Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Chile Pepper Infused Honey for LC
    #8806750 - 08/21/08 07:11 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I was thinking about starting my first shot with a LC, and I happened to notice today in the store Chile Pepper infused honey.  What you would use this for normally, I do not know, but do you think this would have better or worse effects on the mycelium than regular honey?  I may give it a shot regardless just to find out, but what do you guys think?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegluvbox
mycophagist
 User Gallery

Re: Chile Pepper Infused Honey for LC [Re: libertaire]
    #8808966 - 08/22/08 02:05 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
-------------------------------------
Please contribute to the mycology wiki:
mycology.wikia.com

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: Chile Pepper Infused Honey for LC [Re: gluvbox]
    #8809584 - 08/22/08 06:59 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

From the story:  "The fungus is spread by aphid-like insects, and in areas where they are more common, peppers had high levels of capsaicin, the chemicals that give peppers their heat, the researchers found. Capsaicin dramatically slows growth of the fungus.

"Capsaicin doesn't stop the dispersal of seeds because birds don't sense the pain and so they continue to eat peppers, but the fungus that kills pepper seeds is quite sensitive to this chemical," said Tewksbury."

I wonder if capsaicin has the same effect on all fungal growth, or just this one fungus that is harmful to it.  Anyone know?  Because if not:  "The peppers use sugar and fats to attract birds that eat the chilies and disperse the seeds. The fungi also like fats and sugars, but they destroy the seeds."  So if all fungi act the same, it would benefit from this because there would be added sugars and fats, but at the same time, may growth may possibly be slowed down or destroyed by capsaicin.  I'll post what happens when I get around to trying this.

OfflineGojira45
Armchair Explorer

Loc: Travelling Without Moving
Re: Chile Pepper Infused Honey for LC [Re: libertaire]
    #8809690 - 08/22/08 08:30 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Chances are, instead of 'pepper infused', they mean 'capsaicin infused', where the 'hot' of the pepper is added to the honey for flavoring. As mentioned, capsaicin is a fungicide, and may inhibit growth in your LC. Why risk it?

FYI, and completely OT, but birds are 'immune' to the heat of capsaicin, and the peppers 'use' the birds to spread their seeds.

--------------------
"The theft of the seals and the possibility of a Planet X really point to everything we are doing as humans.

It was all set up. Were doing the same thing Hitler did with artifacts and knowledge about hollow earth.

Everthing points to hollow earth and that ultimitaly points to planet X." 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation