Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJSshroom
dont be paranoid, just aware

Loc: I love that spore drop
spawn bag problems
    #8802900 - 08/20/08 09:05 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

These bags are from sporeworks which inadvertently come from unicorn bags so I know they are top notch.

I have been loading them into my 921 and my 941 but I keep getting small holes in the bags.  I pc at 15psi for 4 hrs and let cool.  i watch the temps carefully as I impulse seal them before I load them in the pc.  I have no laminar flow hood and I hate dealing with the really hot bags.  They seem fine when I get them out.  I knock them up and they colonize rather quickly but then after a week I pick them up to shake them and theres a hole?  I have lost a total of 6 bags. 

AM I loading the bags too full?
in the 941 the bags do not touch the sides of the PC so I dont know.  here are a few pics of the bags loaded in the pc.  any help would be appreciated.

I use the lid spacers in the 921 to make sure steam permeates everywhere well but in the 941 since the bags are angled I dont as I thought maybe the rings were poking the holes but I am still having troubles anyway.

--------------------
First Grow No more carpet tek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: spawn bag problems [Re: JSshroom]
    #8803595 - 08/20/08 11:37 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Does it have a filter patch?  Dont seal the bag when it cools transfer it to a gb if your paranoid bout contams.  Or just seal em right out of the canner when they are cool.  You doin g2g or lc?  If your doin g2g just do it in a gb.  LC or MS seal the bag up right out of the canner.  Hope it helps.

--------------------
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.  (Homer)

Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the fat guy. How I loathe him. (Drunk Homer)

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not. (Tyler Durden)

Edited by Krez (08/20/08 11:38 PM)

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: spawn bag problems [Re: Krez]
    #8804346 - 08/21/08 07:26 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It could be 3 things:

Too much heat during warming up the PC. Propane, gas?

Rolling the top of the bag up or otherwise blocking the filter patch so it cant vent steam

Rats/Mice. Yup I had this problem before.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: spawn bag problems [Re: sandman420]
    #8804347 - 08/21/08 07:27 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

WTF are you taping over the filter patches? Don't do that. Sporeworks bags are preseable because the filters allow 1-5 microns particles through vs 0.5 microns on the regular bags but If you are blocking them with tape then no....

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Edited by sandman420 (08/21/08 07:29 AM)

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #8804394 - 08/21/08 07:51 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Theres no need for the rings at all either. I used to do this but stopped and saw no difference except no more ugly ass rings on the bags. Just stack each row alternating 90 degrees on the placements.

From what I can see in the pic in the 921 you dont have a trivet or spacer keeping the bags out of the water. You should get a trivet.

Looking at the pictures its obvious they are blowing up in the PC. They should come out looking vacuumed instead of puffed out.

Are you pulling the vent toggles to release steam? Dont do this. You may need to cool them slower as well. That is when they blow up allot of times is during cooling.

Dude isnt 4 hours a tad steep? I switched to using a custom pf mix in my bags with a tad of horse manure added for consistency. Easier to make than WBS, works excellent as spawn in bags, 1.5 hour cook time 18psi.

--------------------

Edited by sandman420 (08/21/08 07:52 AM)

Offlinegrod31
Stranger
Male

Loc: New York
    #8804552 - 08/21/08 08:48 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

you do not want to seal the bag before the PC it makes to much pressure build up in the bags. PC then impulse seal. also i don't think 4 hours is necessary i just PC my bags for 2 hours.

--------------------
Back the tape up.  I need it again!
Let it roll!  Just as high as the
fucker can go!  And when it comes
to that fantastic note where the
rabbit bites its own head off, I
want you to  THROW THAT FUCKING
RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!
    Not me.  It would blast you through
the wall stone dead in ten
seconds and they'd make me explain
VVVVV Free Myco Thread

OfflineWronguy

Trusted Cultivator
Re: spawn bag problems [Re: grod31]
    #8804750 - 08/21/08 09:40 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I've probably cooked around 700-800 bags, so I'll tell you what I do.

Equipment used:
ALL-American 941
Cadco 1500 watt hot plate
5" X 4" inverted Corningware dish for spacer and rack support
Capacity per run-9 bags

Procedure:
1. Bags are loaded with 4.5-5 pounds of substrate.
2. Bag is folded over with filter patch facing bag side, taking care to reform gusset so the flaps are nice and neat.
3. Bottom row is loaded filter patch facing inward in a triangular shape. You can smash corners for a better fit on the bottom.
4. Next 2 rows, 3 rows in total for 941, are flattened pretty well so they look like compressed ovals.
5. Top 2 rows are positioned so filter patches face outward. Keep in mind that all filter patches are still facing bag sides, just pointed outward.
6. Top row corners are slightly mashed inward to avoid direct conflict with lid.
7. Cooker inside is lined with foil.

A couple of tips:
1. Cooker is loaded with boiling water from my kitchen prior to loading.
2. Bags are not pushed down onto each other, but compressed by hand prior to loading.
3. Flaps of bags are slightly tugged on after loading each row so you can fit about 2 fingers between the flaps and bag sides. This gives any necessary room for expansion when steam builds up during pressure cooking.
4. Bags are placed on times when they reach pressure so they do not exceed the recommended time allowance of 2.5 hours. If I forget about them I know they're safe.
5. Bags are sterilized at 15Psi for 2.5 hours, no longer.
6. Cooker is allowed to relieve itself of pressure naturally, which takes about 45-60 minutes.

Procedure following cooking:
1. While bags are still hot, but pressure is relieved, bags are impulsed sealed shut on the top edge.
2. Bags are moved to a table and staged singularly for the application of RTV injection ports.
3. Using hi-temp automotive RTV sealant, a small dime-nickel shaped circle is placed on the bag on the top. Remember, the filter patch is still folded downward and touching the side of the bag.
4. RTV is allowed to cure for 24 hours. A piece of clear packing tape is place over the small injection port to avoid accidental movement and removal.
5. Bags are kept in their folded state until inoculation to avoid drying the substrate out from air.
6. Once I'm ready for inoculation, the bags are inflated by simply unfolding the bags, running fingers up gusset, and separating filter patch from other side of plastic. While grabbing the bag below the impulse seal, swing the bags for approximately 1-2 minutes until you have clear separation between the filter patch and other side of the bag.
7. You're now ready to inoculate.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have and I hope this helps.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder