Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCoolguy
Stranger
What kind of coco coir to buy?
    #8812489 - 08/22/08 06:14 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

My friend is planning doing a rye spawn to bulk substrate. He wants to make sure that he gets everything right. He would like to know what kind of Coco Coir to purchase in the thread he has been following it shows two different kinds. One that looks like powder and one that looks like fibers, if my friend was calling around to pet stores what would he specifically be asking for, or if my friend was to buy online can anyone suggest somewhere with reasonable price and shipping?

My friend thanks you
Coolguy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedjblackout
supreme scratch masta

Re: What kind of coco coir to buy? [Re: Coolguy]
    #8812495 - 08/22/08 06:16 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

go to petsmart.

they dont call it coco coir so look around

itll be in a brick and commonly refereed to as coco husk

most of the time on the back itll show a bucket with water[preparation instructions]

--------------------
I am the fakest person on this site. I only pretend to grow and consume illegal mushrooms. I have no knowledge what so ever on any scheduled substance because I know and respect the governing law in the United States of America. All pictures and dialogue posted by me is entirley copyrighted from those who wish to knowingly ignore the laws. I only post these messages as a mere propaganda technique used to gain attention and admiration from others. Thank You

OfflineSkekTek
Lurker
Male

Loc: South Florida
    #8812499 - 08/22/08 06:16 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

This should be interesting. I know someone getting ready to do the same thing.
He bought his in a brick from the pet store, but hasn't gotten to the step where he needs it yet.

Offlinedjblackout
supreme scratch masta

Re: What kind of coco coir to buy? [Re: SkekTek]
    #8812524 - 08/22/08 06:24 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i <3 coir.

--------------------
I am the fakest person on this site. I only pretend to grow and consume illegal mushrooms. I have no knowledge what so ever on any scheduled substance because I know and respect the governing law in the United States of America. All pictures and dialogue posted by me is entirley copyrighted from those who wish to knowingly ignore the laws. I only post these messages as a mere propaganda technique used to gain attention and admiration from others. Thank You

Offlinewillowmp
Medical Psychedelic Mushrooms
Male User Gallery

Re: What kind of coco coir to buy? [Re: djblackout]
    #8812539 - 08/22/08 06:28 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

reptile section

under names such as repti-bark, ecobrick, ect.

it looks like a brown brick of compressed stuff

--------------------
"Fuck it too much Im outta wittbhjkhbhkjsrglhkrgl g I DEE JEUD."
-Because it made sense on xanax and booze...

OfflineCoolguy
Stranger
Re: What kind of coco coir to buy? [Re: willowmp]
    #8812596 - 08/22/08 06:39 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks!

Offlinesoulsizzle
nobody f**kswith The Jesus

#8813366 - 08/22/08 10:01 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Not fibers for the record. Eco Earth and Bed-A-Beast are the most common brands I see at the store.

--------------------

Offlinerobanero
β Lib
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in Tx
Re: What kind of coco coir to buy? [Re: soulsizzle]
    #8813402 - 08/22/08 10:10 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

One of the cheapest even with shipping HERE. You will pay about $5 for one brig at a pet store. These are $4.99 for three and 9.99 for shipping in the CT zone I think.

--------------------

310 open cap Hawaiians grown a 1 pint WBSF cake.

SPAWN RATIO CALCULATOR

My Little Hawaiians

Spawn Bag Tek

OfflineDreadlox
Stranger
Re: What kind of coco coir to buy? [Re: robanero]
    #8814607 - 08/23/08 07:49 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

When I used the coir from the pet store (treated) my grow did horrible/failed. Moved back to Cocogrow (organic coir) and I was back on the highway. Plus it was way cheaper! $3 a brick or $15 for a bale.  Whatever works for you though.

Edited by Dreadlox (08/23/08 07:50 AM)

Offlinerobanero
β Lib
Male User Gallery

Re: What kind of coco coir to buy? [Re: Dreadlox]
    #8819500 - 08/24/08 10:10 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Did you get trech on that pet store coir? Any time you use coir you should boil the water put the coir in a container with a lid and ad the boiling water and let it set until it cools. This will kill all of the bad stuff.

--------------------

SPAWN RATIO CALCULATOR

My Little Hawaiians

Spawn Bag Tek

OfflineDreadlox
Stranger
    #8819773 - 08/24/08 11:41 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Actually I did. Hydrated it with boiling water for 1 hour (5 gallon bucket w/ lid) and then pasteurized (Hpoo + Coir) it for 2 hours at 155. I can't say for certain that the coir was the culprit. It was just the only thing I changed and then changed back again to not having this problem.

Another thing from my observations...
If you compare cocogro with the pet coir. You can see that the quality is much better. From color, texture, and smell.
I even thought twice about it when some of the pet coir brick was a dark green, but went ahead with it anyways. Used it for a total of 3 decent attempts throughout a 3 month period.

Cocogro description:

American Agritech has sourced the world?s most premium coir fiber. Cocogro? has a very low salt content that is available in ??? double-sieved long fibers to reduce dust and give ample space within the mix. Cocogro? has excellent drainage properties and can be used over a longer period of time than coir fiber with shorter fibers. With longer fibers and reduced dust, growers will experience an optimal air to water ratio, which is vital for strong root development. Cocogro? is unique because it is not chemically treated like other coir fibers on the market. Cocogro? is a superior coir fiber because it is aged a minimum of 18 months and has finished its decomposition stage. In addition, Cocogro? passes through at least three monsoon seasons, which naturally washes away harmful salts out of the final product. Most other coir fibers are only 4 to 5 months old and have excessive potassium and salts and thus have to be chemically treated. 100% organic coir fiber. Optimum air to water ratio. Superior plant yields versus conventional potting soil. Flushed of excess sodium.

Offlinerobanero
β Lib
Male User Gallery

Re: What kind of coco coir to buy? [Re: Dreadlox]
    #8821219 - 08/24/08 05:21 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Very interesting most coco for growing is treated with trech because it is beneficial for plants. I use the eco earth without any probs. How much does Cocogro cost?

--------------------

SPAWN RATIO CALCULATOR

My Little Hawaiians

Spawn Bag Tek

OfflineDreadlox
Stranger
    #8821387 - 08/24/08 06:12 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I ordered mine from Hydro Harrys (hydroharrys.com) cheapest I could find. Only 15 dollars a bale. There is a $50-55 min order amount to get free shipping in the US. Well worth it for those hard to find items.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds