Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do.
    #8806810 - 08/21/08 07:19 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Link here

Makes me so angry.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: MOTH]
    #8806831 - 08/21/08 07:23 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I assume you believe that exposing lettuce to radiation will somehow contaminate it.

Is there any evidence of this?  Any idea what amount of radiation the food may be receiving?

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlinerick0909
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: badchad]
    #8806845 - 08/21/08 07:26 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I saw this on the news tonight.  I felt unsure about it too.  After doing some research I don't think it's that bad of an idea.  It will be used to kill any E.Coli that may be in the greens.  Only a few greens have been approved by the Gov for this treatment.  Such as lettuce, spinach, and some other.

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the space between reality...
    #8806884 - 08/21/08 07:31 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Radiation... as in electromagnetic radiation?

Most fruit & veg are already exposed to gamma radiation as a way of sterilizing it..

--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Offlinerick0909
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: Cepheus]
    #8806894 - 08/21/08 07:33 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

They stated that most meats are already receiving this treatment.  New for greens though.

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: rick0909]
    #8806905 - 08/21/08 07:34 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I dont know what happens to the food when it is radiated but I really dont think that I want to be eating anything that has been radiated.
They are using us a guinea pigs and I for one am not happy about it.
There really isnt much we can do about it but buy our fruits and veggies from local farms that do not do stupid shit like this to our food supply.
I have been eating these foods all my life and havent gotten E Coli or anything else that they are trying to protect us from.
I have even stopped using the microwave because that is radiation.
:2cents:
Peace.

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery

#8806907 - 08/21/08 07:34 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds like you're trying to invoke a fear response.  What are the actual health issues you see with this?

Offlinepmb
Male

Loc: Washington
Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: Entropymancer]
    #8806936 - 08/21/08 07:40 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I don't see any risks with doing this but it just sounds like a dumb solution when all they have to do is tighten up sanitation.

--------------------
Don't smell the flowers, They're an evil drug to make you lose your mind

Offlinerick0909
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: pmb]
    #8806944 - 08/21/08 07:42 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Now we have to worry about sanitation going down.  Ah, the radiation will kill it.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: Entropymancer]
    #8806958 - 08/21/08 07:44 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Entropymancer said:
Sounds like you're trying to invoke a fear response.  What are the actual health issues you see with this?

It pisses me off, that's what.  I DON'T FUCKING WANT THE GOVERNMENT TAMPERING WITH MY FOOD.  That's what it boils down to and I can't believe you people aren't seeing it that way.  Since when does the government have our best interests at heart?  Since when does the government care if we are healthy or not, considering how much income gets racked in from the chronic disease industry and Big Pharma?  Sick people generate income.  We already spray poison on most fruit and vegetables THAT WE CONSUME and I think this is sheer madness.  What the fuck? 

How many people get sick or die from bacteria on greens, really?  Compared to meat or other food?  Compared to the legal drugs, compared to car accidents and other shit?  I'm serious, I wanna know.  Let's tally it up so that I can be educated since clearly I'm afraid of the FDA. 

You FUCKING BET I'm afraid of the FDA. Fucking with the food supply is outrageous; let alone fresh fruit and veg.  Don't you people care about what you put into your body?  I'm surprised on a drug community there are so many people okay with this.  I hope the irradiated produce will be labeled. 

Do you really want the FDA to decide "whats good for you" or not?  This is the branch of the same government that says it's evil and a criminal offense to use a plant to alter your consciousness.  Do you really want them to have control over what goes into your mouth?  Fresh greens + radiation?!

Oh yeah, for our SAFETY, right?  :rolleyes:

THAT sounds familiar, uh huh.  The government is ALWAYS looking out for US, for our "safety," right?! 

Fucking A.

HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT SOUND APPETIZING TO ANYONE, that's what I want to know. 

And yeah, I don't know what the radiation does to the greens but I suspect that it's not good for them, and therefore not good for me. 

Clearly the only way to avoid what's happening is to grow your own produce.  Gotta do what you gotta do. 

/rant off.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#8806988 - 08/21/08 07:50 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

So maybe I misread, but doesn't this article simply state it will "allow sellers" to use radiation?  I didn't read anything about radiation being mandatory or forced.

I for one, would like the freedom to buy produce I know is free of e.coli.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Edited by badchad (08/21/08 07:50 PM)

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: creekfreek]
    #8806993 - 08/21/08 07:50 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

creekfreek said:

There really isnt much we can do about it but buy our fruits and veggies from local farms that do not do stupid shit like this to our food supply.
I have been eating these foods all my life and havent gotten E Coli or anything else that they are trying to protect us from.
I have even stopped using the microwave because that is radiation.

Well said.  Local is where it's at. 

I just hope the irradiated stuff will be labeled.  Consumers have a right to know what they're eating.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Want some RADIATION on those greens?! FDA thinks you do. [Re: badchad]
    #8807001 - 08/21/08 07:52 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
So maybe I misread, but doesn't this article simply state it will "allow sellers" to use radiation?  I didn't read anything about radiation being mandatory or forced.

That is a good point but I feel it's only a matter of time before it becomes mandatory.  And the big corporations who supply produce to the grocery stores that most people eat will be the ones to start doing it.

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery

#8807005 - 08/21/08 07:52 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Wait, so there's no actual risks of irradiating food that you're aware of? And it's optional? Might as well get pissed of at juice being pasteurized.

If there's a health risk here, I'd be upset.  If it's killing bacteria without harming the food, I don't see much of a problem.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807025 - 08/21/08 07:57 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Entropymancer said:
Wait, so there's no actual risks of irradiating food that you're aware of? And it's optional? Might as well get pissed of at juice being pasteurized.

If there's a health risk here, I'd be upset.  If it's killing bacteria without harming the food, I don't see much of a problem.

How do you know I'm not HOLY HELL PISSED AS SHIT about juice being pasteurized?  :wink:  I've spent hours and hours squeezing and juicing my own. 

I'm suspicious of anything the government does for "my safety."  They make money off of people being sick. 

I have a right to be furious. 

here's another article:

http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/food/foodirradiation/irradiation-and-vegetables-nomix

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807033 - 08/21/08 07:58 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Very little testing has been conducted on the safety and wholesomeness of irradiated vegetables – and no published research is known to exist on whether irradiated lettuce and spinach are safe for human consumption.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807036 - 08/21/08 07:58 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The only vegetables that have been studied to any extent are potatoes and onions, and the results have been mixed. Though in most experiments animals fed irradiated potatoes and onions suffered no apparent health problems, this has not always been the case. Rat offspring died earlier, and mice showed chromosome damage after eating irradiated potatoes.1,2 These studies were done with foods irradiated at low doses.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#8807042 - 08/21/08 08:00 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Compared to dried spices and frozen meat, the products that have typically been irradiated in the past, vegetables are considerably more delicate. Their cellular structure cannot withstand the effects of irradiation, which along with killing bacteria damages everything else in its path.

head of lettuce Romaine lettuce, for example, was found to be “significantly less firm” when irradiated at doses even too low to significantly reduce bacterial contamination.3 In another study, a taste panel reported that irradiation ruined the color, firmness and overall quality of romaine lettuce.4 For vegetables in general, another study found that “irradiation may induce undesirable changes in quality, such as softening, browning, and loss of vitamin C".5

The article DOES state that it would be a HUGE undertaking to irradiate all vegetables and very costly. 

So at least there is hope in one capacity.  I'm calmer now.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

#8807063 - 08/21/08 08:05 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

while i totally agree with your views moth, being angry about it isnt gonna solve anything

Quote:

it's optional? Might as well get pissed of at juice being pasteurized.

:lol: as funny as that was, overheating juice doesnt alter its genetics in the same bad way that radiation does.
people have been heating their food for millenia, and only since we've been playing with radiation have so many health problems arised.

MOTH, use that burnt fuse as your way of bringing some control to it,
send 10,000 letters to the FDA stating u want the food marked if its going to be irradiated.

ill even send in some letters if u want
hell we should organize a group of people to not "stand against it", but to bring awareness to the subject and see that the knowledge is out there on display before people purchase

its proven that radiation to organic material causes changes in the genetics and cells
what if between the radiation treatment and the time it makes it to the store, its made some sickly amount of bad genetics that could cause horrible inflictions over time. any plant that isnt dried is still alive and producing things within itself, radiation may very well cause some bad outcome, possible deadly or sickening.

InvisibleJack yo Self foo
The Artful Dodger
 User Gallery

Loc: Where the red fern grows....
    #8807066 - 08/21/08 08:05 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

as long as i can still eat it cold i don't care...

radiation is a tricky word...sounds bad in certain sentances doesn't it...

i'm sure its fine...small doses aren't going to do anything...its about time they do something useful with that nasty stuff...

maybe they'll find we can run electricity on it next...

--------------------
You learn something new everyday, so be sure you learn something from it.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub