Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehyper_dermic
stranger withcandy

Loc: the land of excess
Cool Mist Break-in Period
    #880937 - 09/12/02 04:51 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, so today i did a test run on my 2 new terraniums w/cool mist
i got 2 rubbermaid terrs. hooked up to a cool mist with about 3 feet of 1in PVC
today was the 1st day i ran the cool mist, and i can only get the terraniums to about 80% humidity
the room is about 44%
im wondering what the problem is... it rises up to about 70ish pretty easily, then hangs tight around 80.... i cant reach my target 98%

is this due to the "break-in" period?
in the inset, it says that max output of the cool mist wont be acheived untill i use it a few times....
has anyone else expirenced problems like this before?

any ideas?

[hyp]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: Cool Mist Break-in Period [Re: hyper_dermic]
    #880969 - 09/12/02 05:33 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Is your RH guage acurate at high humidity? I hear that you have to get a high quality one to get accurate measure at high humidity? I seem to get the same trouble. Mine never reads higher than 85% with room RH being about 30-35%. I assumed it was just a cheap guage that just didn't measure accurate that high. I heard you can test it with a warm wet washcloth wrapped around it.

How to measure with two termometers:

YOU NEED:
2 thermometers
1 rubber band
1 cup of room temperature water
1 paper towel

DO THIS:

1. Select two thermometers that are reading the same temperature.

2. Wrap the paper towel around the bulb of one of the thermometers and hold it there with the rubber band.

3. Wet the paper towel in the cup of water. Wait 5 minutes.

4. There should be a difference in the temperatures of the two thermometers. Record the two temperatures and subtract them to get the difference.

5. Use the chart on the next page to estimate the relative humidity.

Dry Bulb Temperature ______________________

Wet Bulb Temperature______________________

Difference______________________

Relative Humidity Chart

Relative Humidity______________________

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Edited by mntlfngrs (09/12/02 05:41 PM)

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #880990 - 09/12/02 06:02 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

My setup did the same thing with only one rubbermaid. I shortned the piping to way less than what I was told you can do and got my RH up. I havn't run into any problems with the short pipes, it works fine now.

It takes a woman twenty years to make a man of her son, and another woman twenty minutes to make a fool of him--- Helen Rowland

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineweedeater
even stranger
    #881115 - 09/12/02 09:53 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Are you running the humidifier constantly?

Offlinehyper_dermic
stranger withcandy

Re: Cool Mist Break-in Period [Re: weedeater]
    #881789 - 09/13/02 09:34 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

im running it for as long as it takes to get my damn humitidity up......
i got 2 humidity gauges, one is the radio shack brand, the other is a wall-mart brand,
the wallmart one says i got humidity up to like 90+ but its a piece of shit and i dont trust it, the radio shack one says around 80.... thats the one i trust.....

i only have about 3 feet of pipe connecting the humidifier...
i suppose im gonna have to shorten the length of pipeing......

[hyp]

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #882100 - 09/13/02 12:11 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Like I said I shortend the pipes and no problems. I also run my coolmist 24/7 so there is a constant air exchange. I'm on my second flush with this set up and I haven't even seen a abort with it yet. I credit this to the constant air exchange.
Shorten the pipes you'll like the results.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand--- Unknown

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinehyper_dermic
stranger withcandy

Re: Cool Mist Break-in Period [Re: Magash]
    #882232 - 09/13/02 01:25 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Ok so i shortened the pipes down to a little under 1 foot....
i have a 90Degree elbow cop connecting to the coolmist output hole, then about 1 foot of pipe at a sleight angle to a "T" connector that splits the mist between 2 rubbermaids....

for right now, i taped off the hole to one of the rubbermaids...

now even with this setup it took forever to get the humidity to about 80ish and it just froze.... no movement....
so i tried cutting 2 little vents at the bottem for C02 escape.... still 80ish

so i got fed up and misted the walls of the terranium, and low and behold i got 90.... then the coolmist broought it up to about 95..... then it held there... it took a good 30-40 min to get it up to 95....
this shit is driving me crazy... i cant shorten it anymore....
and im only trying to do 1 of my 2 terraniums.....

what im thinking of doing is using perlite for humidity, and having the cool mist come on every hour for about 10 min or so for fresh air excange......
i spend alot of time away from home, so i cant be around to mist and fan the fuckers 3 times a day.....
thats why i opted for a cool mist, but its not working out....
ah well....

[hyp]

Offlinehyper_dermic
stranger withcandy

Re: Cool Mist Break-in Period [Re: Magash]
    #882233 - 09/13/02 01:25 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Ok so i shortened the pipes down to a little under 1 foot....
i have a 90Degree elbow cop connecting to the coolmist output hole, then about 1 foot of pipe at a sleight angle to a "T" connector that splits the mist between 2 rubbermaids....

for right now, i taped off the hole to one of the rubbermaids...

now even with this setup it took forever to get the humidity to about 80ish and it just froze.... no movement....
so i tried cutting 2 little vents at the bottem for C02 escape.... still 80ish

so i got fed up and misted the walls of the terranium, and low and behold i got 90.... then the coolmist broought it up to about 95..... then it held there... it took a good 30-40 min to get it up to 95....
this shit is driving me crazy... i cant shorten it anymore....
and im only trying to do 1 of my 2 terraniums.....

what im thinking of doing is using perlite for humidity, and having the cool mist come on every hour for about 10 min or so for fresh air excange......
i spend alot of time away from home, so i cant be around to mist and fan the fuckers 3 times a day.....
thats why i opted for a cool mist, but its not working out....
ah well....

[hyp]

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: hyper_dermic]
    #882407 - 09/13/02 02:54 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #882729 - 09/13/02 05:58 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

What is room temp . What is tank temp ?
Do not forget when you add items that hold the moisture i.e compost,casings , or cakes . it becomes easier for your sysytem to maintain rH . Sort of like an empty refrigerator is harder to get cold .
Also external temps and rH and dew point can effect your artificial environment .
And plan on a mist or two each day , as long as you can maintain 85% at bare minimum most the day , you'll be okay until you mist once or twice .  :cool:
May the mushroom godess bless you're endeavors ! 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cool Mist Break-in Period [Re: matts]
    #883571 - 09/14/02 06:35 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

All it will take is some effort, and you will eventually get the setup to work perfectly. All you need is the coolmist and a sterlite with some holes. There is no instant gratification in this hobby, so don't be so impatient. This setup can give give the mushrooms almost exactly what they want, as long as you understand their needs and the slight modifications needed(for the setup) to achieve them.

Perlite cannot touch this method if it is done right. Just look at some of dudes pics in previous posts.

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cool Mist Break-in Period [Re: Olgualion]
    #883576 - 09/14/02 06:38 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I would recommend you use 5/8 in ID hose and connect it to the sterlite/rubbermaid and use some silicone so that you don't lose a lot of air/humidity on its way from the one to the other.

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Offlinegroingrinder
mycophiliac

#883877 - 09/15/02 05:45 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I had the same problem because air was leaking out around the top of my rubbermaid. With the cool mist running run your hand around the lid of your stearlite fruiting chamber. If you feel coolness then you have an air leak and need to use weatherstripping or find some way to tighten the lid . Also you do not want the vent hole for co2 to be too big mine is about one half inch across. I would use epoxy putty around all hose connections also.

--------------------
Let's not confuse truth with reality.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix