Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSethwick
Stranger
Can't keep humidity up in Shotgun FC
    #8809172 - 08/22/08 12:58 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I made a shotgun FC with a comparable amount of holes to the one in RRs videos. I put around 7 ingest of moist perlite in the bottom (soaked perlite with a shower head, let it sit to drain for 15 minutes shaking it occasionally, then dumping in FC and allowing to drain overnight before putting in cakes). However, the hygrometer I just got (one for humidors) and calibrated says that the FC is at around 70% humidity ~4 hours after misting (it was over 90% after misting). So, Im at a loss for what i should do. Im thinking of taking the cakes out (theyre all ready fruiting big time though) and just running water into the perlite in my bathtub, but it would require hours to stop dripping and I know it isnt humid enough for the shrooms in the open air. . .

What can I do?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can't keep humidity up in Shotgun FC [Re: Sethwick]
    #8809180 - 08/22/08 01:00 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Cover up some of the holes with some tape till you get the desired humidity and it holds.

--------------------
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.  (Homer)

Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the fat guy. How I loathe him. (Drunk Homer)

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not. (Tyler Durden)

InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Loc: Temple
    #8809187 - 08/22/08 01:02 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Get an aquarium pump with an air stone and put the air stone deep in the perlite. The stronger the pump the faster the humidity will rise.Wait I mean the more air that bubbles outta the perlite the faster the RH will rise.

--------------------

You will be missed

InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can't keep humidity up in Shotgun FC [Re: TheShroomJew23]
    #8809204 - 08/22/08 01:07 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Wont that dry the perlite out quicker?  7 inches is more than enough to keep the humidity at damn near 100% without having to use a air pump.  Just cover the holes and itll take care of itself.

--------------------
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.  (Homer)

Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the fat guy. How I loathe him. (Drunk Homer)

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not. (Tyler Durden)

Offlinepontus
traveler
 User Gallery

Re: Can't keep humidity up in Shotgun FC [Re: Krez]
    #8809212 - 08/22/08 01:11 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Krez said:
Wont that dry the perlite out quicker?  7 inches is more than enough to keep the humidity at damn near 100% without having to use a air pump.  Just cover the holes and itll take care of itself.

:thumbup:

What is your ambient RH? Maybe your room is at around 30%?

--------------------
"People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan

InvisibleAlabama Slim
Chinese river witch

Re: Can't keep humidity up in Shotgun FC *DELETED* [Re: Sethwick]
    #8809227 - 08/22/08 01:15 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by Alabama Slim

Reason for deletion: delete

Offlinepontus
traveler
 User Gallery

Re: Can't keep humidity up in Shotgun FC [Re: Alabama Slim]
    #8809236 - 08/22/08 01:19 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I agree with you Alabama Slim, but as Krez said with 7 inches of perlite his/her RH level should be around 100% without misting. So either there are to much holes, or it is located in a desert climate.

--------------------
Bob Dylan

InvisibleAlabama Slim
Chinese river witch

Re: Can't keep humidity up in Shotgun FC *DELETED* [Re: pontus]
    #8809260 - 08/22/08 01:27 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by Alabama Slim

Reason for deletion: delete

InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can't keep humidity up in Shotgun FC [Re: Alabama Slim]
    #8809268 - 08/22/08 01:30 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It actually cooled down here at night alot.  50-60 at night.  7 inches is a whole bunch of perlite.  Hed have to have the A/C blasting.  Still its a possibility.

--------------------

Offlinepontus
traveler
 User Gallery

Re: Can't keep humidity up in Shotgun FC [Re: Krez]
    #8809278 - 08/22/08 01:37 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

People from all climate zones around the world post at the shroomery. Not everywhere in the world an air condition is standard.

--------------------
Bob Dylan

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Can't keep humidity up in Shotgun FC [Re: pontus]
    #8809633 - 08/22/08 05:48 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

What kind of meter are you using, digital analogue??

You probably have to calibrate it. Rap it in a damp towel and after an hour adjust to read 99% humidity.

Have you got holes on the bottom?? What size are they, if there bigger than what is described in the tek, you may have to cover some up.

Remember 1 hole of x size has much more surface area as 2 holes half the size

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinepontus
traveler
 User Gallery

#8809765 - 08/22/08 07:05 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Sethwick said:
I made a shotgun FC with a comparable amount of holes to the one in RRs videos. I put around 7 ingest of moist perlite in the bottom (soaked perlite with a shower head, let it sit to drain for 15 minutes shaking it occasionally, then dumping in FC and allowing to drain overnight before putting in cakes). However, the hygrometer I just got (one for humidors) and calibrated says that the FC is at around 70% humidity ~4 hours after misting (it was over 90% after misting). So, Im at a loss for what i should do. Im thinking of taking the cakes out (theyre all ready fruiting big time though) and just running water into the perlite in my bathtub, but it would require hours to stop dripping and I know it isnt humid enough for the shrooms in the open air. . .

What can I do?

Man veda, please do read his/her post. :mad2:  Granted it is not 100% clear whether it is analog or digital, but it is calibrated and therefore pretty damn sure analog.

--------------------
Bob Dylan

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Can't keep humidity up in Shotgun FC [Re: pontus]
    #8810105 - 08/22/08 09:28 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

If you made a shotgun terrarium by the tek, there's no way your humidity is 70%.  It will be in the mid 90's even if you're in the desert.

What procedure did you calibrate the hygrometer with, and what size drill bit did you use for the holes?
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineenno
brainer
Male User Gallery

Re: Can't keep humidity up in Shotgun FC [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8810322 - 08/22/08 10:19 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

hey,
in the wrap in towel you are saying to adjust the screw in the back
after half an hour in a damp towel but what if theres no screw or digital?
thanks

--------------------
if i can help,i will.  :smile:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Can't keep humidity up in Shotgun FC [Re: enno]
    #8810393 - 08/22/08 10:30 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

If there's no adjustment screw, purchase a higher quality analog hygrometer that has an adjustment screw.

Digital hygrometers are crap above 90%, which is where we operate.  Use mechanical hygrometers.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineenno
brainer
Male User Gallery

#8810428 - 08/22/08 10:37 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

thanks,i will.

--------------------

OfflineSethwick
Stranger
Re: Can't keep humidity up in Shotgun FC [Re: enno]
    #8811478 - 08/22/08 02:09 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I used 1/4 inch as you suggested RR, I tried to keep to the tek. When I run my hands through the perlite it feels dry, I'm thinking I didn't get it wet enough in the first place. I calibrated the hygrometer using a hygrometer calibration kit I got off Amazon. The hygrometer itself is an analog hygrometer meant for humidors which I also got off amazon.

I think I need to rewet my perlite as soon as this first flush is done. As for now, when I'm misting should I be spraying into the FC, spraying above it and letting the mist "fall" into the FC, or spraying the outside? Reading about misting I've seen all three inferred and never found any clear info on whether it is bad to mist fruit directly or not. Right now only one cake has more than one health fruit, most have wizened up into dry aborts, so I don't think it's just me. This are blue oysters BTW, not cubes, but I put this here because this is a general FC issue and not just a problem with the oysters. I plan on putting cubes in as soon as the cakes are ready.

I would post pictures, but I don't have a working digital camera at the moment.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8811713 - 08/22/08 02:58 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I calibrated the hygrometer using a hygrometer calibration kit I got off Amazon

That might be the problem.  If the hygrometer and 'calibration kit' were intended for cigar use, they set your hygrometer at around 70%.  Since hygrometers are only accurate in limited ranges, you need to calibrate at the 99% humidity that we operate at.  Use the wet towel method and adjust so it reads 99%.

Run your fingers through the perlite to 'rake' it and fluff it up.  If it's dry, mist well or actually pour water on the perlite to re-moisten it.

When you mist, simply mist up into the air and let the mist fall on the cakes and perlite.  Oysters are going to require a LOT of air exchange, even more than a shotgun can provide without supplemental fanning out.  Fan it out a few times per day using the lid as a fan, and always mist just before fanning.  You'll also want to use bright fluorescent light or natural sunlight from a bright window.  Oysters require more light and fresh air than cubes.

You can re-wet the perlite at any time.  Simply pour water over it and any excess will drain out the holes in the bottom of your FC.  Always rake with your fingers to fluff up the perlite after wetting.  Good luck.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlineddtc
dumbass noob
Male

Loc: FL
    #8811738 - 08/22/08 03:07 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i had the same problem with humdity so i said fuck it and bought the tropic aire with fresh air exchange now humdity is up in the high 90's to 100% did the shotgun tek to the t and still had problems but problem sloved now:thumbup:

Offlineenno
brainer
Male User Gallery

#8815844 - 08/23/08 02:02 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

ok,its really hard to find some things where i live(one of them is a decent hygrometer) so I'm asking this:
i live on the shoreline and at day time humidity is around 70-75 and at night its 90-95 this time of the year,now i follow your (RR) shotgun tek and have 6 inches of perlite in, do i really need a hygrometer or i can just rely on that until i find one?
i got a digital one that goes up to 91 and thats it whatever i do and i got one from a reptile store and whatever its shit and its going to the trash.
thanks again

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag