Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

Herb Garden
    #8811652 - 08/22/08 04:47 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

So im planning on making a little herb garden in my window and then moving back outside after winter. Any recommendations on herbs to grow? Preferably ones that are easy to grow, and used often in cooking. IE, I want herbs I will not kill, and be able to use!

And does anyone have seeds or anything for herbs?

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAngered Roach

Re: Herb Garden [Re: Yarry]
    #8814871 - 08/23/08 11:22 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Basil is a great one.  Nothing beats fresh basil.  Other than having to prune it all the time to keep the flowers from coming up, it's easy to take care of.

I'd also reccomend parsley, sage, rosemary, chives, and thyme.  Keep the Rosemary in a seperate container from the other herbs.  Basil, parsley and the like are water lovers, and Rosemary is a drought lover.

If it's spring time, Dill and Cilantro are great herbs and very tasty.  They can also be grown in the summer, but it's a massive pain in the ass, such that I don't usually bother.  Both of these plants, when the weather turns warm, starts bolting, or producing flowers.  Once they start, it won't stop, and the flavor of the herb will be ruined once this process begins.  If you are growing either herb and see flowers on them, harvest the whole plant and plant a new one.

Herbs have to be cut back very frequently, which should be no problem if they are being harvested on a regular basis.  Otherwise, they can grow in undesirable ways, getting tough, bitter leaves, or long, woody stems.

Offlinetrillby33
Female User Gallery

Re: Herb Garden [Re: Angered Roach]
    #8831814 - 08/26/08 07:57 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Mint. It's almost impossible to kill once it gets established. The only thing you have to be careful about it letting it get out of control. DO NOT plant it in the same container with other herbs as it will overtake them and strangle them out. Personally, I like the flavour of spearmint better, though it is a little bit slower to get going than peppermint.
Basil is also a good choice, even though it has been giving me headaches trying to get it going this year, it ordinarily is very simple and will produce lots of useful bits. The flowers which have to be removed frequently are a lovely snack or make a delicately sweet tea.
Rosemary, like mint, is very hardy once it gets established, and can even overwinter outdoors in many places...as long as it's not below freezing for TOO long, it does just fine in winter, assuming it was well established beforehand.
Also, if you can get your hands on some lemon grass, the stuff is wonderful and easy to grow. Hard to find though, Iv'e been looking around here for two years and still haven't found plants. :frown:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing