Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblegubi
Shroomaholic

Loc: Middle Earth
PC coffee grounds?
    #8812976 - 08/22/08 08:35 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

When you all get your spent coffee grounds from a coffee shop, do you pc them before you add to your substrate, or just pasteurize? The last time I used them I made the coffee myself and just added it to coir just before I pasteurized so the grounds were fresh, and I had no problems. This time I got them from a local coffee shop and didn't pc them or anything, just tossed them into my bucket with coir and pasteurized. All 3 of my monotubs got cobweb (I believe, was dark grey) then after I sprayed with h2o2 they all turned green where I sprayed.

Was trying to figure out where I goofed, could it be from not pcing the coffee grounds or not drying them out 1st? Or from adding the gypsum after pasteurization?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesoulsizzle
nobody f**kswith The Jesus

Re: PC coffee grounds? [Re: gubi]
    #8813357 - 08/22/08 10:00 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I've always just pasteurized my coffee grounds along with the coir. I've done it both in my steam-sterilization tub and with the simply add boiling water to a 5-gallon bucket method. Both ways worked out fine.

What was your pasteurization method, btw?

Also, if you sprayed your contam with h2o2 and it turned green, it wasn't cobweb. Cobweb isn't exactly dark grey. Only slightly darker than healthy mycelium. I would say (only a guess without a pic) that it was trich. It more than likely hadn't dropped any spores (which give trich its green color) before you sprayed.

--------------------

Invisiblegubi
Shroomaholic

Re: PC coffee grounds? [Re: soulsizzle]
    #8813478 - 08/22/08 10:28 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I pasteurize by taking a 5gal bucket and adding 185 degree water to the coffee coir in there, cover it and let it sit for a few hours until it becomes cooler. I did not check the ph of the mixture as I have not read anything about checking ph on spawning to bulk, only when doing casings.... this was uncased.
This one I sprayed the crap out of with h2o2. The one I only sprayed in a few spots only has green in the exact spots I sprayed.

OfflineJuke Adro
I love peach fluff
 User Gallery

Loc: Inside your head
    #8813518 - 08/22/08 10:39 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

h2o2 is for cobweb only! nothing else why people spray other things is just silly and a waste of time

--------------------
Someone said:  im actually not using ms, im using prints.
Trade List

Invisiblegubi
Shroomaholic

#8813519 - 08/22/08 10:40 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It's most definitely trich. I swabbed it and it jumped right onto the Q-tip. Guess I need to check the ph before I spawn and get some sort of ph balancer or something.?. :mad:

--------------------
I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.    ~ Thomas Edison

Invisiblegubi
Shroomaholic

Re: PC coffee grounds? [Re: Juke Adro]
    #8813535 - 08/22/08 10:43 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Juke Adro said:
h2o2 is for cobweb only! nothing else why people spray other things is just silly and a waste of time

As I said, I had grey matter that I thought was cobweb mold and I sprayed it with h2o2 and it dissolved on contact, THEN the green stuff came about 1 day after the spray.

Invisiblegubi
Shroomaholic

#8818101 - 08/23/08 10:31 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I'm looking for experienced info that would lead me to a positive turn out the next time around. I'm trying to find out where I went wrong. The only thing I did differently this time was using coffee shop grounds and adding gypsum after pasteurization. Any POSITIVE and HELPFUL comments are greatly appreciated.

--------------------
I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.    ~ Thomas Edison

OfflineJuke Adro
I love peach fluff
 User Gallery

Loc: Inside your head
    #8818413 - 08/23/08 11:59 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

pasteurize everything together see how it goes.

--------------------
Someone said:  im actually not using ms, im using prints.
Trade List

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: PC coffee grounds? [Re: Juke Adro]
    #8818684 - 08/24/08 02:00 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

There is tric growing independently from all corners of your tub. I'm no expert but this suggest that it was in the casing or sub from pasteurization.
I assume you cased with peat/verm from what I see, did you forget to add 5% lime and 5% gypsum to your casing layer to keep the ph from being too acidic. Peat moss is naturally acidic (ph=3.8-4.8) and tric loves the shit.
Most subs don't have a problem unless they are sterilized or poorly pasteurized, I don't think it's the coffee. More than likely it's your spawn if not your casing. Some spawn jars don't show contamination because the tric spawn is similar looking to the myc. It's been known to happen that people have fruited contaminated jars unknowingly.

Edit: wait did you say you added coffee grounds and gypsum after pasteurization. If it's just the gypsum it may not be the problem but it's not a good idea to add anything after pasteurizing.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Edited by ScavengerType (08/24/08 02:02 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: PC coffee grounds? [Re: ScavengerType]
    #8819309 - 08/24/08 09:07 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Pasteurize, never sterilize coffee grinds or you're asking for contamination.

Always pasteurize all ingredients together, never add ANYthing that hasn't been pasteurized.  Don't lime or otherwise pH alter substrates.  Cubensis prefers a pH of around 5.5 to 6.5, so save the lime for your casing layer.  Only add gypsum to the substrate mix.

Normally when a substrate or casing gets trichoderma like that prior to first flush, it means the spawn was contaminated, so the other errors may or may not be the cause, but it's important to note for future grows.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblegubi
Shroomaholic

Re: PC coffee grounds? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8821933 - 08/24/08 08:07 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I didn't case it. I smelled my wbs before before I mixed it in with my substrate and it smelled fine and only took 11 days to colonize. I added the gypsum after I pasteurized, it was "palletized gypsum", it's brown in color, but gypsum all the same. Pasteurized coffee/coir together just like I did the last time. The only reason I thought it may be the coffee grounds was cause they were sitting out in a garbage bag when I picked them up. Didn't know if 185 degree water would kill all the bacteria in there. I guess I'll just try the same method next time but pasteurize the gypsum too.

--------------------

Offlinedrwatson
Slacker
 User Gallery

Loc: nowhere land
Re: PC coffee grounds? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8821959 - 08/24/08 08:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Pasteurize, never sterilize coffee grinds or you're asking for contamination.
RR

If that's the case than no wonder I've failed 80% of the time I've experimented with coffee!  I sterilize everything except coir (which I'll pasteurize)  :crankey:

OfflineFuknRowdy
Mountain Dewshbag... EXTREME!!!
Male
Loc: Yer Mom's House
Re: PC coffee grounds? [Re: drwatson]
    #8822013 - 08/24/08 08:24 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Just curious, why would sterilizing invite contamination more than pastuerizing? Kill of good bacteria or something? And can someone provide a link to a detailed tek about coffee and why it's used? I can't seem to find any good reasons why it's used, or how to use it lol.

Offlinemdistruktq
Stranger

Re: PC coffee grounds? [Re: FuknRowdy]
    #8822106 - 08/24/08 08:41 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yes sterilizing kills the helpful bacteria that helps keep the various nasties from your substrate. A sterile block of substrate is like a big sign that says "FIRST THING TO GET HERE GETS A BUNCH OF FREE FOOD AND A NICE PLACE TO LIVE".

EDIT:

I can't give a link to a tek, but coffee is often added to coir to add the nitrogen that coir lacks.

Edited by mdistruktq (08/24/08 08:42 PM)

OfflineFuknRowdy
Mountain Dewshbag... EXTREME!!!
Male
Loc: Yer Mom's House
Re: PC coffee grounds? [Re: mdistruktq]
    #8822167 - 08/24/08 08:52 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I just found a great explanation of using 50/50 coffee, not coffee grounds to soak WBS in, search "coffee tek."

Maybe a WBS cake is in order with some of this new info!

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#8822196 - 08/24/08 08:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mdistruktq said: A sterile block of substrate is like a big sign that says "FIRST THING TO GET HERE GETS A BUNCH OF FREE FOOD AND A NICE PLACE TO LIVE".

Best explanation of sterilization of a sub ever.

first off 185 is a little high pasteurization should be above 170 and not exceed 180, I think 175 is the recommended temp.

Second of all that pelletized gypsum is gota go. If it dissolves in hot water then put it in your sub then mix it before you add spawn to ensure the gypsum is well mixed. If not you will need to manually grind it down to granules roughly a bit denser than coffee grounds. Mashed up gyproc with the paper removed makes gypsum powder as well but not if you use the bathroom variety, (usually it's green instead of white) it has a fungicide in it.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#8822218 - 08/24/08 09:01 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

robanero has a WBSF cake in his sig and it has a crazy pin-set.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate