Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCosmicString
Stranger
 User Gallery

Rye
    #8806567 - 08/21/08 04:29 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Having an issue with rye.

Got a 25 pound sack that I have been using up, the problem is I keep getting "wet spot" growth.

Ive soaked it for 24 hours, and have gone from 60 to 90 to 120 minutes at 15 psi in an AA PC and still see the wet kernels and slimy growth.

Question is could it just be a bad batch of rye that I am working from?

Ive found a new source but havent picked any up yet to give a try.

Thanks for any input.

CS

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMr.Al
Alphabet soup
Male

Loc: N.S.A. D.C.
Re: Rye [Re: CosmicString]
    #8806586 - 08/21/08 04:34 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Do you toss the grain in a strainer after you soak???

I myself follow RogerRabbits's coffee rye tek.

It's on this site somewhere...

You also bring the rye berries to a boil, hold for ten minutes, and then WHILE BOILING pour into some strainers.

In a pinch, I have dried them quickly with a
SALAD SPINNER!

I think your rye grain is too wet when you put them in a jar but I am just a lightweight here.

Perhaps someone more impressive could chime in???

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
    #8806613 - 08/21/08 04:40 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

usually those steps you've taken are supposed to kill any possible endospores hiding in the rye.

My suggestion is maybe consider if it's a syringe or inoculation problem. Have you done any cakes or are the spawn jars that contamed all you've done? What are your inoculation procedures?

You could get more rye and try it out but don't throw this stuff out until you know if it's the problem since chances are low that it is the rye.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

OfflineCitratox
brb, Im in the f'in zone
Male

Re: Rye [Re: ScavengerType]
    #8806650 - 08/21/08 04:47 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

the slimey shit is prolly from not rinsing it enough. rince it really well before and after soak, then boil and pour onto a screen while  its super hot. I dont like regular cohlanders they never work right. Also add gypsum too your soak and your boil.

--------------------
I wanna talk to SAMPSON!

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: Rye [Re: Citratox]
    #8806712 - 08/21/08 04:59 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

true I neglected to factor in those things. IMO those colanders RR had in his vid are the best, I got some at a dollar store and they rock the shit outa the normal style

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

OfflineSix
Stranger than fiction
Male

Re: Rye [Re: ScavengerType]
    #8806751 - 08/21/08 05:11 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

My wet spots came from a wet filter..
what do you use as a filter?

OfflineCosmicString
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Rye [Re: Six]
    #8808431 - 08/21/08 09:53 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I follow the procedure of RR from his video, toss the steaming rye and after the PC it comes out nice and loose, no shaking needed. Then after a couple of days individual grains will look darker then the others and start to gather a slimy coating. They are anywhere in the jar, top middle bottom wherever. I had them in a batch that also had some nice growth but you could smell the sweetness through the filters (3/8 poly filled tubing) so I PCed them again before I opened them to dump it out and those grains that had the wet spot stood out from the others. I have had some jars of this rye come through okay but not too many, had 11 out of 12 BRF cakes fruit out, 6 out of 6 bags of H/poo and straw worked okay, trying some WBS and coir bags now just messing around.

Still a noob just trying different things to see what happens, guess that's why we call this a hobby.

Well I'll pick up some new rye tomorrow and run another 6 jars and see what happens, thanks for the input, I'll update in a week or so.

CS

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#8808459 - 08/21/08 09:58 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

are you sure your tossing your rye long enough to get all the steam out not just around the sides but in the center as well. BTW IMO WBS is harder to toss so it will probibly be more difficult in that respect.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates