Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Blewmeanie's signature pic makes me so angry
    #8809502 - 08/22/08 03:55 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I want to yell at whoever made it but all I can do is yell at my computer screen.
There is so much wrong with it I don't know where to begin.  :crankey:

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewisp

Re: Blewmeanie's signature pic makes me so angry [Re: zouden]
    #8809591 - 08/22/08 05:07 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well, care to elaborate?

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Re: Blewmeanie's signature pic makes me so angry [Re: wisp]
    #8809669 - 08/22/08 06:21 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

oh I probably should have posted it, rofl

Fuck you Jack Chick!

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #8809696 - 08/22/08 06:34 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Why would an idea disturb you?  The world abounds with people who hold erroneous ideas.  Ideas don't disturb me half as much as actions.  Or are the actions of the people that hold those ideas what really disturb you?

There are two sides of a coin here.

Christians, Muslims and other religions that have committed despicable acts.

Atheists and agnostics have also done the same.

Therefore, the only conclusion we can draw from these facts is that religion isn't an insulator from heinous acts.

I do not believe anyone has absolute control over their behavior.  A debatable point, nevertheless, I believe it.  (this in not an invitation to sidetrack this thread with a debate on this issue)

:peace:

--------------------

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Blewmeanie's signature pic makes me so angry [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8810270 - 08/22/08 10:10 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Therefore, the only conclusion we can draw from these facts is that religion isn't an insulator from heinous acts.

I am not going to dig up a link as this has been covered many times, but large scale social studies show that agnostics/athiests have somewhat higher moral standards/behaviours than religious folk. Go figure...

--------------------

InvisibleLakefingers

Loc: mumuland
Re: Blewmeanie's signature pic makes me so angry [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #8810416 - 08/22/08 10:33 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

not so strange

Christians haven't created the idea of morality and ethics
atheists, agnostics, philosophers, scientists, sure Christians detached in someway or those who've high-jacked morals have

might as well say humans behave more civilized than raccoons

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Blewmeanie's signature pic makes me so angry [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #8810422 - 08/22/08 10:35 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

From what I see, most pro-lifers are also in favor of killing kids in Iraq (and sometimes abortion doctors too).

Freak out over killing a clump of cells, but real dead children are not a problem. Go figure.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#8810426 - 08/22/08 10:36 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I understand where you're coming from, but I'd actually have to agree with that comic.  If you take away an all-powerful being laying out morality on a metaphysical basis, you take away a fundamental foundation to a "true" morality.

Without God, you're left with either the ethical relativism inherent in fellow humans dictating what is moral and what isn't, or you're forced to rely upon biological mores coded into us by our genetic structure.  Either way, this is far less meaningful than any morals that transcend space/time by their innate sense of divine truth. (Of course, I'm not saying these latter morals exist--in fact, as a materialistic cynic erring on the side of nihilism, I'd say that no absolute morals exist whatsoever--just that the lack of an ethical God makes immorality far easier.)

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Blewmeanie's signature pic makes me so angry [Re: deCypher]
    #8810550 - 08/22/08 11:05 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

If you take away an all-powerful being laying out morality on a metaphysical basis, you take away a fundamental foundation to a "true" morality.

Hmm...so if humans weren't utilizing the threat of a (probably) imaginary supernatural being, we would not be able to apply amoral rules in order to facilitate security and community?  Does it seem to you that invented morals are doing a good job of changing human behaviors?

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Blewmeanie's signature pic makes me so angry [Re: Diploid]
    #8810554 - 08/22/08 11:05 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Are you using logic... AGAIN?! :nonono:

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
    #8810608 - 08/22/08 11:18 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The Cypher said:
I understand where you're coming from, but I'd actually have to agree with that comic.  If you take away an all-powerful being laying out morality on a metaphysical basis, you take away a fundamental foundation to a "true" morality.

Without God, you're left with either the ethical relativism inherent in fellow humans dictating what is moral and what isn't, or you're forced to rely upon biological mores coded into us by our genetic structure.  Either way, this is far less meaningful than any morals that transcend space/time by their innate sense of divine truth. (Of course, I'm not saying these latter morals exist--in fact, as a materialistic cynic erring on the side of nihilism, I'd say that no absolute morals exist whatsoever--just that the lack of an ethical God makes immorality far easier.)

Yea I agree. Despite the obvious dimwittedness of it, its clearly a real issue.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Blewmeanie's signature pic makes me so angry [Re: Veritas]
    #8810759 - 08/22/08 11:50 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Veritas said:
Quote:

If you take away an all-powerful being laying out morality on a metaphysical basis, you take away a fundamental foundation to a "true" morality.

Hmm...so if humans weren't utilizing the threat of a (probably) imaginary supernatural being, we would not be able to apply amoral rules in order to facilitate security and community?  Does it seem to you that invented morals are doing a good job of changing human behaviors?

Well, there's a difference between a system of absolute morality, where we follow rules simply because the rules are "good", and a system of laws that facilitates security and community.  If you want to stop senseless violence and death, laws are a good idea--but if you claim the nonexistence of a Deity and the nonexistence of a self-complete Good, you can't claim that the laws are truly moral as they were put in place by fellow humans like us.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #8810764 - 08/22/08 11:52 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

you can't claim that the laws are truly moral as they were put in place by fellow humans like us.

How is this different from the current arrangement?  Oh, right, some of us are pretending that these laws were put in place by a non-human.  :lol:

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#8810785 - 08/22/08 11:57 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Sure, if you take the attitude that God and the whole system of religious ethics is a fraud, then there is no difference.  All I'm saying is if you accept that premise, you have much more of a reason to behave morally than otherwise.  Exposing the system for what it is--an authoritarian system of control through tradition and appeal to an imaginary higher power--makes any other supposed foundation for morality rather shakier.  The person who believes in God has a much greater reason for acting morally than the person who does not believe in any kind of absolute metaphysical principles.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #8810794 - 08/22/08 11:58 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

What about empathy and a sense of justice as foundations for ethical decision-making?

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

#8810805 - 08/22/08 12:00 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I am for secularizing society as much as it benefits society as a whole but I do not jump on this bandwagon of secular idealism. Secularity will not magically fix the problems that are often correlated with morality. We might be a bit more clear-minded this way, but we would still be governed by fear of punishment.

A good idea in my opinion would be an explicit social contract between government and the people, as proposed by Jean-Jacques Rousseau. This would be a great improvement on an international scale, as it would dissolve the basis for crusades which our current claim to "sacred" human rights compels us to. But it would not change anything  intrinsically concerning the will to power.

Herein we are still faced with a choice between the uniform will to power, and a dualistic control/limitation of it - morality or ethics, it makes no difference because they are both substantiated in the same basic way - irrationally. There is no rational reason that the individual should heed society outside the basic idea that he is forced to. The people are controlled by the fear of punishment, whether it is God or the state. Concerning the theme of this comic, secularization would make no difference. Sure, the comic is idiotic, but I think I would probably disagree with most of you for the reasons why.

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Blewmeanie's signature pic makes me so angry [Re: daytripper23]
    #8810819 - 08/22/08 12:03 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Ethical development can progress beyond the childish fear of punishment.  It's rare, certainly, but IMO this has more to do with a lack of education/guidance than an actual limitation of the organism.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Blewmeanie's signature pic makes me so angry [Re: daytripper23]
    #8810842 - 08/22/08 12:08 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Veritas said:
What about empathy and a sense of justice as foundations for ethical decision-making?

Empathy might be viable, but still--what incentive is there for me to not commit evil?  Just because I can feel your pain doesn't logically imply that I should help you.

And how do you get your sense of justice?  Is this an absolute or a relative idea of fairness?  If the former, how do you know?  And if the latter, it's clear that since every individual must have a different concept of justice, then no stable solution for a world without evil can satisfy everyone equally.  This seems to make for a very inconsistent foundation for ethical decision-making, IMO.

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

#8810857 - 08/22/08 12:10 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Agreed

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #8810889 - 08/22/08 12:15 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

It seems to me that the classic "do unto others" would be a fair standard for what is just.  If combined with a developed sense of empathy, the result would be compassion.  Of course, it is highly unlikely that the entire human population will become compassionate, but this does not contradict the quality of the ideal.

As I am not religious, my ethics are based upon the idea of being a citizen of the world in which I would like to live. This works well for me, and seems to work well for those around me, too.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#8810918 - 08/22/08 12:21 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Ideals are good principles to live by.  My only point was that this seems a much weaker basis by which to found one's ethical system than on the certainty that a religious-minded individual finds in the absolute codes dictated by God.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #8810973 - 08/22/08 12:32 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Really?  It seems to me that an internally-based ethical structure would be much stronger than one based upon fear of punishment by an invisible supernatural being.  After all, believers still commit "sins" & break their God's laws...possibly with greater frequency than non-believers.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#8811014 - 08/22/08 12:42 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, but they commit immoral acts with a greater amount of guilt than non-beleafers.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#8811105 - 08/22/08 01:00 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Sure, if you're talking about those religious people who only obey their moral principles because their pastor or their mother told them to, or because of fear of punishment.  I'm talking about the believers who act morally because they believe that, according to God, acting in such a way is GOOD.  (Kohlberg's first stage in moral development vs. his sixth, except to the believer the "universal ethical principles" are replaced with God's laws.)

And I'm not arguing that it's harder to follow one's internally based ethical structure as opposed to something imposed from without--I'm merely stating that the certainty upon which one lives one's life morally is stronger if you believe that your moral rules have an absolute existence, as opposed to something you arbitrarily decided was right based on your internal convictions at the time.

And yeah, I read some statistic recently relating to believers being less likely to act as the Good Samaritan than nonbelievers.  Do you have any sources on that?

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8812821 - 08/22/08 07:53 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:rofl:

Fixed, just for you....:strokebeard:

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Re: Blewmeanie's signature pic makes me so angry [Re: blewmeanie]
    #8813341 - 08/22/08 09:55 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Much better!!

--------------------

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: Blewmeanie's signature pic makes me so angry [Re: Diploid]
    #8813642 - 08/22/08 11:11 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
From what I see, most pro-lifers are also in favor of killing kids in Iraq

Dood....!?    :what:
I don't thing that anyone is in favor of killing kids in Iraq....   
Pro-lifers or otherwise....

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Blewmeanie's signature pic makes me so angry [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #8814601 - 08/23/08 07:47 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

If they're being killed then someone is in favor of it. Rest assured on that.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Blewmeanie's signature pic makes me so angry [Re: Icelander]
    #8817399 - 08/23/08 07:02 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Without a draft I wonder who that would be?

No one signs up to be killed.  No one sends in the troops with the intention of killing them.  Yet, both the sender and the sendee know this is a possibility.

Iraq isn't Vietnam--not by a longshot.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom