Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Dismayed with the world and ashamed to be human
    #8808594 - 08/22/08 12:29 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I'm ashamed to be a human being.  I hate my affiliation with the human race at this moment in time.  People are sick greedy bastards.  So much shit is going wrong in the world.  I feel like it's all going downhill, really fast.  Are we evolving AT ALL?  We're still going to war and killing each other.  And what's up with all the child killings lately?  It's so sad. 

Why can't people just stop trashing the planet and killing each other and stuffing themselves till they can't walk because they're so huge?  Everywhere I look there are sick people. 

I mean seriously...what's going on here?  I'm getting really freaked out to be existing on this planet.  The word "Earth" is such a pretty name.  It's such a beautiful place.  Why are we such a horrible species? 

I don't mean to be so pessimistic; I've had a really uplifting week but now I'm feeling so down-trodden.  And I know I'm part of the problem too, most likely, just because I'm a human.  Makes me sick. 

can anyone relate?  How do I cope with this deep sense of revulsion I am experiencing for my fellow man? 

I feel really upset to be what I am right now.  I'm upset to be alive on Earth.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Dismayed with the world and ashamed to be human [Re: MOTH]
    #8808616 - 08/22/08 12:35 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Oh and put this here instead of Physical/Mental Wellbeing because I need to hear some spiritual insight on what I might be going through.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #8808661 - 08/22/08 12:48 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

We are all beasts and its certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

I cannot relate to your feelings very well, because it seems silly to assume personal responsibility for the actions of others.  If you are not the one being greedy, if you are not the one killing people and if you are not the one trashing the planet and stuffing yourself 'til you can't walk because you're so huge... well then I suggest that you may actually be enjoying a degree of personal suffering in your life.  Why else would you trouble yourself to such an extent over something that you have absolutely no control over?  Worry about your part, controlling yourself and leave the rest up to chaos!

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Dismayed with the world and ashamed to be human [Re: geokills]
    #8808728 - 08/22/08 01:06 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

geokills said:
We are all beasts and its certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

I cannot relate to your feelings very well, because it seems silly to assume personal responsibility for the actions of others.  If you are not the one being greedy, if you are not the one killing people and if you are not the one trashing the planet and stuffing yourself 'til you can't walk because you're so huge... well then I suggest that you may actually be enjoying a degree of personal suffering in your life.  Why else would you trouble yourself to such an extent over something that you have absolutely no control over?  Worry about your part, controlling yourself and leave the rest up to chaos!

You're right, of course.  I don't know why I take on the weight of the world.  I really don't.  I guess I just feel a great sorrow for others sometimes and I don't know why this happens to me.  I get all hot and bothered about things that happen to others.  I don't know why I take that energy into myself like that.  I really am enjoying life to the fullest right now...I have it pretty damn good I think, at least compared to most of the world's population.  for some reason I just feel so sad about the species at large.  :frown: 

I keep trying to not do that.  I know I can't take responsibility for anyone but myself.  It's just so hard not to care sometimes.  I do care about humanity.  I guess that's why I'm so dismayed.  I'm not sure if it's just because of my level of awareness is low and I'm looking through smudgy lenses, or what.  I just feel sad for the world.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8808751 - 08/22/08 01:13 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Maybe there is something wrong with me or lacking in my life that I'm just missing.  Usually when you see the world negatively it's because of unresolved feelings within yourself, right? 

argh.

InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
    #8808831 - 08/22/08 01:35 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Everything you experience is identical to the experience of everyone else in this world. The only differences are in quantities of those few human sensations that make up the record of our personalities. And so you must understand that people do the things they do for a reason, no matter how awful.

I feel the most effective technique is to try to empathize with the people who seem most awful to you. This can be frightening at times, but they do the awful things they do for certain reasons. Once those reasons are understood, they can be consciously resisted. This is far more powerful than we have been conditioned to believe.

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

Offlinei3oosted
Stranger

Re: Dismayed with the world and ashamed to be human [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #8808856 - 08/22/08 01:42 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I'm loving being a human right now. Laptop, A/C, Plasma TV, leather couch, internet.

Cheer up!

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Dismayed with the world and ashamed to be human [Re: i3oosted]
    #8808884 - 08/22/08 01:48 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

i3oosted said:
I'm loving being a human right now. Laptop, A/C, Plasma TV, leather couch, internet.

Cheer up!

That's what I'm saying dude; by all PHYSICAL appearances, I have it really good.  I have a roof over my head; access to amazing foods from all over the globe practically at my fingertips, amazing friends and a fun job I enjoy. 

It's just that I look outside of my own life, and I DO see...madness and chaos taking hold everywhere I look. 

Yet is it actually inside of me and I'm just projecting it onto the world so that it seems like THEM and not ME?

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8808936 - 08/22/08 01:59 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Tchan909 said:
Everything you experience is identical to the experience of everyone else in this world. The only differences are in quantities of those few human sensations that make up the record of our personalities. And so you must understand that people do the things they do for a reason, no matter how awful.

I feel the most effective technique is to try to empathize with the people who seem most awful to you. This can be frightening at times, but they do the awful things they do for certain reasons. Once those reasons are understood, they can be consciously resisted. This is far more powerful than we have been conditioned to believe.

Thanks.  Empathizing with serial killers and child-rapists and George Bush for example is hard for me to do.  I know that everyone is acting in accordance with their "path" and all.  People are scary sometimes and I try to distance myself mentally from those people rather then consider them in an empathy type of way.  Guess I can shift gears and give a try.  I just don't understand why people do the things they do and I wouldn't know where to start with the empathy or understanding. 

The reason why I feel ashamed is that: I feel that everything in the universe is connected; I believe in collective consciousness and all that.  So in a way, when I say I am disgusted with humanity, I am really just disgusted with myself, because we're all the same species, all one type of being. 

It makes me ashamed to be collectively linked with the horrors that exist out there in our species.  Does that make sense?  I'm trying to work through this here because I wanna get back to feeling in love with the world again.

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
    #8808983 - 08/22/08 02:08 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

We are a product of the universe in which we live.  We can be nothing but perfect, there are no mistakes.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Dismayed with the world and ashamed to be human [Re: xFrockx]
    #8809004 - 08/22/08 02:12 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

xFrockx said:
We are a product of the universe in which we live.  We can be nothing but perfect, there are no mistakes.

I believe that.  /sigh/  In fact that's the second time I've heard that tonight, from you and from my roommate. 

Well, I'm coming down from my angst now.  The world seems less hostile and sickly.

Thanks for talking it out with me, people.

InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
    #8809147 - 08/22/08 02:49 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I do sympathize with you. I know what this feeling is like. It's hard to see our own darkest feelings blown up into perverse monstrosities by other human beings.

Recognition is painful, but if we are to get anywhere, it is necessary. We have to know where all this madness comes from, or we will continue to fight it, and in doing so give it strength.

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

Edited by Tchan909 (08/22/08 02:51 AM)

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
    #8809684 - 08/22/08 08:28 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

"A person is their own phenomena." I believe this is a typical Tibetan Buddhist saying. And it means quite alot. Here in this world we see amazing disparity between beings.  Also between humans. The long and short of it is that we humans especially have a lot of choice and we become what we are basically, or rather what we choose to promote or project.

While one poster said that we humans all experience the same thing, I must differ. That while we experience the similar thing of living on Earth, that very earth can be like heaven to some or hell to others, and why?  We simply cannot know for sure. But what we can know is that wherever ones feet are planted, that road extends out from under them. Which is to say that if you pursue music you'll find it, or pursue meditation you'll find it, or pursue power, you'll find it, or whatever, you'll find it.

If you pursue peace and charity, you'll find it, and if you pursue injustice, you'll find it.

It's an amazing world where you'll find anything you can imagine. 
Including drifting in some doped up lotus land of the ancients, an erotic paradise where there is stil the light of sentience pervading all through.

One can sometimes simply drift and watch the display as if it's a dream or a parade. This world is a huge movie wherein you are the lead actor. So play your part how you have been able to feel it. 

If that doesn't work then there's Stanislavsky method.

--------------------
...or something

InvisibleChronic7
 User Gallery

#8809777 - 08/22/08 09:10 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I hear you man yesterday i heard a story about a young english girl who ran off to brazil with some idiot and she threatened to leave him so when he was high on some shit he stabbed her in the back, hacked up her body, & then scattered it around town.

In the police interview he was asked did he feel anything when hacking up her body, he said he felt nothing & it was like cutting up beef.

Its times like these that really make me wonder about certain people, he even took a photo of her dead in the bath & showed it off to his friends right after doing it. All this to a  14 year old girl he got to leave home & supposedly loved.

Living the life of the mind is insanity, utter insanity.
Love & want are 2 different things, true love is sanity, desire is insanity.

:nonono:

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Dismayed with the world and ashamed to be human [Re: Chronic7]
    #8809789 - 08/22/08 09:15 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah dude, that's the kinda stuff I'm talking about - just heartbreaking.  And like that homicidal pedo who raped a brother and sister, strangled the little boy and then shot him in the head in front of his little sis.  It's just so mind-boggling to me how people could be so cruel. 

Okay: this is my big question:

Did stuff like this ALWAYS happen, or is it just getting more visible to us because of the media? 

I just feel sick thinking that I am the same species as those monsters. And Monster is putting it mildly.

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: Dismayed with the world and ashamed to be human [Re: eve69]
    #8809790 - 08/22/08 09:15 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

On the subject of wisdom.  If one is what they make, then the primal mover for a being is its intention. If you wish to free yourself from bondage then work with your own intention, not paying atention to the motives of others. Merely work simply from your own motives and you'll see your phenomenon change. This is the simple key of wisdom for all to unlock the door of their best wishes.

--------------------
...or something

OfflineDiaboleros
Devil's spawn

#8809815 - 08/22/08 09:28 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Lol! I understand how you feel, I used to think the exact same thing. But you must know, human beings used to be animals, and we still are for a big part. We are still in the process of evolution, if you believe in evolution, you must also realize it takes time before we have fully evolved into true human beings. Evolution is a process, it takes time, but we'll definitely get there some day.

One day we were monkeys, look at us now. It's not perfect yet, but we all have the ability to wake up nonetheless. It's like instead of physical evolution, mental evolution is going on. The only thing you can do is set a good example. Change yourself to change the world. Change your own mind to speed up evolution.

Anyway, the average attitude of greed and hate will result in global crisis, and crisis is the catalyst of evolution. No matter what happens, evolution is inevitable. Psychedlics greatly speed up mental evolution IMO. So forcing them onto people might not be a bad idea.... how about bombing the whole world with LSD? What would happen?

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Dismayed with the world and ashamed to be human [Re: Diaboleros]
    #8809826 - 08/22/08 09:33 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Diaboleros said:

Anyway, the average attitude of greed and hate will result in global crisis, and crisis is the catalyst of evolution.

Funny how I felt hope reading that, ha. 

I guess I should be thankful for all the shit hitting the fan then, aye?

OfflineDiaboleros
Devil's spawn

#8809862 - 08/22/08 09:43 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I wouldn't be thankful, more like just see it as something along the way, it's more because we have not fully evolved yet. Before humans, there was only suffering. We are in the process of creating earth into heaven, before us, there was only hell.

Before, there was only shit.. I don't think animals are happy at all. Animals live in hell, their only purpose is trying to survive. They live very shitty lives IMO... look at cows, they sleep in their own shit to stay warm at night. Look at cats, they rape each other in order to make kids... I don't think they enjoy sex at all, they just do it because it's necessary for their survival.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Dismayed with the world and ashamed to be human [Re: Diaboleros]
    #8809879 - 08/22/08 09:50 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

True, but I look at my dog and he seems happier then most people I know.  Maybe I just want to believe that, but he eats all the raw meat he wants and gets played with and scratched and loved on all the time.  He seems to enjoy life and he lives completely in the moment.   

I don't think I can even call those types of humans who engage in atrocities animals.  It seems too high of a term.  Can you list another type of animal who behaves similar to humans, cruelly tortures and kills their offspring, and each other?  It might help me in accepting the fact that maybe we really are just a bunch of beasts in suits. 

I think I know of a few. 

I did have a pet mouse once, and after she was pregnant and had birth, she would eat her young while they were still alive.  I wonder why? 

I know that sometimes male lion's kill male cubs, because of possible territory issues when the cub will get older.

It makes me think I should research "cruelty" and what it is exactly.  It is just a human judgment applied to a very natural act?

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology