Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Microscope, Petri Dish, Potato Dextrose, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleCornfield
Open Minded

Bad Syringe?
    #8807795 - 08/21/08 10:08 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Ok guys im not trying to bash a sponsor or hurt any feelings, i wont even mention which company.

I went ahead and ordered a bulk pack of ecuador syringes and they dont look anything like the syringes i recieved from a vendor in the past. i got 5 and 1 of them is totally clear, looks like just water. The other 4 have a greyish blob in them floating around. It may be a clump of thousands of spores but they dont break apart easily when u shake it up. The syringes are in the original packaging, never even removed them from the plastic ziplock bag they come in so no way i contaminated them. Also they were fresh out of the mail and straight to my fridge.

could they possibly be contaminated?  Im out of town right now working and will be gone for a few weeks before i can get home to take pictures. Syringes are in the box they came in, in my fridge till i can use them.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinejohnny.fairplay
StrangerThanFishin
 User Gallery

Re: Bad Syringe? [Re: Cornfield]
    #8807813 - 08/21/08 10:12 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

If they're from a sponsor they most likely aren't contaminated...  If they are email them just don't mention any growing and I'm sure they will reimburse you.

Spores are so tiny that a syringe that you cannot see any spores can still hold plenty of spores.  It takes a whole lot of spores to form a visible clump.

--------------------
My trade thread

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #8807839 - 08/21/08 10:16 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Spores are microscoping. You only see them when many many many thousands clump together.

Your syringes will be fine and i wouldnt worry about the ones with little clumps, there is still more than enough suspended in the water.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #8807856 - 08/21/08 10:17 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I also ordered from ralphsters..  I ordered 5 syringes and the SOTM..  2 of my syringes had huge clumps of spores I shook them up very well and the other 4 syringes looked clear.. I used them and they worked just fine..  The colonized just as fast as the syringes with the huge clumps of spores..  So you should have nothing to worry about..

InvisibleCornfield
Open Minded

#8807957 - 08/21/08 10:39 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

the vendor was not ralphsters guys.

I shook the holy living hell out of one of the syringes and just didnt seem to break up very easily. It looks like a grey cobweb or something, really wish i would have taken pictures.

I found a few threads here in which one person said they had 100% contam rate using this company, but 99% of what ive read about them is excellent.

Im probably worrying myself too much. Im planning on nockin up some bags of WBS in the near future and casing in mobotubs, just dont want to waste all the time and money if these are bunk

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #8807985 - 08/21/08 10:44 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Trust me I understand your worry them not being good, but to be honest the only way to tell for sure is to inoculate some jars and see what happens..  This hobby can be very expensive..  I was once in the same boat as you I ordered some syringes from 101spores spent like almost 100 bucks..  I knocked up some WBS jars and after 5 weeks nothing was happening..  So basically I wasted my money so I trashed the jars and started using ralphsters..  The only reason I used 101spores was that I didn't know about ralphsters yet cause I wasn't a member of the forum yet..  But hey the only way to learn how to do it right is to fuck up a few times..

InvisibleCornfield
Open Minded

#8808040 - 08/21/08 10:56 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Well im keeping high hopes. I actually just bought a badass microscope, any way i can use that to determine if they are bad? I also bought 100 grams of potato dextrose agar and some petri dishes. Maybe i will test them out in a bunch of petri dishes and see if i get contams before i got wasting all the bags (still havnt bought yet). I plan to start some multispore bags and while im waiting for those to colonize i want to isolate a single genome and make liquid culture and knock up lots more bags.

Offlinegixxer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#8809651 - 08/22/08 08:05 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Mine was from Lilshopofspores...  it came with a little bit of myc growing already.  Very clumpy.  I inoculated my LC twice and both failed within a day.  The water turned cloudy.  But the other species are on their way to about 50%...  I think I got a dud!

OfflineCharg6825152
Stranger
Re: Bad Syringe? [Re: gixxer]
    #8809701 - 08/22/08 08:37 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I've always gone through Lilshop.  So far so good.  I have gotten both kinds (clear and with a tiny lump of spores) and they both ended up colonizing.  A tip for a spore syringes with a tiny clump of spores .  If they are being difficult to break up, take in about 1-2 cc's of air into the syringe and this gives you a bubble to shake back & forth to break up the spores.  The only way to find out for sure though, is to just give them a try and see what happens.

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bad Syringe? [Re: Charg6825152]
    #8810294 - 08/22/08 12:15 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Make sure if you do take in 1-2 cc's of air it is sterile air cause that would be the worst thing to do is contaminate your new spore syringes..

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

Loc: Elsewhere.
Re: Bad Syringe? [Re: gixxer]
    #8810604 - 08/22/08 01:18 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, lilshopofspores I hear isn't that great. RALPHSTERS RULES!

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

InvisibleCornfield
Open Minded

Re: Bad Syringe? [Re: misos]
    #8811740 - 08/22/08 05:07 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

fudge, fingers crossed

Edited by Cornfield (08/23/08 01:19 AM)

Offlineddtc
dumbass noob
Male

Loc: FL
    #8811747 - 08/22/08 05:10 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

sporeworks much better:yoda2:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Microscope, Petri Dish, Potato Dextrose, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation