Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Criminals dumping weak US dollar for euro [CAN]
    #8812387 - 08/22/08 05:41 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Criminals dumping weak US dollar for euro
August 22, 2008 -AFP

OTTAWA (AFP) — The weakened US dollar has fallen out of favor with organized crime groups to pay for drug shipments or to settle scores, a Canadian government report said Friday.

And if the greenback continues its slide in 2008, as expected, more and more criminals are likely to exchange euros for illicit goods, said Criminal Intelligence Service Canada in its annual report.

"The US dollar weakened significantly against other major currencies in 2007 and according to some economists, is expected to depreciate further in 2008," said the report.

"As a consequence, other currencies -- particularly the euro -- are poised to weaken the US dollar's dominance as the currency of choice for international remittances and payments," it said.

"This trend could also drive an increase in observed instances of bulk-cash transfers denominated in currencies other than Canadian and US dollars," the report added.

Organized criminal groups, topping 900 in Canada, are primarily focused on the illicit drug trade, but have also expanded into credit card fraud, organ trafficking, identity theft and even illegal logging of Canada's vast forests, said the report.

"The illicit drug market remains the largest criminal market in terms of extent, scope, and the degree of involvement by the majority of organized crime groups," many of them operating across international borders, it said.

Marijuana remains one of the most trafficked illicit drugs in Canada, and crops harvested here supply much of Canada and the United States.

Methamphetamine production in Canada, meanwhile, has risen to meet expanding international demand with several "super labs" set up for foreign distribution of late.

As well, Canada, the Netherlands and Belgium are now the primary source of ecstasy to the world, said the report.

Canadian forests, representing one tenth of the world's forested area, are vulnerable to illegal harvesting "due to their relative abundance, isolation, and the large number of logging access roads," it explained.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIrieforester
Head to toe inH2O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: That state seperating fro...
Re: Criminals dumping weak US dollar for euro [CAN] [Re: veggie]
    #8812617 - 08/22/08 06:46 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Marijuana remains one of the most trafficked illicit drugs in Canada, and crops harvested here supply much of Canada and the United States.

Where do these people get their facts?
Since when does Canadian weed supply most of the U.S.?

--------------------
I am still and forever learning

Apollyphelion said:
You can learn A LOT from shitting in the right set and setting!:thumbup:

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
Re: Criminals dumping weak US dollar for euro [CAN] [Re: Irieforester]
    #8812791 - 08/22/08 07:45 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Irieforester said:
Quote:

i believe it's propaganda to get canada to tighten the rope on their drug laws.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: Criminals dumping weak US dollar for euro [CAN] [Re: highdroponics]
    #8814506 - 08/23/08 06:54 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It doesn't say MOST, it says MUCH of the U.S. and Canada, which is true to some degree.

Now, for the weakened U.S. dollar...Its Bush's fault.

--------------------

Offlineclover606
Stranger
Male
Re: Criminals dumping weak US dollar for euro [CAN] [Re: MHbound]
    #8814864 - 08/23/08 09:20 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

northern states do get ALOT of beasters

--------------------
grassman said:

I remember being in DARE when i was much younger and some of the stories they would tell you are not only ridiculous, but completely untrue. One story was that a woman was on LSD and thought her infant was a turkey so she baked it in the oven. Now I look back and think thats hilarious, but at the time I guess it scared me.

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
Re: Criminals dumping weak US dollar for euro [CAN] [Re: MHbound]
    #8815024 - 08/23/08 10:14 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MHbound said:

Now, for the weakened U.S. dollar...Its Bush's fault.

Chairman of the Federal Reserve has more influence on the dollar.

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: Criminals dumping weak US dollar for euro [CAN] [Re: Cowgold]
    #8815810 - 08/23/08 01:55 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

That may be true, but I want to blame everything on Bush.

--------------------

OfflineCerveau
Love your life!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Criminals dumping weak US dollar for euro [CAN] [Re: highdroponics]
    #8815837 - 08/23/08 02:02 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

highdroponics said:
Quote:

Irieforester said:
Quote:

i believe it's propaganda to get canada to tighten the rope on their drug laws.

I live in New England and we get Canadian bud pretty often. This claim doesn't surprise me the slightest. I'm not going to agree or disagree with it but I will say we have access to some great Canadian greenery.

--------------------
:cerveau:

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Criminals dumping weak US dollar for euro [CAN] [Re: Cerveau]
    #8816187 - 08/23/08 03:02 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yea I bet Canada is less than Mexican bud for distro in the US not it's major supplier.

Though this is a big deal since it represents the first free dollar market dumping the USD and that is a huge precedent. The eventual problems are decline in loans in USD and eventually OPEC switching the to the euro as the denomination of oil trade. However, there is still time for the market to rebound in the US and save their dollar.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom