Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBennyProfane
Alcoholic Pseudointellectual
Male

Could I have permanently fuckt my place for grows?
    #8810272 - 08/22/08 10:11 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I posted a question similiar to this a month or so ago and didn't get a good response so I'm trying again.
Is it possible to permanently fuk up your work area to the point that you are guaranteed contams every time?
    When I was a super-uber 1/2pint TiT newb I had a dozen contaminated BRF cakes that I pounded out into a garbage bag and let sit in my small 600 sq. ft. total apartment for 3-4 days or so.  Am I permanently fukt?
    I ask just cause every grain jar I do comes up contaminated and my inoculation procedues since then are above and beyond what alot of folks do.
    I do mini bleach bombs every day, spraying down a different area with 1:10 bleach solution, trying to kill any mold spores that my dumbass spread.

--------------------
All of my posts are completely fictional.  I post info and pics stolen from other sources because I wan't to appear to be cool to others.

Pity makes suffering contagious - Nietzsche

Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously! - Nietzsche

Convictions are more dangerous to the truth than lies - Nietzsche

There was only one Christian, and he died on the cross for his own sins - Nietzsche

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelbtchnlgs
Feel like a Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Could I have permanently fuckt my place for grows? [Re: BennyProfane]
    #8810368 - 08/22/08 10:27 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Your just not doing something right.  My apartment has a LOT of trich spores in it, most from my own projects.  Just find the smallest room and spray a can of lysol disinfectant the mold killing type everywhere, walls, cielling floor ect.... 

Let the air settle and do your inoculating in there.  Flame needle and alcohol rub needle before each jar.

Where are you getting your syringes from, if you are trading there is a good chance you are getting dirty syringes

You'll get it

:peace:

OfflineAsric
Fueled By Satan
 User Gallery

Re: Could I have permanently fuckt my place for grows? [Re: lbtchnlgs]
    #8810465 - 08/22/08 10:44 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah you need to double check your proceedures. Your jars shouldnt be contaminating, everything through that point should be sealed up somewhat. If you want to make life easier though you can wash all of your walls with 10% bleach solution, clean the carpet and everytime before you do your work, destroy the room with oust/nutra air also if you dont have one, build a glove box. Mine consists of a tote, 2 plummers rings a heavy duty pair of gloves and some nuts and bolts. I went from having contaminated everything to making my own sterile syringes from prints I took. Glove boxes are awesome, so is air sanitizer.

--------------------
Looking to trade for:
Wedges of: Golden Oyster, Pink Oyster, Shaggy Mane, Stropharia R.
Prints of: Z strain, Treasure Coast, Exotics, Morels
Have to trade:
Wedges: Pearl Oyster, Wellington Oyster, Grey Oyster, Lion's Mane
Prints: B+
Other stuff: Micro centrifuge tubes, Home made artisan bouillon in chicken and shellfish (lobster and shrimp), Homemade pecan smoked salt

OfflineBennyProfane
Male

Re: Could I have permanently fuckt my place for grows? [Re: lbtchnlgs]
    #8810466 - 08/22/08 10:44 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

lbtchnlgs said:
Your just not doing something right.  My apartment has a LOT of trich spores in it, most from my own projects.  Just find the smallest room and spray a can of lysol disinfectant the mold killing type everywhere, walls, cielling floor ect.... 

Let the air settle and do your inoculating in there.  Flame needle and alcohol rub needle before each jar.

Where are you getting your syringes from, if you are trading there is a good chance you are getting dirty syringes

You'll get it

:peace:

Syringes from lilshop. They are a reputable sponsor so I doubt I have 5 dirty syringes in a row.

--------------------
All of my posts are completely fictional.  I post info and pics stolen from other sources because I wan't to appear to be cool to others.

Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously! - Nietzsche

There was only one Christian, and he died on the cross for his own sins - Nietzsche

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

Loc: Elsewhere.
    #8810519 - 08/22/08 10:58 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I haven't had any success with grains (rye and corn). They colonize quicker on average, and provide "better" spawn coverage, but, I way prefer BRF. Are you PCing your grain jars? I don't know, I'm really not that clean when I do my jars, and I don't really get contams. On average I have 100% success rate. Most of the jars that have been contammed were grain jars. Chances are it's a matter of sterility bro. Also, a little trick I use, that I learned on here, is the oven tek. Some people say it's outdated, I say bollocks. It works. You can't argue that. Good luck.

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

Invisibleseven
Male

Loc: north carolina
Re: Could I have permanently fuckt my place for grows? [Re: misos]
    #8810544 - 08/22/08 11:03 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

still air glove box! its true when you get contams over time you have to tighten up your steril procedures. make sure the ac is off or any fans .after you get your glovebox clean and the items inside wiped down and clean, change gloves, sanitize them and inoculate with the fresh sanitized gloves.

--------------------
grind

Offlinealkylbenzene23
Indeed
 User Gallery

Re: Could I have permanently fuckt my place for grows? [Re: seven]
    #8810666 - 08/22/08 11:32 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

If you don't PC correctly you will fail. Have you tried doing control jars?

--------------------
If you try to lick your cat while tripping, and they bite you, are you even?

Invisibleseven
Male

Re: Could I have permanently fuckt my place for grows? [Re: alkylbenzene23]
    #8810704 - 08/22/08 11:40 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

alkylbenzene23 said:
If you don't PC correctly you will fail. Have you tried doing control jars?

control jars are a good idea.

--------------------
grind

InvisibleAlabama Slim
Chinese river witch

Re: Could I have permanently fuckt my place for grows? *DELETED* [Re: BennyProfane]
    #8810976 - 08/22/08 12:32 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by Alabama Slim

Reason for deletion: delete

OfflineNo_Life_G33k
Now with 10%less noobness
 User Gallery

Re: Could I have permanently fuckt my place for grows? [Re: Alabama Slim]
    #8811233 - 08/22/08 01:24 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Can you steam clean the carpets???

Hire a professional would be my advice.

--------------------
Hot Water Pasteuriztion - A How To Pictorial
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4527808/an/0/page/0

Make your own shroom chocolates
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4500682/an/0/page/5

guide with pix.

Make Your Own Magnetic Stirrer! How-To Tek w/ pix
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5865949/an/0/page/3

InvisibleCornfield
Open Minded

Re: Could I have permanently fuckt my place for grows? [Re: No_Life_G33k]
    #8811953 - 08/22/08 04:08 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I read somewhere on here that light kills mold. Keep your windows wide open for a few weeks as well as clean and disinfect etc right guys?

Offlinenumonkei
Back! From thedigestive tractof dave theiguana!

Loc: A Tree
Re: Could I have permanently fuckt my place for grows? [Re: Cornfield]
    #8811994 - 08/22/08 04:17 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Cornfield said:
I read somewhere on here that light kills mold. Keep your windows wide open for a few weeks as well as clean and disinfect etc right guys?

Light doesn't kill mold.

Not allowing mold to reproduce or be introduced... doesn't kill mold, but keeps it the fuck away from your project.

Search more ya'll, most of this stuff has been answered within the past few months.

~Monk

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

Loc: Elsewhere.
Re: Could I have permanently fuckt my place for grows? [Re: Cornfield]
    #8812005 - 08/22/08 04:20 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

...Uh, yeah. I'm not too sure if that is correct. Don't get me wrong, most often the air outside is cleaner than the air inside. You can open your windows for fresh air, but *I* don't think it is going to reduce mold spores at all. Depending on where you're located, it may even make your situation worse. As for "light" killing mold, I don't think that is correct either. UV rays and fresh air deter mold from growing. The best thing I think to do is to be clean, practice regular hygiene, and maybe invest in some Ionic generators or air purifiers. Maybe I am talking out of my ass, if so, please let me know, but I don't thnik so. Good luck either way!

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

Invisibleseven
Male

Re: Could I have permanently fuckt my place for grows? [Re: misos]
    #8812057 - 08/22/08 04:32 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

hepa filtration will reduce the air spore load.

--------------------
grind

Invisibleseven
Male

#8812153 - 08/22/08 04:48 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

also its very very common in cases like this ..the jars were contamed from the start. tighten up inoculation\spore syringe making procedures: RR posted pics of substrate fruiting right beside black mold in a fc. and he lives downwind from a tropical rainforest. jars can look fine and be contaminated.

--------------------
grind

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#8812241 - 08/22/08 05:06 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

If the seed soak isn't long enough, and the seeds inner core is still dry, contams could possibly survive proper PC times. I let my seeds soak for 36-48 hours. I start the soak off with a good dose of peroxide in the water, but there's usually sings of visible growth when the soak is through... just more food for the mushies.

If that doesn't sound good, go for the 24 hour soak and simmer. Simmering just bugs me though. A 1.5-2 day soak fully hydrates the seeds.

PC times, I always go for 1.5 hours @ 15 PSI.

Inoculation, consider using some silicone dabs for injection ports. As long as the silicone will withstand PC temps, it can be applied prior to PCing. I like doing this because it allows me to inoculate the jars as soon as they're cooled down, but the silicone could be applied after cooking... waiting 24 hours for it to dry is really not a big deal. I used to use RTV gasket sealant, but have read that most (?) silicones are PC friendly.

With all that considered, using sterile syringes, flame and alcohol, you should have a high success rate.

The only other vector I've had problems with, when I first did jars, I left the foil covering on them. Bad idea! This causes the tyvek or filter to remain moist and this is a huge contam risk.

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

OfflineBennyProfane
Male

Re: Could I have permanently fuckt my place for grows? [Re: Rahz]
    #8814319 - 08/23/08 03:46 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, this is a reply from everyone that replied to my original post.

All I'm doing is trying to do is knock up some grain jars using WBS.  WBS soaked for 24hrs, simmered for 10-20mins, drained for an hour+, and PCed at 15PSI for 75min. (PC for 90+ mins?).  Rinsed like crazy between steps.

I have been leaving the lids loose for PCing then tightening while still hot (should I tighten before PCing as RR suggests then leave them in the PC with a alcohol soaked rag around the vent til cool?).

Inoculation procedures (this might be my problem) I turn off the A/C, ceiling fan, and air purifier (one of those ionic air purifiers, 99% effective down to .5 microns it claims) after I take a shower and put on latex gloves, N95 mask, and hair protecter (plastic wal-mart bag).  Then I spray down my work area and still air box with lysol and oust and 10:1 bleach solution and go to work.

Should I be letting the lysol and oust settle and turn off all things that can cause air circulation an hour or so before inoculation to let mold spores settle?  I know my place is clean as fuck, I don't even keep ANY garbage in my place anymore.  I run garbage outside daily.  I had a girl over the other day and she said "wow, this place smells SO clean".

Oh yeah, lid design is a 1/4" hole stuffed with poly-fil.  Switching to a self-sealing silicone injection port and tyvek filtered breather hole for the next try.

--------------------

OfflineBennyProfane
Male

#8814328 - 08/23/08 03:56 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Oh yeah, I did do a control jar.  Prepared exactly the same as my other jars with the same lids but not PCed.  For my next try I will PC a control jar.  My control jar did not contaminate but it was not PCed.  But I would think a non-PCed control jar would be more likely to contam than a PC jar.

--------------------

InvisibleAlabama Slim
Chinese river witch

Re: Could I have permanently fuckt my place for grows? *DELETED* [Re: BennyProfane]
    #8814874 - 08/23/08 09:23 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by Alabama Slim

Reason for deletion: delete

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#8815637 - 08/23/08 12:58 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

For my lids, I drill a 3/8" hole (1/4" will work too) in the center, place the lid on the jar, place a square of Tyvek over the lid, and secure with the rim. Dab of sealant goes in the center of the Tyvek, directly over the lid hole. I use the 3/8" just to insure I get in the jar on my first jab.

Increase your cook time to 90 minutes, and use some injection ports. I bet that will take care of your problem. Cleaning house is optional.

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale