Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
American pilots charged.
    #881356 - 09/13/02 03:02 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

U.S. pilots charged in friendly fire bombing

By DARREN YOURK
Globe and Mail Update

The U.S. Air Force has laid criminal charges against two fighter pilots involved in a bombing that killed four Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan.

Major Harry Schmidt was charged with four counts of manslaughter and eight counts of assault. He also was charged with failing to exercise appropriate flight discipline and not complying with the U.S. military's rules for firing weapons in Afghanistan.

Major William Umbach, the flight commander, was charged with negligently failing to exercise appropriate flight command and control and to ensure compliance with the rules for firing on a target, the Pentagon said.

The charges were recommended by Air Force Brig.-Gen. Stephen T. Sargeant, who was co-director of a joint U.S.-Canadian investigation board that studied the circumstances of the April 17 incident.

These charges are only accusations," a Pentagon announcement said. "Both officers are presumed innocent."

In June, U.S. and Canadian inquiries released heavily censored reports on the accident, coming down hard on the actions of the two pilots, Major Harry Schmidt and Major William Umbach. The reports said that they rushed to action and failed to exercise the appropriate leadership.

On April 17, near Tarnak Farms, Afghanistan, close to Kandahar, soldiers of Alpha Company, 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, were engaged in a nighttime training exercise involving live fire, when two U.S. F-16s flew over their position while returning from a mission.

The flight lead, Major Umbach, noticed what he called "fireworks" coming from the area where the Canadian infantry were training, and he interpreted that as surface-to-air fire. He asked for and received permission from the Airborne Warning and Control System aircraft, (AWACS), to determine the precise co-ordinates of the source.

His wingman, Major Schmidt, asked for permission to fire on the location, but was told to stand by. The AWACS then asked for additional information on the situation, while ordering the pilots to hold fire. Major Schmidt, after providing the information, declared that he was under attack and was "rolling in." He released a 250-kilogram laser-guided bomb.

Killed were Sergeant Marc L?ger, 29, of Lancaster, Ont.; Private Richard Green, 21, of Mill Cove, N.S.; Corporal Ainsworth Dyer, 25, of Montreal; and Private Nathan Smith, 27, of Tatamagouche, N.S.

With reports from The Globe and Mail's Daniel Leblanc

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/front/RTGAM/20020913/wfire0913/Front/homeBN/breakingnews

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
Re: American pilots charged. [Re: Phluck]
    #881445 - 09/13/02 03:43 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Way to go, catch those bad guys!

Sort of related--when I was a young fool I was in the Army, and at AIT (specialized training following boot camp) everybody would go and hang out by the base store and drink beer. 

There were a good four or five dozen of us on any given night, a bunch of dumb shits sitting around a grassy spot beside the store, blowing all our cash on beer.  I was 18, and so were most of us.  One day the company commander waltzed in, picked out the baby facest of us, and demanded to see his ID.  Of course, the dude was 18, and what a scandal that was to this company commander who loved his company down to the soldier.  The next day in formation we heard all about how terrible it was of this soldier to do that.  We all looked at each other and shook our heads.  Poor dude, got court marshalled or something.

That night it was business as usual at the watering hole.  It was the only time the CC ever paid a visit there during my 10-week stay.  And I should know, I was there almost every night... :shocked:

Figure: the army knows the average age of its soldiers.  It knows also the volume of alcohol being sold at any given store.  Of course, it also knows how much revenue that pulls in.  Damn scapegoatists. 

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Canada
    #881637 - 09/13/02 10:14 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Good to see, they were very negligent those two pilots and I think that this will bring some closure to those families who lost loved ones in that tradgedy.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #881778 - 09/13/02 11:30 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If found guilty, it will be interesting to see what the penalty is.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
Post deleted by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST [Re: Thor]
    #881792 - 09/13/02 11:37 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: American pilots charged. [Re: vatoloco]
    #881797 - 09/13/02 11:39 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

"Major William Umbach, the flight commander, was charged with negligently failing to exercise appropriate flight command and control and to ensure compliance with the rules for firing on a target, the Pentagon said."

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
    #882820 - 09/13/02 08:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If these pilots get convected: I surely hope that they stop calling it FRIENDLY FIRE (my ass!)

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion