Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do.
    #8806810 - 08/21/08 05:19 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Link here

Makes me so angry.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: MOTH]
    #8806831 - 08/21/08 05:23 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I assume you believe that exposing lettuce to radiation will somehow contaminate it.

Is there any evidence of this?  Any idea what amount of radiation the food may be receiving?

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlinerick0909
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: badchad]
    #8806845 - 08/21/08 05:26 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I saw this on the news tonight.  I felt unsure about it too.  After doing some research I don't think it's that bad of an idea.  It will be used to kill any E.Coli that may be in the greens.  Only a few greens have been approved by the Gov for this treatment.  Such as lettuce, spinach, and some other.

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the space between reality...
    #8806884 - 08/21/08 05:31 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Radiation... as in electromagnetic radiation?

Most fruit & veg are already exposed to gamma radiation as a way of sterilizing it..

--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Offlinerick0909
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: Cepheus]
    #8806894 - 08/21/08 05:33 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

They stated that most meats are already receiving this treatment.  New for greens though.

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: rick0909]
    #8806905 - 08/21/08 05:34 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I dont know what happens to the food when it is radiated but I really dont think that I want to be eating anything that has been radiated.
They are using us a guinea pigs and I for one am not happy about it.
There really isnt much we can do about it but buy our fruits and veggies from local farms that do not do stupid shit like this to our food supply.
I have been eating these foods all my life and havent gotten E Coli or anything else that they are trying to protect us from.
I have even stopped using the microwave because that is radiation.
:2cents:
Peace.

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery

#8806907 - 08/21/08 05:34 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds like you're trying to invoke a fear response.  What are the actual health issues you see with this?

Offlinepmb
Male

Loc: Washington
Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: Entropymancer]
    #8806936 - 08/21/08 05:40 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I don't see any risks with doing this but it just sounds like a dumb solution when all they have to do is tighten up sanitation.

--------------------
Don't smell the flowers, They're an evil drug to make you lose your mind

Offlinerick0909
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: pmb]
    #8806944 - 08/21/08 05:42 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Now we have to worry about sanitation going down.  Ah, the radiation will kill it.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: Entropymancer]
    #8806958 - 08/21/08 05:44 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Entropymancer said:
Sounds like you're trying to invoke a fear response.  What are the actual health issues you see with this?

It pisses me off, that's what.  I DON'T FUCKING WANT THE GOVERNMENT TAMPERING WITH MY FOOD.  That's what it boils down to and I can't believe you people aren't seeing it that way.  Since when does the government have our best interests at heart?  Since when does the government care if we are healthy or not, considering how much income gets racked in from the chronic disease industry and Big Pharma?  Sick people generate income.  We already spray poison on most fruit and vegetables THAT WE CONSUME and I think this is sheer madness.  What the fuck? 

How many people get sick or die from bacteria on greens, really?  Compared to meat or other food?  Compared to the legal drugs, compared to car accidents and other shit?  I'm serious, I wanna know.  Let's tally it up so that I can be educated since clearly I'm afraid of the FDA. 

You FUCKING BET I'm afraid of the FDA. Fucking with the food supply is outrageous; let alone fresh fruit and veg.  Don't you people care about what you put into your body?  I'm surprised on a drug community there are so many people okay with this.  I hope the irradiated produce will be labeled. 

Do you really want the FDA to decide "whats good for you" or not?  This is the branch of the same government that says it's evil and a criminal offense to use a plant to alter your consciousness.  Do you really want them to have control over what goes into your mouth?  Fresh greens + radiation?!

Oh yeah, for our SAFETY, right?  :rolleyes:

THAT sounds familiar, uh huh.  The government is ALWAYS looking out for US, for our "safety," right?! 

Fucking A.

HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT SOUND APPETIZING TO ANYONE, that's what I want to know. 

And yeah, I don't know what the radiation does to the greens but I suspect that it's not good for them, and therefore not good for me. 

Clearly the only way to avoid what's happening is to grow your own produce.  Gotta do what you gotta do. 

/rant off.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#8806988 - 08/21/08 05:50 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

So maybe I misread, but doesn't this article simply state it will "allow sellers" to use radiation?  I didn't read anything about radiation being mandatory or forced.

I for one, would like the freedom to buy produce I know is free of e.coli.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Edited by badchad (08/21/08 05:50 PM)

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: creekfreek]
    #8806993 - 08/21/08 05:50 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

creekfreek said:

There really isnt much we can do about it but buy our fruits and veggies from local farms that do not do stupid shit like this to our food supply.
I have been eating these foods all my life and havent gotten E Coli or anything else that they are trying to protect us from.
I have even stopped using the microwave because that is radiation.

Well said.  Local is where it's at. 

I just hope the irradiated stuff will be labeled.  Consumers have a right to know what they're eating.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: badchad]
    #8807001 - 08/21/08 05:52 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
So maybe I misread, but doesn't this article simply state it will "allow sellers" to use radiation?  I didn't read anything about radiation being mandatory or forced.

That is a good point but I feel it's only a matter of time before it becomes mandatory.  And the big corporations who supply produce to the grocery stores that most people eat will be the ones to start doing it.

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery

#8807005 - 08/21/08 05:52 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Wait, so there's no actual risks of irradiating food that you're aware of? And it's optional? Might as well get pissed of at juice being pasteurized.

If there's a health risk here, I'd be upset.  If it's killing bacteria without harming the food, I don't see much of a problem.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807025 - 08/21/08 05:57 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Entropymancer said:
Wait, so there's no actual risks of irradiating food that you're aware of? And it's optional? Might as well get pissed of at juice being pasteurized.

If there's a health risk here, I'd be upset.  If it's killing bacteria without harming the food, I don't see much of a problem.

How do you know I'm not HOLY HELL PISSED AS SHIT about juice being pasteurized?  :wink:  I've spent hours and hours squeezing and juicing my own. 

I'm suspicious of anything the government does for "my safety."  They make money off of people being sick. 

I have a right to be furious. 

here's another article:

http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/food/foodirradiation/irradiation-and-vegetables-nomix

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807033 - 08/21/08 05:58 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Very little testing has been conducted on the safety and wholesomeness of irradiated vegetables – and no published research is known to exist on whether irradiated lettuce and spinach are safe for human consumption.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807036 - 08/21/08 05:58 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The only vegetables that have been studied to any extent are potatoes and onions, and the results have been mixed. Though in most experiments animals fed irradiated potatoes and onions suffered no apparent health problems, this has not always been the case. Rat offspring died earlier, and mice showed chromosome damage after eating irradiated potatoes.1,2 These studies were done with foods irradiated at low doses.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807042 - 08/21/08 06:00 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Compared to dried spices and frozen meat, the products that have typically been irradiated in the past, vegetables are considerably more delicate. Their cellular structure cannot withstand the effects of irradiation, which along with killing bacteria damages everything else in its path.

head of lettuce Romaine lettuce, for example, was found to be “significantly less firm” when irradiated at doses even too low to significantly reduce bacterial contamination.3 In another study, a taste panel reported that irradiation ruined the color, firmness and overall quality of romaine lettuce.4 For vegetables in general, another study found that “irradiation may induce undesirable changes in quality, such as softening, browning, and loss of vitamin C".5

The article DOES state that it would be a HUGE undertaking to irradiate all vegetables and very costly. 

So at least there is hope in one capacity.  I'm calmer now.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

#8807063 - 08/21/08 06:05 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

while i totally agree with your views moth, being angry about it isnt gonna solve anything

Quote:

it's optional? Might as well get pissed of at juice being pasteurized.

:lol: as funny as that was, overheating juice doesnt alter its genetics in the same bad way that radiation does.
people have been heating their food for millenia, and only since we've been playing with radiation have so many health problems arised.

MOTH, use that burnt fuse as your way of bringing some control to it,
send 10,000 letters to the FDA stating u want the food marked if its going to be irradiated.

ill even send in some letters if u want
hell we should organize a group of people to not "stand against it", but to bring awareness to the subject and see that the knowledge is out there on display before people purchase

its proven that radiation to organic material causes changes in the genetics and cells
what if between the radiation treatment and the time it makes it to the store, its made some sickly amount of bad genetics that could cause horrible inflictions over time. any plant that isnt dried is still alive and producing things within itself, radiation may very well cause some bad outcome, possible deadly or sickening.

InvisibleJack yo Self foo
The Artful Dodger
 User Gallery

Loc: Where the red fern grows....
    #8807066 - 08/21/08 06:05 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

as long as i can still eat it cold i don't care...

radiation is a tricky word...sounds bad in certain sentances doesn't it...

i'm sure its fine...small doses aren't going to do anything...its about time they do something useful with that nasty stuff...

maybe they'll find we can run electricity on it next...

--------------------
You learn something new everyday, so be sure you learn something from it.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: CptnGarden]
    #8807101 - 08/21/08 06:10 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

CptnGarden said:
while i totally agree with your views moth, being angry about it isnt gonna solve anything

Quote:

it's optional? Might as well get pissed of at juice being pasteurized.

:lol: as funny as that was, overheating juice doesnt alter its genetics in the same bad way that radiation does.
people have been heating their food for millenia, and only since we've been playing with radiation have so many health problems arised.

MOTH, use that burnt fuse as your way of bringing some control to it,
send 10,000 letters to the FDA stating u want the food marked if its going to be irradiated.

ill even send in some letters if u want
hell we should organize a group of people to not "stand against it", but to bring awareness to the subject and see that the knowledge is out there on display before people purchase

its proven that radiation to organic material causes changes in the genetics and cells
what if between the radiation treatment and the time it makes it to the store, its made some sickly amount of bad genetics that could cause horrible inflictions over time. any plant that isnt dried is still alive and producing things within itself, radiation may very well cause some bad outcome, possible deadly or sickening.

You're right dude; anger is a waste of energy.  Thanks for the reminder.  I was feeling slightly irritable all day today and reading the news tipped it off. 

I'm much more relaxed at the moment. 

I've been sending letters and signing petitions for the past year to help stop the irradiation.  A lot of raw foodists are upset about this and I'm a member of that community.

InvisibleDieCommie

#8807145 - 08/21/08 06:17 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Looks like progress to me.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

#8807183 - 08/21/08 06:22 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said: A lot of raw foodists are upset about this and I'm a member of that community.

sexy bitches like it raw

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: CptnGarden]
    #8807202 - 08/21/08 06:26 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

CptnGarden said:
Quote:

MOTH said: A lot of raw foodists are upset about this and I'm a member of that community.

sexy bitches like it raw

YAR.  :grin:

Well guys, thanks for listening to me rant, at least.  Got some tension out.

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

#8807235 - 08/21/08 06:29 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #8807247 - 08/21/08 06:31 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

WakeboardrB said:

I'm not jumping to conclusions.  Mice and rats tested with irradiated food at small levels have chromosome damage and die earlier.

InvisibleDieCommie

#8807271 - 08/21/08 06:35 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Really?  Y'know we want links!

OfflineTangerines
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: woodwork Flag
    #8807280 - 08/21/08 06:36 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I'd have to try some radiation soaked greens before making a blind decision, of course.

Keep in mind visible light is radiation but it is non-ionizing.  The article says they are using x-rays which are fine IMO and also non-ionizing.  Ionizing radiation is the radiation I would be worrying about. That is radiation from unstable elements and compounds.

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

#8807285 - 08/21/08 06:37 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

You certainly were doing a pretty good job of jumping to conclusions at the beginning of the thread.

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: DieCommie]
    #8807299 - 08/21/08 06:41 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Really?  Y'know we want links!

I provided a link earlier in the thread, and quoted it.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807307 - 08/21/08 06:41 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #8807316 - 08/21/08 06:43 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

WakeboardrB said:
You certainly were doing a pretty good job of jumping to conclusions at the beginning of the thread.

Guess you do the same, otherwise you wouldn't be able to identify that behavioral tendency.

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

#8807329 - 08/21/08 06:46 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I know this isnt about radiation in or on food but its very similar.
Microwaving food is killing us.
http://www.relfe.com/microwave.html
Now after you read this, think about the FDA allowing more food to be radiated.
Not to mention that they have been radiating corn and meats for years now.
And all you folks out there that like Taco Bell, guess what, they are radiating their corn too.
This is quite a popular trend already, the FDA is just expanding the foods that they are allowing to be poisoned like this.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#8807340 - 08/21/08 06:48 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

That article cited one report of mice from 1959.  I'd like to see the materials and methods section.  OBviosuly the issue of "dose" comes to mind (In this case the radiation level used).

More recent and comprehensive reviews indicate that irradiating food ABOVE current safety levels doesn't really pose a risk:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10524010?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

Other experts even suggest food irradiation is underutilized:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15636392?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

All in all, irradiating food has been performed since 1963.  Its been proven safe and effective.  I mean, I can tell you that detecting radiation is relatively easy.  You hit the lettuce with radiation, then measure to see if there is any left over.

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#8807344 - 08/21/08 06:48 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

If they are using gamma, x-ray, or UV radiation then there is no harm, the waves of radiation will pass right through the food and be completely gone when the source of radiation is turned off.

Gamma and UV radiation travel in the form of waves, not particles. If they were using alpha or beta radiation, which are particles that might stick around, I'd be worried... But I highly doubt they're dumb enough to do that.

As long as the radiation they are using are waves, not particles, then I see no problem with it.

Science, it works, bitches! (who had that shirt at the NE08 gathering?)

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: Gumby]
    #8807356 - 08/21/08 06:50 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks, Mr. Science!

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807362 - 08/21/08 06:52 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

(I'm serious, I didn't know the differences between radiation)

InvisibleDieCommie

#8807381 - 08/21/08 06:57 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Some is just high energy 'light', like X-Rays.  They are dangerous if they hit you, but dont leave traces.

The other kind is high energy 'particles' (this is alpha and beta radiation).  They can be dangerous after the fact because they leave radioactive shit around.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#8807390 - 08/21/08 06:59 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Radiation is a VERY broad term.

Did you know that you are being irradiated AS YOU READ THIS? Thats right, you're getting a ton of radiation... from your monitor. The radiation comes in the form of light. Radiation is waves or particles moving through space. In the case of your monitor, you are being irradiated by photons of light coming from your monitor. Any time you see light, that is a form of electromagnetic radiation. Even radio waves can be considered radiation.

It's truly amazing to see how many people are afraid of the word radiation when they don't really know what it means.

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

#8807404 - 08/21/08 07:01 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/notomicrowave.htm

Read this article and the one I posted above and tell me that Moth is jumping to conclusions.
I think there is reason to be concerned even after reading what
Gumby had to say. Not saying that he dosent know his stuff but I just dont feel safe eating anything that has been radiated.
Moth, you dont have to eat the food that the FDA is allowing to be radiated, local farms and growing your self should be considered.
These people do not know the long term effects of what they are doing because this is too new, but I will bet that in a few more years there will be much more illnesses and ailments due to this and other stupid things that we are injesting and not even knowing about.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: creekfreek]
    #8807484 - 08/21/08 07:17 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I'm just using my intuition on this one.  It's not a science, just a gut feeling based on what I know about fruits and vegetables (not radiation) and knowing how they make me feel in their natural, pure form.  I'll stick with non-radiated produce, thanks.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: Gumby]
    #8807487 - 08/21/08 07:18 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:

It's truly amazing to see how many people are afraid of the word radiation when they don't really know what it means.

I've just read a lot of novels with the words, "radiation poisoning" scattered throughout.

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery

#8807504 - 08/21/08 07:21 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:
Quote:

Gumby said:

I've just read a lot of novels with the words, "radiation poisoning" scattered throughout.

:rolleyes:

That almost always refers to particle radiation.

Wave radiation can be harmful, but it's not always so.  Like Gumby said, you're being irradiated right now, as you read this.

Using your gut instinct to determine whether a particular sort of radiation is harmful is simply asinine.  If they're talking about harmful radiation, that's certainly something to get upset about.  I just haven't seen any indication that this is the case.

InvisibleDieCommie

#8807507 - 08/21/08 07:22 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:
It's not a science, just a gut feeling based on what I know about fruits and vegetables (not radiation) and knowing how they make me feel in their natural, pure form.

At least your honest :thumbup: 

That's where the truth lies, right down here in the gut. Do you know you have more nerve endings in your gut than you have in your head? You can look it up. I know some of you are going to say "I did look it up, and that's not true." That's 'cause you looked it up in a book. Next time, look it up in your gut. I did. My gut tells me that's how our nervous system works.
-Colbert

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807513 - 08/21/08 07:23 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Entropymancer said:
Quote:

MOTH said:
Quote:

Gumby said:

:rolleyes:

That almost always refers to particle radiation.

Wave radiation can be harmful, but it's not always so.  Like Gumby said, you're being irradiated right now, as you read this.

Using your gut instinct to determine whether a particular sort of radiation is harmful is simply asinine. 

How is it asinine when the radiation in question is GOING INTO MY GUT?! 

Jesus Christ.  I AM FINE WITH MY LETTUCE THE WAY IT IS. 

How hard is that to understand?

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery

#8807543 - 08/21/08 07:28 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Not difficult at all. 

I have no problem with you not wanting to eat irradiated food.  Though if you honestly do this, you'll starve, because the sun is currently irradiating your garden (Oh Noes!).

I never said that it's asinine to want to avoid irradiated food.  I simply said it's asinine to determine whether the radiaiton was harmful by gut instinct.  There is a very big difference.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807576 - 08/21/08 07:33 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Though if you honestly do this, you'll starve, because the sun is currently irradiating your garden

The food from a garden is still raw! 

http://www.fda.gov/opacom/catalog/irradbro.html

Quote:

The process may cause a small loss of nutrients but no more so than with other processing methods such as cooking, canning, or heat pasteurization. Federal rules require irradiated foods to be labeled as such to distinguish them from non-irradiated foods.

OKAY - there is the big problem for me.  I ONLY EAT raw foods.  Nothing cooked; nothing pasteurized.  That's it!  According to that government website it essentially states that it effectively makes the food non-raw. 

But I'm done with getting in a tizzy about it; like was mentioned I can just go local or grow my own.  It's okay; it's not like the government is forcing irradiated produce down my throat. 

By the way; I apologize if I seemed combative in this thread.  I was coming off a 5 day water fast and pretty irritable (and still kinda am).

At least it's gonna be labeled...makes me happy. 

Edited by MOTH (08/21/08 07:33 PM)

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8807643 - 08/21/08 07:43 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I hope you realise that whenever you cook food your exposing it to radiation.

Every single electrical appliance / outlet in your house emits radiation.

I'd be worried if the food was contaminated with a radioactive sample (alpha or beta) because then the ionising radiation would actually get inside you.. and that's not good.

--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe

Addicting is not a word.

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery

#8807665 - 08/21/08 07:46 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

^Finish reading the thread, she doesn't like to expose it to radiation from cooking either, which is totally fine.

I just don't like the way radiation=bad in some people's minds.  Unless you harvest and eat your food in a sealed environment in the dark, it's been exposed to radiation.

The choice to minimize the exposure of one's food to radiation is completely legitimate, and I respect it.  The choice to demonize all radiation is just silly (especially for someone who uses a computer)

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807675 - 08/21/08 07:47 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Cepheus said:
I hope you realise that whenever you cook food your exposing it to radiation.

Every single electrical appliance / outlet in your house emits radiation.

I'd be worried if the food was contaminated with a radioactive sample (alpha or beta) because then the ionising radiation would actually get inside you.. and that's not good.

I don't eat cooked food.  At all.  Haven't for 8 months.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #8807699 - 08/21/08 07:50 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Entropymancer said:

the issues I see is careless food handling and agricultural
practices and instead of fixing the problem they'd rather coddle
the large growers and allow them to fuck the consumer a little
more by dumping sewage on food crops and calling it fertilizer

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807700 - 08/21/08 07:51 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Entropymancer said:
^Finish reading the thread, she doesn't like to expose it to radiation from cooking either, which is totally fine.

I just don't like the way radiation=bad in some people's minds.  Unless you harvest and eat your food in a sealed environment in the dark, it's been exposed to radiation.

The choice to minimize the exposure of one's food to radiation is completely legitimate, and I respect it.  The choice to demonize all radiation is just silly (especially for someone who uses a computer)

I wasn't trying to demonize irradiation; my perspective was just coming from someone who eats raw foods...which government irradiation renders just like cooked.  So that's why I reacted so strongly.  Maybe that'll help explain. 

I forgot that the rest of the world eats cooked food and doesn't care if they do.  :shrug:  I'm all about the raw, so I flipped out when I heard this...yes I overreacted probably but whatever. 

/sigh/

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #8807702 - 08/21/08 07:51 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

Entropymancer said:

the issues I see is careless food handling and agricultural
practices and instead of fixing the problem they'd rather coddle
the large growers and allow them to fuck the consumer a little
more by dumping sewage on food crops and calling it fertilizer

Thanks for chiming in; I was curious on your take.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#8807771 - 08/21/08 08:04 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I've made a couple threads regarding this sort of bullshit, one
farmer here in Ga si now filing suit because his land is unusable
now, why do we not have the sudden outbreaks of e-coli and
salmonella in foods that we've previously never had this...

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8807781 - 08/21/08 08:06 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

What does only eating raw foods mean?

Its not a concept I've come across before :shrug:.

--------------------

Free Spore Ring Europe

Addicting is not a word.

InvisibleDieCommie

#8807805 - 08/21/08 08:10 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Its as simple as it sounds I think.  You dont cook any food you eat.  Raw fruits and vegetables.

Sounds like a bad idea to me.  Human health and population gained greatly with the advent of cooking food.  Plus, most people in the world simply dont have the luxury of eating fad diets and conjecturing about future, possible, unknown dangers.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807810 - 08/21/08 08:11 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It just means I eat everything in its fresh, uncooked state.  I don't leave the produce department at the grocery store, in other words.  A google search can tell you more.  Raw foods have helped many people heal from all kinds of ailments, even cancer.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807812 - 08/21/08 08:12 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Its as simple as it sounds I think.  You dont cook any food you eat.  Raw fruits and vegetables.

Sounds like a bad idea to me.  Human health and population gained greatly with the advent of cooking food.  Plus, most people in the world simply dont have the luxury of eating fad diets and conjecturing about future, possible, unknown dangers.

Raw is the oldest diet there is!  :smile:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807818 - 08/21/08 08:12 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

This isn't the thread for a debate about raw foods though; although my eating raw is why I got so pissy when I made the thread.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807835 - 08/21/08 08:15 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
I've made a couple threads regarding this sort of bullshit, one
farmer here in Ga si now filing suit because his land is unusable
now, why do we not have the sudden outbreaks of e-coli and
salmonella in foods that we've previously never had this...

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering.  I really appreciate your insight on this, as a farmer and someone who knows the rounds.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #8807882 - 08/21/08 08:22 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:

That's misinformed. The only major benefit to cooking food was necessary for eating - meat, and possibly rotting food. Eating raw red meat doesn't get you very far. However, the opposite is true for the vast majority of fruits and vegetables. When you cook them, you are breaking down and destroying a huge percentage of the vital enzymes, vitamins and minerals. The only exception to this rule are certain vegetables that need to be cooked in order to be edible.. like potatoes and other tubers. And when you DO cook vegetables, you want to cook them as lightly as possible while retaining the most amount of nutrients - ie.. steaming and pressure cooking. For example, raw broccoli has amazing cancer-fighting properties, when it is cooked almost all of those enzymes are destroyed. Eating raw food is not a "fad" diet..... it has been done that way for a very long time. Cooking fruits and vegetables is the fad.. unkonw dangers? Are you suggesting there are unknown dangers to eating raw vegetables? That's preposterous..

--------------------

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8807905 - 08/21/08 08:28 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hah, I was imagining you chowing down on an uncooked steak or something.

--------------------

Free Spore Ring Europe

Addicting is not a word.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#8807907 - 08/21/08 08:29 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:
I forgot that the rest of the world eats cooked food and doesn't care if they do. 

consider this for a moment, we have ailments on the rise due to
processed foods like TV dinners, these foods have been heavily
irradiated killing off bacteria that your body has been
ingesting for years, many of these microorganisms are beneficial
to our digestive tracts, without them we have an increase in
ailments like chrons disease, something that was only present in 
jews until the latter part of the 20th century.

you eating raw foods is benefiting you more than others eating
the irradiated foods, 3 people die, 200 sick from e-coli, what
exactly was the source of the ourbreak, was it migrant workers
dropping a load in the fields, was it contamination from sewage
sludge being used as fertilizers, well instead of finding the
source and fixing the problem the FDA has again succumbed to the
big money of the mega growers and simply put a bandaid on the
problem

they tell us there's no long term health risks, well, you tell
me, since the FDA has decided thousands of drugs on the market
help to do various things like lower cholesterol and then it's
discovered a few years later that the drugs do nothing but empty
your wallet, should we trust what the FDA has to say about
irradiated foods?

"Won't zapping leafy greens with X-rays or other means of radiation leave them limp? Not with today's modern techniques and the right dose, the FDA decided."

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: Shroomism]
    #8807970 - 08/21/08 08:41 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hey, I love eating raw vegetables.  I eat cooked shit too.  I think diversity is the best diet.  Cooked meat only, or raw vegetables only are not good diets. 

When I said conjecturing about future, possible, unknown dangers, thats in reference to ideas like X-Rays are bad.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807983 - 08/21/08 08:44 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I agree about raw vegetables only not being the greatest diet - too low in calories! 

That's why I am mainly a fruit eater.  :smile:  Perfect for energy.  There are some amazing athletes who live on mostly fruit.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8808032 - 08/21/08 08:54 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

MOTH said:
I forgot that the rest of the world eats cooked food and doesn't care if they do. 

consider this for a moment, we have ailments on the rise due to
processed foods like TV dinners, these foods have been heavily
irradiated killing off bacteria that your body has been
ingesting for years, many of these microorganisms are beneficial
to our digestive tracts, without them we have an increase in
ailments like chrons disease, something that was only present in 
jews until the latter part of the 20th century.

you eating raw foods is benefiting you more than others eating
the irradiated foods, 3 people die, 200 sick from e-coli, what
exactly was the source of the ourbreak, was it migrant workers
dropping a load in the fields, was it contamination from sewage
sludge being used as fertilizers, well instead of finding the
source and fixing the problem the FDA has again succumbed to the
big money of the mega growers and simply put a bandaid on the
problem

they tell us there's no long term health risks, well, you tell
me, since the FDA has decided thousands of drugs on the market
help to do various things like lower cholesterol and then it's
discovered a few years later that the drugs do nothing but empty
your wallet, should we trust what the FDA has to say about
irradiated foods?

"Won't zapping leafy greens with X-rays or other means of radiation leave them limp? Not with today's modern techniques and the right dose, the FDA decided."

You're EXACTLY right; the irradiation to prevent e-coli outbreaks is a bandaid to cover up a deeper issue.  Makes me mad again just thinking about it.  It's easier to cover something up then it is to uproot the source of the problem. 

It seems like humans are chronically diseased and suffering with illness.  This DOES NOT seem right to me!  How is this natural?  Why are so many people so sick?  What is happening here?  Why is it there are so many unhealthy people, some of them at the age that should be the prime of their life?  Things like colds/virus are commonplace for most people and since I went raw I haven't gotten a single cold or flu.  My eyesight has improved an entire level on my prescription.  I am more fit then ever.  I can only think the difference is the food. 

That's why I get so passionate about this kinda stuff; because I see sick people all around me and then when the government pulls a move like this, I  am concerned about my fellow man. I feel like this will make people sicker. 

But I know I shouldn't be.  People make their own choices...I have to accept that.  I have to accept where people are at on their personal journey with food. 

It's just hard to see so many sick people in the "greatest country on Earth." 

(^ gentle sarcasm, that last part)

Invisibleawesomebastard
Lost
Male User Gallery

#8808195 - 08/21/08 09:20 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

seems like a terrible idea to give doses of radiation to our food because every year a few dozen die from ecoli.

Alright lets raise the chances for cancer and genetic mutation to save a few people. Flawless logic.
Idiots.

--------------------
"Absolute certainty is a privilege of uneducated minds and fanatics." ~ C.J. Keyser

Mr. Cypher said: "I just tell the girls how sexy I am and their panties melt."

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: awesomebastard]
    #8808210 - 08/21/08 09:22 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

3 people died, I believe.  Not a few dozen.

Invisibleawesomebastard
Lost
Male User Gallery

#8808232 - 08/21/08 09:26 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

:rofl: We have turned into a nation of frightened illogical little children.

Although it is no doubt due to the media blowing the outbreaks way out of proportion and thus drastically reducing sales of veggies affected.

Companies are just looking for ways to make sure that they don't lose money.  The ultimate flaw with capitalism.

--------------------
"Absolute certainty is a privilege of uneducated minds and fanatics." ~ C.J. Keyser

Mr. Cypher said: "I just tell the girls how sexy I am and their panties melt."

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#8808399 - 08/21/08 09:47 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:
It seems like humans are chronically diseased and suffering with illness.  This DOES NOT seem right to me!  How is this natural?  Why are so many people so sick?  What is happening here?

growing up we raised and canned a great deal of our own food, we
made compost from leaf litter and took soil from the woods, it's
the same way it's been done for generations, coffee grounds and
egg shells, old rusty nails, all ended up in the garden to break
down and provide for the food we grew... I wont say I've never
been sick but I will say it's not been often, I've been to a
doctor 3 times in my life, my last tetanus shot was the first
time I was there and that was because I was getting stitches
and being 10 years old I didnt get much choice

I've told this story several times but my great grandmother
wouldnt eat fish or beef, she grew up on the chisolm trail and
saw cattle slaughtered through most of her life, she just
couldnt stomach it, got sick from eating canned sardines and
cake, she attributed it to the fish, her diet consisted of
chickens which she raised, squirrel and rabbit, those were
evening meals, her breakfast and lunch was bacon, she'd have a
couple biscuits with the grease from the bacon over the
biscuits, surely that's the least healthy way to eat but given
that she died at 93 I tend to think it's not the 'unhealthy'
foods that are to blame, instead it's the processed foods, she
never had McDonalds or Swanson TV Dinners and she'd never once
been to a doctor

The FDA was founded  in order to punish large companies that
adulterated food, the addition of chemicals and fillers and
other things that reduced the 'quality' of foods, now the
opposite is true, the FDA helps to cover this shit by requiring
it to be labeled as containing these adulterants, unfortunately
they're allowed to label things with broard terms like 'spices'
and 'flavors'. Now While I do believe that rat droppings and dog
hair may add a bit of flavor, I dont believe I should be eating
it, suppose I have an allergy ot paprika, it falls under spices
but I have no knowledge of it's presence until I eat the food

Quote:

since I went raw I haven't gotten a single cold or flu.  My eyesight has improved an entire level on my prescription.  I am more fit then ever.  I can only think the difference is the food. 

it's something I've been saying for years, food and water are
the 2 biggest necessities in life, it's also the greatest
opening for illness, I mentioned the bacteria, germs and even
parasites that we'd once gotten are no longer found in our
foods, many of those were of benefit to us, many are vital to
our health

I'll maintain until the day I die that doctors, modern
medicine/science is part of why health is on the decline

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8808476 - 08/21/08 10:01 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Prisoner - I agree with everything you said.  It's the processed foods that are killing people.  (and keeping us sick, a long with the 'sickcare system' we have in place.  (I refuse to call it 'healthcare' system.)  Even stores like Whole Foods are abundant with the processed stuff, because that's what people want; they are addicted. 

I just feel so much sadness right now, wondering about what can be done.  :frown:  It seems like all that the people care about in this country is making money.  Like that's their sole purpose for living or something.  And they will do whatever it takes to keep sales up, even if it means hurting people or covering up the truth.

It's getting to the point where a healthy person is the minority. 

What's going to happen to us as a species if this continues?  I shudder to think.

Edited by MOTH (08/21/08 10:02 PM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#8808605 - 08/21/08 10:32 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:
Prisoner - I agree with everything you said.  It's the processed foods that are killing people.  (and keeping us sick, a long with the 'sickcare system' we have in place.  (I refuse to call it 'healthcare' system.)

for some it's a death assurance system, the medical community
seems to kill some quarter million people a year through
negligence alone, how many more die due to mis diagnosis,
incorrect meds, drug interactions and such

money isnt made in the system by making people healthy, it's
made by making them feel better through creative chemistry

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery

#8808609 - 08/21/08 10:33 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Ain't that the sad truth

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8808612 - 08/21/08 10:34 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Can ANYTHING be done?  :frown:  It all seems so hopeless.

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery

#8808621 - 08/21/08 10:36 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I think Pris is doing about the best thing that can be done: Farm your own food.  I can't see any clear path to the necessary sort of paradigm shift.

Invisible7734591202
It's all a fuckin joke.
 User Gallery

#8808699 - 08/21/08 10:59 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

too bad property is at an unaffordable price nowadays.

--------------------
[quote]Tea said:
Dude how can you say such a thing. Ive literally read exact words about killing Americans within the Koran.......[/quote]
[quote]night_owl said::facepalm:[/quote]

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

#8808741 - 08/21/08 11:10 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I just heard about it on the news tonight.

damn man, dont they already do that to nuts.  I cant really tell.  but at least i'm growing some vegetables.

Wonder if they will radiate organic foods.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: Galvie_Flu]
    #8808748 - 08/21/08 11:12 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I just found out the Whole Foods I work at has a policy against carrying irradiated foods; which is a big plus.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: Galvie_Flu]
    #8809595 - 08/22/08 05:11 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

centrum said:
Wonder if they will radiate organic foods.

organic is a scam in it's self, plus how would you know

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8809604 - 08/22/08 05:26 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Well, Whole Foods has a little notice out that talks about irradiated foods and how they've chosen not to carry them for the time being.  :shrug:

I suppose that's something.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #8809642 - 08/22/08 05:54 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I would prefer irradiated foods, and I think concerns about these things are greatly overstated.

I can't imagine that any signifigant risk of contamination leading to added radiation in the food itself could occur, but who knows.

I just don't like the government regulations telling the processors that they can or cannot do something.

The companies should be free to irradiate if they want, the only rule should be that they should have to disclose to consumers on the packaging the methods they use and a brief overview, with more information available by writing or calling in.

Same with raw milk and hormone treated milk.  I don't want raw, and likely don't care about hormones, and think its stupid, but if people differ from me, fine.  Just put it on the label whether or not it is raw or processed and provide information on the process so consumers can make their own decisions.

I just don't like the government regs cuz they decide consumers don't need to be told about stuff.  Yeah it is probably irrelevant to any increased health risk but who is the government to interfere in the relationship between consumer and food supplier?  The government should only provide mechanisms for penalties against folks who don't disclose food processing methods.  Let the public decide.  Its my right to make poor choices as well as good ones based upon the infromation provided.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: johnm214]
    #8809652 - 08/22/08 06:06 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

> I can't imagine that any signifigant risk of contamination leading to added radiation in the food itself could occur, but who knows.

There really isn't any.  The 'worry' is much the same as with microwaved food.  Supposedly, the process of irradiation breaks down all the nutrients in the food, leaving them full of nasty byproducts (cancer causing free radicals) and little nutritional value.

The footnotes at http://www.truehealth.org/nukedfood.html is a good starting place if you want to read up on the topic.

I find it rather amusing that people worry about 'nuked food', while sitting in their car for two hours a day, stuck in rush hour traffic, sucking down toxic exhaust fumes after spending a nice relaxing weekend laying out in the sun, smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: Seuss]
    #8809664 - 08/22/08 06:15 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> I can't imagine that any signifigant risk of contamination leading to added radiation in the food itself could occur, but who knows.

There really isn't any.  The 'worry' is much the same as with microwaved food.  Supposedly, the process of irradiation breaks down all the nutrients in the food, leaving them full of nasty byproducts (cancer causing free radicals) and little nutritional value.

The footnotes at http://www.truehealth.org/nukedfood.html is a good starting place if you want to read up on the topic.

I find it rather amusing that people worry about 'nuked food', while sitting in their car for two hours a day, stuck in rush hour traffic, sucking down toxic exhaust fumes after spending a nice relaxing weekend laying out in the sun, smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol.

I get what you're saying except you're assuming these people concerned about the food have a car, smoke and drink. 

Oh well - the irradiated stuff will be labeled and not every grocery store is on board with carrying that kinda stuff.  I feel blessed in that capacity.

InvisibleUnholyChild666
I'M GOD
Male
Loc: Flag
    #8809685 - 08/22/08 06:28 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I would love some radiation on my greens

--------------------

"I am the Highest Power the leader of the pack"

Actiavte My Dream Sequence Machine

GOD of the hologram earth

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #8809686 - 08/22/08 06:29 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

> I get what you're saying except you're assuming these people concerned about the food have a car, smoke and drink.

I wasn't being literal... Rather, I was trying to point out that the world is full of 'nasty things' and people tend to fixate on a single 'nasty thing', because it sounds scary, while ignoring the plethora of other crap (pollution, etc) that is just as bad, if not more harmful.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8809778 - 08/22/08 07:11 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> I get what you're saying except you're assuming these people concerned about the food have a car, smoke and drink.

I wasn't being literal... Rather, I was trying to point out that the world is full of 'nasty things' and people tend to fixate on a single 'nasty thing', because it sounds scary, while ignoring the plethora of other crap (pollution, etc) that is just as bad, if not more harmful.

I certainly don't ignore it.  :lol:  I'm always working on detoxing myself from this toxic environment. 

But I know I am the exception to the rule.  I just happen to care about that type of stuff.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#8811792 - 08/22/08 03:30 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I can put a sign up saying I'm a doctor or call myself a
professional councilor but it doesnt mean I know what the
hell I'm talking about, around 85% of the organic market
share is controlled by 3 companies, Monsanto, Con-Agra and HJ
Heinz, do you think these companies will skip irradiating their
food, they're the ones that have pushed for the use of chemical
fertilizers and pesticides on organic crops, they're the ones
fighting the labling of milk as containing rBGH and fighting
against the labeling of genetically modified foods

if that 85% doesnt hit the market, what do you think will happen to food prices of organics, who will fill that gap

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: johnm214]
    #8811848 - 08/22/08 03:45 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
I would prefer irradiated foods, and I think concerns about these things are greatly overstated.

my concern regards checks and balances, if a grower is dumping
sewer sludge on the food crops to save tons of money and provide
the county/state a place to dump waste and it's becoming a
health hazard then why are we irradiating the food if the
problem has a simple, cheap and less controversial solution

Quote:

I can't imagine that any signifigant risk of contamination leading to added radiation in the food itself could occur, but who knows.

once again, what steps have growers taken that has brought us to
this point, what have they begun to do different in the last 20
years that is causing outbreaks of e-coli, instead of passing
the buck why not fine the growers and make them change their
dirty habits, maybe the radiation isnt an issue but suppose
theres other health problems that will crop up that we dont see today

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#8811855 - 08/22/08 03:47 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
The 'worry' is much the same as with microwaved food. 

I worry that it's flavorless, rubbery and sometimes seems to be made from sawdust

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
    #8812004 - 08/22/08 04:20 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

you know what pisses me off?

the fact that people are constantly beaming radio/television/cell phone/wi-fi waves through me.

that shit bugs me out when i think about it.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: truekimbo2]
    #8812088 - 08/22/08 04:38 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe you should stop thinking about it.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #8812807 - 08/22/08 07:50 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Or wrap yourself in aluminium foil :tinfoil:

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: zouden]
    #8812898 - 08/22/08 08:16 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

zouden said:
Or wrap yourself in aluminium foil :tinfoil:

+hop in the oven at 350o for 45 minutes and tell everyone you're a potato

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates