Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleR10tGuNn3r

Marijuana, amanita muscaria, and the symbiotic mycorrhizal relationship... *DELETED*
    #8809546 - 08/22/08 04:30 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by R10tGuNn3r

Reason for deletion: A

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: Marijuana, amanita muscaria, and the symbiotic mycorrhizal relationship... [Re: R10tGuNn3r]
    #8809574 - 08/22/08 04:46 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

interesting theory...

Quote:

Anyone every try the amanita as a mycorrhizal for cannabis?

highly highly highly doubtful...

lol good luck with your crazy theory! :tongue2:

--------------------
View My Gallery

Offlinesniffy
I Love Peyote
Male User Gallery

Loc: Wales
Re: Marijuana, amanita muscaria, and the symbiotic mycorrhizal relationship... [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #8810023 - 08/22/08 08:47 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

very interesting

--------------------
:naughty: and  :mushroom2: = :dumblol:

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Re: Marijuana, amanita muscaria, and the symbiotic mycorrhizal relationship... [Re: sniffy]
    #8810261 - 08/22/08 10:09 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Years ago I got a print from sporeworks and tried to inoculate some pine trees near my house. Nothing happened. Good luck

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Offlinengnyus
the madherbalist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Marijuana, amanita muscaria, and the symbiotic mycorrhizal relationship... [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #8813029 - 08/22/08 08:50 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Well I don't know about amanita's, but some weirdo did have a rather large amount of bolets sprout up around his plants during harvest season.

--------------------

You reap what you sow

InvisibleR10tGuNn3r

Re: Marijuana, amanita muscaria, and the symbiotic mycorrhizal relationship... [Re: ngnyus]
    #8813488 - 08/22/08 10:31 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i find it amazing that plants and mushrooms form this relationship in nature, in an imperfect environment... its just a matter of time before someone learns how to do it under controlled circumstances..

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: Marijuana, amanita muscaria, and the symbiotic mycorrhizal relationship... [Re: R10tGuNn3r]
    #8814362 - 08/23/08 04:33 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i think you are wasting your time personally, amanita muscaria is very selective about what type of tree it forms a relationship with...
if it were that easy to get it to hook up with any plant then they would be everywhere...
i've read a few reports of people who managed to artificially introduce birch and a. muscaria, but then again i've read more reports of failed attempts than successful ones...

also i think that it will take more than one season for a. muscaria to get established with a tree/plant so MJ is probably not the ideal candidate to work with.

anyway, why not give it a go, can do no harm...

--------------------
View My Gallery

InvisibleR10tGuNn3r

Re: Marijuana, amanita muscaria, and the symbiotic mycorrhizal relationship... *DELETED* [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #8817235 - 08/23/08 06:17 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by R10tGuNn3r

Reason for deletion: A

OfflineZinglons Acolyte
Wizard Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: Andromeda Galaxy
    #8818544 - 08/24/08 12:50 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

no, cannabis is an annual, it dies after it flowers... i have heard of people making them live longer but there isnt mch of a point as it uses up all its energy on flowering

--------------------
And they wandered off.. nine ways till bedfast.
-----
"And lets pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause theres bugger-all down here on earth!"  -Monty Python's "The Universe Song" from The Meaning of Life
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely considered as a bad move."  -Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
"If the words 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." -Terence McKenna

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Marijuana, amanita muscaria, and the symbiotic mycorrhizal relationship... [Re: Zinglons Acolyte]
    #8818814 - 08/24/08 03:20 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Actually, mj plants in hotter climates (e.g. lowland India) are said to be perennial, becoming actual trees. Buds can be harvested from them, I've seen a photo of one once in a beautiful book; I think it was called "the book of marijuana"; it was a 1980s edition iirc. I'd sure like to get hold of a copy; I haven't encountered it since.

As to the theory: I think the perennial/annual thing is a major problem, as is the fact that a. muscaria is indeed quite picky as to its host. I find it exclusively under birch and oak. As to attempting to grow it indoors: I think it simply wont work due to the arid and warm indoor climate; amanitas typically fruit during autumn, when temperatures are cooling down. This would be quite uncomfortable to emulate indoors. A better solution would be to grow a bonsai accompanied with amanitas, which I suppose would be possible if you can coax muscaria to set up shop in your bonsai pot. If you intend to try this, I suggest using either birch or american oak as a host, as those seem to support muscaria best.

Offlinegreenthumz
Wild Picker
Male User Gallery

Loc: WA state, USA Flag
    #22994449 - 03/10/16 10:55 PM (8 years, 19 days ago)

Interesting thought. It might work. Every species of mushroom has certain hosts it can form symbiosis with, and certain plants that it cant. And some species are more picky than others. For example, morels will grow with any hardwood tree, but they really love oaks and maples. Chantrelles like most evergreens, but they really love spruce and douglas fir. Japanese matsutakes will only form symbiosis with one known species of pine, therefore they are very rare in the wild and practically impossible to cultivate.

But from what Ive read about amanita muscaria, they arent very picky. Theyll grow with any evergreen tree and some hardwoods like oak and maple. (Oak and maple seem to be a good candidate for most mushroom species). Amanita muscaria is also invasive. Meaning as the mycelium spreads outward from a tree, if it approaches another species (like morel) that has symbiosis with a nearby tree, it will start overtaking the other species until it has stolen its host tree.

So if amanita muscaria is not that picky, sure it might grow on cannabis roots. But their fruiting requirements are not the same as cubies. Cubies are tropical and will fruit at room temp. Amanita fruit in colder climates, in fall, right before first frost. So you will need a really cold hardy strain of cannabis and the mushrooms will fruit right before you harvest the buds and kill the plant, in which case you would need to start all over again the next year. Or else sprout your cannabis seeds right into the same pot with the same mycelium colonized substrate every year.

--------------------
Amanita muscaria  -  Gymnopilus luteifolius  -  Psilocybe azurescens

Psilocybe pelliculosa  -  Psilocybe stuntzii

Offlinegreenthumz
Wild Picker
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana, amanita muscaria, and the symbiotic mycorrhizal relationship... [Re: greenthumz]
    #22994504 - 03/10/16 11:12 PM (8 years, 19 days ago)

Koraks, speaking of the bonsai thing haha... funny you should mention that because I was going to try that this year. But as I am a noob at growing mushrooms, I am practicing on shiitakes, oysters, portobellos, cubies, and azurescens before I try to cultivate mycorrhizal mushrooms. I have made a spore slurry of 5 species of morels and chanterelle sitting in my fridge until I feel comfortable enough with my skills to attempt it. But I already have my bonsai's growing and being trained in small pots. Im thinking of making LC with spores, inoculate that into grain, then make a wood-based bonsai soil and sterilize it, rinse the roots of the bonsai tree in peroxidated water, then plant in the bonsai pot with the wood-based soil with some grain spawn mixed in. I am also going to try straight from LC to the wood based soil. I'll be sure to post when I try it, although I probably wont do Amanitas because of their invasiveness. I dont want them fighting off my other mushroom cultures nearby. Besides I dont need to cultivate them because I know several places nearby where I can pick wild ones.

--------------------

Offlinegreenthumz
Wild Picker
Male User Gallery

#22994529 - 03/10/16 11:25 PM (8 years, 19 days ago)

Interesting thought. It might work. Every species of mushroom has certain hosts it can form symbiosis with, and certain plants that it cant. And some species are more picky than others. For example, morels will grow with any hardwood tree, but they really love oaks and maples. Chantrelles like most evergreens, but they really love spruce and douglas fir. Japanese matsutakes will only form symbiosis with one known species of pine, therefore they are very rare in the wild and practically impossible to cultivate.

But from what Ive read about amanita muscaria, they arent very picky. Theyll grow with any evergreen tree and some hardwoods like oak and maple. (Oak and maple seem to be a good candidate for most mushroom species). Amanita muscaria is also invasive. Meaning as the mycelium spreads outward from a tree, if it approaches another species (like morel) that has symbiosis with a nearby tree, it will start overtaking the other species until it has stolen its host tree.

So if amanita muscaria is not that picky, sure it might grow on cannabis roots. But their fruiting requirements are not the same as cubies. Cubies are tropical and will fruit at room temp. Amanita fruit in colder climates, in fall, right before first frost. So you will need a really cold hardy strain of cannabis and the mushrooms will fruit right before you harvest the buds and kill the plant, in which case you would need to start all over again the next year. Or else sprout your cannabis seeds right into the same pot with the same mycelium colonized substrate every year.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds