Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSmellyMushroom
Top Hat Mushroom

Back with bulk questions and pics from last growth! :)
    #8805835 - 08/21/08 03:32 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

It has been a while since I posted here! And it has also been a while since I cultivated any mushrooms! I cleaned my place this week and got to all my cultivation stuff and couldn't resist after seeing a douzen of poor syringes waiting in the dark for any activity.

So, today, I started soaking 7 500ml jars of WBS that I will put in the PC tommorrow! The thing is, last batch of WBS I did was a bit messed up due to the lack of space and the size of the casings. They weren't even incubated. Funny thing tho, they all made it without contams and gave me some proper mushrooms at second and third flush. AHOY! PICTURES AHEAD!

1st

2nd

But yeah. This batch was really messy, I didn't really pay attention to anything and made it all wrong. Still, I got some results, but not as much as I could have done with WBS.

SO, now I've came to the idea of doing bulk. At least, if it is possible with my current equipment. My FC uses about one hundred holes all around it for good air flow. I had good results with this proper FC until now, but since I'd like to use it as one big casing as shown in many bulk teks I am worried it won't do the trick. Still, some pictures:

Last time I used WBS I made it into two big casings, wich made it impossible to incubate with my small cooler. So I figured out it would be easier to make the casing directly into the FC. But with that many holes, isn't there a big risk of humidity lost? If I mist once a day should it be fine? Where can I find a bulk tek that would fit my desires?

Also, one more last question. I bought, almost one year ago, a certain amount of poo (I don't remember if it was a mix or not). And had it stored until now. It still looks moist but I guess I'd have to pasteurize it, do I? Here's a crappy picture (but the best I could take) of the package..

Thanks a lot for helping me out. I love this hobby and I am hoping to achieve great results with this batch.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAlabama Slim

Re: Back with bulk questions and pics from last growth! :) *DELETED* [Re: SmellyMushroom]
    #8805882 - 08/21/08 03:41 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by Alabama Slim

Reason for deletion: delete

OfflineSmellyMushroom
Top Hat Mushroom

Re: Back with bulk questions and pics from last growth! :) [Re: Alabama Slim]
    #8805953 - 08/21/08 03:56 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

So, from what I've read... correct me if I'm wrong somewhere of course.

Once my jars are colonized and filled with gorgeous myc, I mix it directly (1:1 ratio) with poo. And that, directly in the tub with a plastic bag under it. I tape down all the holes for incubation and store it in a 80'F dark place until the mix is also fully colonized.

Then, I case it with whatever mix I want (I have a bag of verm so I might just use that or add some coir with it). Do I have to make the casing layer sterile? Should I bring air exchange and misting as soon as I add the casing?

--------------------

Edited by SmellyMushroom (08/21/08 03:57 PM)

OfflineSmellyMushroom
Top Hat Mushroom

Re: Back with bulk questions and pics from last growth! :) [Re: SmellyMushroom]
    #8806094 - 08/21/08 04:28 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Correction, my jars are 250ml. I guess I won't have enough to do a tub will I? If I have 7 250ml jars, that means about 1.16L of colonized grain. Wich means, with poo added into the tub it would make a total of 2.32L of substrate without the casing layer.

--------------------

OfflineI Like Alkaloids
Brought Back to Life
Male

Loc: Rocky Mountains, U.S. Flag
    #8806295 - 08/21/08 05:12 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SmellyMushroom said:
So, from what I've read... correct me if I'm wrong somewhere of course.

I mix it directly (1:1 ratio) with poo.

From what I understand, you want a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio of spawn:substrate

:cool:

--------------------
A lot of people here are assholes, but so am I...

:cool:

OfflineSmellyMushroom
Top Hat Mushroom

Re: Back with bulk questions and pics from last growth! :) [Re: I Like Alkaloids]
    #8806370 - 08/21/08 05:35 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds better! It means I'd end up with 4.64L of subrate from 1.16L of spawn. If I didn't make any mistakes, it means I'd have 283 cubic inches of subrate ready to case. That would make a 3inches deep subrate in a 10x10 inches tray.

Mmm. Sounds good.

--------------------

Offlinerobanero
β Lib
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in Tx
    #8806436 - 08/21/08 05:53 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

1:2 to 1:4 will get you going good. Of course the smaller the ratio the smaller the grow but the faster it will colonize.

--------------------

310 open cap Hawaiians grown a 1 pint WBSF cake.

SPAWN RATIO CALCULATOR

My Little Hawaiians

Spawn Bag Tek

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation