Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNorton
Semi-Newbie
Female
Semi-Newbie Wants Some Feedback
    #8810649 - 08/22/08 11:28 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hello, everyone!

Im not exactly new to growing. A friend and I used to grow using the PF Tek. However, Im trying it on my own for the first time, and its been a few years for me.

Heres my story so far:

I sterilized my BRF/vermiculite substrate in 1/2 pint canning jars with double layers of tinfoil for lids, using a pc five days ago. There were no visible contams, and the water content looked alright, so I inoculated last night. Even though Ive finished already, Im still debating whether I should have ghetto-rigged a glovebox.

Instead, I wiped down my work surface with anti-bacterial wipes. I washed my hands thoroughly with anti-bac soap a few times, then used anti-bac hand gel. I wore a disposable dust mask. I sterilized the needles with flame, and re-sterilized them if they touched anything except for a clean paper towel.

I removed the top layers of foil from each jar, and put 4 small strips of electrical tape on the sides of the top of each jar, without pressing it down. I inoculated each jar in 4 spots near the tape. I pressed the tape over each puncture in the foil immediately after removing the needle.

I replaced the top layers of foil on all jars. I plan to leave them that way until colonization is roughly 50% complete, upon which Ill remove the top layers of foil.

I put the jars in a rubbermaid tub, and threw a blanket over it. Immediately, my cats tried to sabotage my little operation. One simply pulled the blanket off. Another jumped into the tub, taking the blanket with him and knocking over a jar or two in the process. My small house consists of three rooms - living room/kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom. The only room off-limits to guests is the bedroom, and therefore the only place for my jars. The bedroom has no door (just curtains for privacy), and there is no possibility of installing a door, the way its set up - so no way to keep the cats out of there. I got fed up with the blanket fiasco, and covered the tub with the plastic lid that came with it. I left the lid loose, though.

On to the questions.

Question 1: Should I have used a glovebox? Or were my methods ok for the inoc? (I have a 1/2" layer of dry vermiculite in each jar).

Question 2: Am I correct in planning the remove the top layers of foil after colonization is well on its way?

Question 3: It seems a blanket is out of the question to keep my jars dark. Will the plastic lid suffice? If not, any suggestions?

Question 4: While pulling the plastic cap off of one the syringes, the needle came out with it. I screwed the needle back in ASAP... Do you think the syringe might have been contaminated by that?

Ill greatly appreciate any help or feedback you guys can give me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIzangi
He who Invites
Male User Gallery

Loc: In a field in FL
Re: Semi-Newbie Wants Some Feedback [Re: Norton]
    #8810897 - 08/22/08 12:17 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Don't really worry about lighting for the jars...a glove box is a nice investment I would go make one for future grows there not expensive and saves a lot of grief.

--------------------
chris606 said:
some 1 told me to try long brown rice and water and vermiculite and pressure cook for 1 hour i did but nothing happen that is y was wonting to no if i need spores
RogerRabbit said:
Nothing gets more sterile than red hot.

All posts are intended for fictional or educational purposes only.

No statements in any post or message by myself should be taken as fact. Use of contained information or opinions may be in violation of local, provincial, and/or federal laws.

Offlinedstark
Manifesting Minds
Male User Gallery

Re: Semi-Newbie Wants Some Feedback [Re: Izangi]
    #8811087 - 08/22/08 12:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

2. Yes you will be fine.

3. What you mean? you dont have any dark corner in your house?

4.You might get lucky and not, almost usre you will be allright, next time pull it out, wipe with alcohol and insolate :smile:

--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

OfflineNorton
Semi-Newbie
Female
Re: Semi-Newbie Wants Some Feedback [Re: dstark]
    #8811128 - 08/22/08 01:04 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

3. What you mean? you dont have any dark corner in your house?

Suprisingly, no I don't. Even with the curtains drawn, there is no dark place during the day. The one closet we have has no doors. Basically, I need to have some kind of cover over the container. I'm just worried that with the plastic lid, they won't get enough gas exchange.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck