Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelord of change
Stranger
Male

Newest hpoo project...pix!
    #8807207 - 08/21/08 08:26 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Here is my latest experiment.

The pix portray the results of 4lbs costa rican inocculated rye spawned to 10lbs hpoo.  The results were contained within the one monotub that you see as well as 3 bags that I plan on fruiting invitro.  Only one bag is shown, but honestly, they all look pretty much the same.  The monotub and bags were mixed and set aside Monday night and they already appear nearly completely colonized!

How do these look to you guys?  Think I should put into fruiting conditions?

Thanks again...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Newest hpoo project...pix! [Re: lord of change]
    #8807393 - 08/21/08 08:59 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

yea hyphal knotting is a good sign you should, though you may wait until you see pinning as some of the sub is still uncolonized. Next time I'd recommend a more even distribution of your spawn in the sub usually this is the problem behind slow and or uneven colonization.

Also a high spawn ratio helps too Usually between 1:3 and 1:5 is about right. If your scared of contams best to aim high.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Edited by ScavengerType (08/21/08 09:00 PM)

Offlinelord of change
Stranger
Male

Re: Newest hpoo project...pix! [Re: ScavengerType]
    #8807424 - 08/21/08 09:05 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I know...I was so scared of keeping it open long for fear of contamination that I mixed it and shut it back up very quickly.  Afterward I was looking at it and thought about 'smoothing it over' a little, but again, fear of contamination kept me from doing so.

I'm such a newb at all this and the shroomery is my only ally in trying to hone my skills.  I think I've got the cleanliness thing down and am probably a little overboard with it, but better safe than sorry I guess.  I could case it in verm to try and level things a little if you think that would be wise.

All advice is appreciated...especially from you shroomy gurus.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#8807539 - 08/21/08 09:26 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Don't worry some of my first tubs had lousy distribution and horrible spawn ratios that's how I learned. What ya gota do is wash your hands and arms brush your teeth and use mouthwash (not for the mushrooms, the ladies just hate bad breath). Then bust up your spawn and bust up the clumps that are left from breaking it up in the jar and mix all the shit around in to the sub trying to achieve a nice even distribution.

Many people gripe about how you need a 1:3 spawn ratio, but I've had nice subs with a 1:5 ratio get 100% and start knotting in 5 days, give or take, just cause of good distribution of spawn. Nice thing about WBS over rye grains too is just that it's fine millet and cracked corn helps with distribution of spawn.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

Offlineaaronemerritt
boomer groomer
 User Gallery

#8807564 - 08/21/08 09:31 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

does poo do alot better than straw alone

--------------------
Mushrooms are a funny drug!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: Newest hpoo project...pix! [Re: aaronemerritt]
    #8807583 - 08/21/08 09:34 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

dono I only did coffee/coir and got into diverse subs afterward cause that's what all voices said was good when I looked into it.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Offlinelord of change
Stranger
Male

#8807649 - 08/21/08 09:43 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Well...since it was mixed and tubbed and bagged monday, thats only 4 full days so far and it's nearly completely colonized.  My ratio was 2:5, which I had read on here was a pretty decent mix.  I'm thoroughly amazed at the speed with which the poo/straw mix has colonized.

Hehe, as for cleanliness, I do all my work in a small, clean room that I've soaked in Oust Air and Surface 15 minutes prior.  Shower, shampoo, teeth brush, then wash hands again with AB soap, then don latex gloves and spray them with alcohol to keep clean frequently. Honestly, I could cut out a lot of work by building a glovebox probably--which will probably be an upcoming project.

edit:  lol, forgot to add the mask that I wear whenever I'm working with innoculations or spawning

Edited by lord of change (08/21/08 09:46 PM)

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #8807710 - 08/21/08 09:53 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

god that is so much work, make a big glove box!!

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#8807719 - 08/21/08 09:54 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

you should do inoculation and early myc work like; cloning, LCs and G2Gs in a glovebox but the later work of spawning is not so critical since the myc should kill most all of the contaminants easily. I still brush my teeth and use mouthwash though a lot of the time though I have my doubts if it's required, usually not breathing on the sub seems simpler.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation