Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFuknRowdy
Mountain Dewshbag... EXTREME!!!
Male
Loc: Yer Mom's House
Agar Isolation to LC question
    #8808772 - 08/22/08 01:20 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Another question gentlemen! I have done my homework, and have not been able to find any answers. Maybe Im not looking right, or maybe im on to something new, but it seems exciting! When learning this art form of ours, a tek to inoculate a agar petri dish with some spore solution was included. In this tek, they described putting a few drops of spore solution on the media and then, after it had colonized, cutting out a small section of the ropy mycelium (apparently the "good stuff" versus the fluffy mycelium) and knocking up grain jars with that small chunk, resulting in better flushes with awesome fruits.

My question is this... Is it possible to innoc a LC with this cutting of the mycelium? If so, does it really have an impact on the mushies? Is there a tek describing the best way to accomplish this? Or is using a clone to LC tek a better/easier/more time effective method?

If this has already been answered and I missed it, please point me in the right direction! Thanks guys!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
Re: Agar Isolation to LC question [Re: FuknRowdy]
    #8808799 - 08/22/08 01:27 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

the rizo is the strongest myc it should give u faster colonization times someone feel free to correct me if i am wrong

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Invisibleseven
Male

Loc: north carolina
Re: Agar Isolation to LC question [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #8808808 - 08/22/08 01:30 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

to get an isolate you have to transfer until there is no more sectoring then you have isolated a substrain. you have to isolate about five or six, then fruit them all and keep the one that grew best and has the traits you desire. then you can keep this culture for future grows. yes you can take an isolate wedge from an agar plate and inoculate a liquid culture.  its best to inoculate any lc with a wedge of contam free mycelium. on agar you can see contams and transfer away from them. so you know your lc will not be contaminated. another option is the " grain lc" tek.

--------------------
grind

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
Re: Agar Isolation to LC question [Re: seven]
    #8808824 - 08/22/08 01:34 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

but wont it also speed up colonization times?

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Invisibleseven
Male

Re: Agar Isolation to LC question [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #8808973 - 08/22/08 02:06 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

sure! liquid culture speeds up colonization times because you dont have to wait for germination. and when transfering for an isolate, you are choosing the fastest rhizo growth. so isolates and lc's colonize faster.

--------------------
grind

OfflineFuknRowdy
Male
    #8809200 - 08/22/08 03:06 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks seven and noobie! I'm sure this is in a tek already, but since we are here, i'll ask. To isolate a substrain, i keep transfering on agar cultures, i.e. take a wedge, drop on clean petri dish, cut wedge from that one after it colonizes, so on and so on until no more sectoring? What kind of benefits has anyone seen from this technique? Worth the effort? I'm trying to bump up production at the moment, and will certainly play with the finer points of this hobby as i go along, but is this a good tek to incorporate early in my "career"? After my first grow, i could see how some cakes flushed amazing, others not so much, and i assume it must be genetics, am i on track here?

InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8809214 - 08/22/08 03:12 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Well itll be easier to clone because you already have the fruits and see what the traits were.  Isolation is pretty much what you said just transfer sectors until you have a monoculture.  Then you have to grow out each monoculture to see which ones are the ones you want.  Either way will work. Good luck!

--------------------
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.  (Homer)

Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the fat guy. How I loathe him. (Drunk Homer)

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not. (Tyler Durden)

OfflineFuknRowdy
Male
Re: Agar Isolation to LC question [Re: Krez]
    #8809237 - 08/22/08 03:19 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Found a pretty specific thread on the petri dish or fruit and clone debate after i posted my last response. Fruit and clone sounds more fun to me, cuz I can still enjoy the fruits of my labor on my quest for the holy spore lol.

InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8809244 - 08/22/08 03:21 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

FuknRowdy said:
Found a pretty specific thread on the petri dish or fruit and clone debate after i posted my last response. Fruit and clone sounds more fun to me, cuz I can still enjoy the fruits of my labor on my quest for the holy spore lol.

Clone ftw:thumbup:

--------------------
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.  (Homer)

Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the fat guy. How I loathe him. (Drunk Homer)

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not. (Tyler Durden)

Offlinerev 766
gum flappin' scallywag
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: $tate of Inebriation, Pat...
    #8809309 - 08/22/08 03:54 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

cloning is a quick fix, but if you want serious results, i would suggest cloning, and then growing your clone cultures to provide fruits while you take the time to isolate a few strains to test.

basically, cloning is a short term solution, but you should still try to isolate.

when you clone a mushroom that came from a MS inoculation the mycelium you are cloning DOES have a fruiting trait, but it may have some less than great traits. if you go from multispore there are several different "strains" of mycelium growing. by the time you have a fruit to clone, several of these strains have exchanged genetic info, so you have some good traits and some bad.

the point of isolating until there is no sectoring and then testing a few isolates is to find, idealy, the strain that fruits the most, is the most contam resistant, and is the most potent (if you're growing actives). isolating instead of cloning ensures that you are definitely getting the best genetics.

just to be honest, i learned this from reading at some point in time, but know it to be true, so to whoever wrote it down first, cheers! please take credit, i am drunk.

although it may be in a textbook somewhere.

--------------------
praise "Bob"
did you mean shmooed-R.I.P.

"drought besets the mind, decay besets the man"-me

OfflineFuknRowdy
Male
Re: Agar Isolation to LC question [Re: rev 766]
    #8809342 - 08/22/08 04:17 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I've heard of that too Rev, and a great point. Fuck it, this is my HOBBY, so why not go crazy with the extra steps once i get some more consistent production going, lol.

InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8809359 - 08/22/08 04:27 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Gonna go through a hell of alot of agar but fuck it have fun.  Thats what hobbies are supposed to be!  I still need to build my damn flowhood!

--------------------

Offlinerev 766
gum flappin' scallywag
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8809392 - 08/22/08 04:51 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

yeah, man. i mean, cloning works great, but isolation is just a better means for the long run. you can do the isolations then keep the culture you wind up liking best pretty much indefinately with test tubes and such.

my friends next step, as soon as he can afford it, is to get materials to perform chromatography tests. this will eliminate psychological factors that may cause him to decide a strain is weaker or stronger than it really is. it would be a sweet thing to be able to merely test the strains that fruited the most and choose to keep the one with the highest concentration of active chemicals (from many samples, of course).

of course, he has other tests in mind, like finding out if there is really any difference at all between "strains" that are from a multispore syringe (like buying a so called "b+" syringe vs. a "gt" one), if there is a potency difference between substrates, if there is a potency difference between flushes, and other questions that always have a million different answers on this forum.

my friend would like to get these testing supplies as soon as he can, but it may take a while. if anyone else has them, and has the time to perform the tests i mentioned or others, you should. type your reports up and post them. i would suggest PM'ing a mod about putting them as a sticky or something, as this is all data i have not discovered yet, and can only assume does not exist.

i'm going to leave this here, but make a new post about this to see if it has been done outside of the search engine's eye.

--------------------
praise "Bob"

InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8809409 - 08/22/08 05:03 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Hmm.  Im gonna keep my eye on it.  Im still just a noob and need to get some more grows and read some more.  I started in 04 05 and just messed around with cakes.  Got decent results.  Just seems to have a whole bunch more of info nowadays.  Sounds like a nice experiment but why not just eat em and clone for potency, then take it even further with more iso's.  I dunno either way im gonna keep an eye on it!

--------------------

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
    #8809425 - 08/22/08 05:15 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

rev is right.  if you guys want a pinset that will cover your entire casing you need to do some strain isolations.

read this.  it gives information on what the difference is between cloning and strain isolation
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5831095/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

Offlinerev 766
gum flappin' scallywag
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8809431 - 08/22/08 05:18 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

well, my problem with that is that if you take shrooms from an isolate in a good mood, you may declare them better than the same isolate when you are in a slightly lower mood. psychedelics are so dependent on the user's mind that you may overlook the best strain because of other factors.

on the other hand, if you have tests to see how much of the desired chemicals are in a handful of shrooms from each strain, you are measuring a real amount, not a fleeting moment.

--------------------
praise "Bob"

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
    #8809439 - 08/22/08 05:22 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

i would just be going for the full canopy with isolation.  honestley, ive been doing ms innoculations for the past 1 1/2 years (well just for a couple jars and then G2G after that) and ive never noticed any potency loss with any of my mushrooms. flush after flush, and my friends have never complained either.  ive just never had an issue with it.  but i certainly agree with you about your mindset on being able to determine potency.  very valid point my friend.

Invisibleseven
Male

Re: Agar Isolation to LC question [Re: blood4blood]
    #8809702 - 08/22/08 08:37 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

the simple differance between cloning and isolation: in isolation you are dealing with one "substrain" and the only variation is growing conditions. if you clone a fruit to agar it will sector out to more than one substrain.In growing clones the extra substrains throw in more variables. A unwanted trait of one of the extra substrains could show itsself. isolates perform more consistantly. about testing potensy: there are more variables! your diet affects a trip. MAOI inhibitors ! you build a tolarance quickly! so testing yourself to frequently might make you think the later batches are weak. thus i say if you get a decent effect compaired to the dry weight you consumed. Keep it! test for weakness! but truly being able to scientificly test the alkaloid content would be primo! bypass variables.

--------------------
grind

Invisibleseven
Male

#8809706 - 08/22/08 08:42 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

decent effects + fast growth + full pinset= good isolate

--------------------
grind

OfflineFuknRowdy
Male
    #8811005 - 08/22/08 02:40 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I love the attitude and knowledge on this board. Feels like I'm bck in school lol

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation