Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, CBD Compare   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator, Herb Grinder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineclemens
Lover
 User Gallery

Storing mushrooms problem
    #8807939 - 08/21/08 08:35 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

might be the wrong forum and if so please move it.

I get my shrooms fresh from the pasture. Only cubes. A lot of my newbie mushroom friends say freezing them fresh is the way to go. They always make a tea out of it and they swear that it works just as well as when they are fresh. I tried drying them in front of a fan for two days and I think that was a bad move. They seem to have completely lost all potency. I theorize that wild mushrooms are much less potent to begin with (i eat a few homegrown and it is equal to eating about 20 wild ones) and drying them puts a nice dent in the potency.
    I want to save these wild cubes that are so plentiful at the moment for later in the year when I have none. I don't think drying is an option but from the looks of it most of the people on this site say freezing wont work for long term storage. So what can I do? I don't want to waste another batch of fresh cubes trying to dry them and ending up with nothing. I also don't want to throw them in the freezer only to find a month later they are inactive. Why spend 25 a 1/8 when I can get 5-6 doses from an hour of walking around my friends pasture. Could I possible make the tea now and freeze it? I know these questions have been asked before but drying really doesn't seem to work. (at least not the way im doing it) Please please please help me. I could save a lot of money if I could store these guys. Respek

--------------------

Take it easy dude, but take it!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesomebody041
bud tester
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: Storing mushrooms problem [Re: clemens]
    #8808019 - 08/21/08 08:52 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

You can make shroom chocolates or shroom honey to preserve the actives... but drying for 2 days shouldn't affect the potency that much so you probably just got some weak ones.

Invisiblepolantis
Prototype v7.3 Alpha
Male User Gallery

Loc: Austraalis Flag
    #8808033 - 08/21/08 08:54 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Drying properly has worked well for me. After picking, a good 12 hours in front of a WARM fan gets them cracker dry, and all my trips have been potent enough. Also chop them as fine as I can, or if you have a coffee grinder thats even better. I like this way cos it extracts really well into a tea.
As for freezing the tea, I can't see how this would not work although I haven't heard of it being done.

With drying properly and leaving them in a zip-lock bag or Airtight jar and leaving them in a dry, cool, dark place they shouldn't loose potency for up to 4 years.

--------------------
We do not know what we want and yet we are responsible for what we are - that is the fact.
Jean-Paul Sartre

Offlineclemens
Lover
 User Gallery

Re: Storing mushrooms problem [Re: polantis]
    #8808201 - 08/21/08 09:21 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

i love you

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #8808357 - 08/21/08 09:42 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Honey:thumbup:

--------------------

Offlineclemens
Lover
 User Gallery

Re: Storing mushrooms problem [Re: blewmeanie]
    #8813307 - 08/22/08 09:47 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

How about freezing mushrooms or putting them in the refrigerator? Would that even decrease potency at all?

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie
 User Gallery

#8813323 - 08/22/08 09:51 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Every time Ive seen fresh mushrooms frozen, they've been blue all over, so in that case yes their would be a loss of potency. Ive never tried it myself though.

I have stored them in the refrigerator in a paper bag for a few days with no apparent change.

--------------------

Offlineclemens
Lover
 User Gallery

Re: Storing mushrooms problem [Re: blewmeanie]
    #8813369 - 08/22/08 10:03 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

fuck it I guess I just suck at storing mushrooms. Really is a shame. Every time I go out and pick some I always have at least a dozen or so left over that I can't get rid of and just end up throwing away.

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie
 User Gallery

#8813378 - 08/22/08 10:04 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

So dehydrate, or store them in honey.......or give them all to me.:grin:

--------------------

Invisiblepolantis
Prototype v7.3 Alpha
Male User Gallery

Loc: Austraalis Flag
    #8813422 - 08/22/08 10:14 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Seriously it's not hard. After picking just grab a fan. I've got a portable heater/cooler fan. Just sit your finds on some newspapers, put it in front of the fan.
Usually dry after 12hours, although they have dried in 8 hours once. You'll know if their dry enough cos when you pick em up they sort of crumble. Then I chop them as fine as I can, and they've been sitting in a ziplock bag in my desk drawer.

I even forgot about some once, been sitting on the news paper for weeks. Were dry with no mold.

No need to throw em away :frown:

--------------------
We do not know what we want and yet we are responsible for what we are - that is the fact.
Jean-Paul Sartre

Offlinethe_0wl
The Space Bird
Male

Re: Storing mushrooms problem [Re: polantis]
    #8813665 - 08/22/08 11:17 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I dry mine with a food dehydrator and then store in a sealed tupperware container.  From what I've read moderate heat and time passed shouldnt ruin potency.  Everything I take as fact here pretty much comes from Roger Rabbit ...But then Roger Rabbit grows absolutely ass whupping shrooms with his strain isolation and all those advanced teks.  So sure for him he could BBQ his shrooms and store them for 4 years and they'd still probably melt your ego.  I dunno.. .I wonder if he knows that we always multi-spore inoculate on PF cakes..most of us..8 hours in a dehydrator thats really hot might totally waste our less than optimal shrooms..who knows..im freakin wrecked right now on a cocktail of substances lol  :mushroom2::crazy2::rofl:

--------------------
Everything I say on this website and forum is completely false and fantasy role play.  In reality I do not engage in any illegal activities regardless of what my posts say.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, CBD Compare   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator, Herb Grinder

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience