Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What is Ego Death? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #8825214 - 08/25/08 02:18 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i didnt mean holding you back that way. i meant ultimately holds you back. no matter what it may enable you to strive for, it holds you back ultimately. because no matter what you achieve your ago will make you unhappy or unable to realize the truth and good of what really matters.

But from reading the other posts in this thread i think my definition of ego death is different from all the others.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLarrythescaryrex
teardrop on the fire
Male User Gallery

Loc: further down the spiral
Re: What is Ego Death? [Re: Locus]
    #8825379 - 08/25/08 02:49 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

how do you people think that the id and superego should factor into this conversation?

--------------------
RIP Acidic_Sloth

Sunset_Mission said:
"larry the scary rex
verily scary when thoroughly vexed
invoke the shadows and dust, cast a hex
mercifully massacring memories masterfully
relocate from Ur to 8th density and become a cosmic bully
mulder and scully couldn't decipher his glyphs
invoke the shadows and dust, smoke infernal spliffs"
April 24th 2011

Invisibleawesomebastard
Lost
Male User Gallery

Re: What is Ego Death? [Re: vinceTM]
    #8825803 - 08/25/08 04:22 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Ego death is an abstract idea of an abstract idea, so concretes do not apply here.

I wish these threads would stop coming up.

Edited by awesomebastard (08/25/08 06:08 PM)

InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
    #8825958 - 08/25/08 04:55 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Ego death is like going to another dimension. You are in a place that is not recognizable as reality as you know it. You are not "alive" as you are familiar with the term. Everything is changed, your body is gone, the outer world is gone, and yet you remain perfectly aware.

It's the level of tripping where there's no difference between having your eyes open or closed. You are simply gone.

I mistook one of my earliest shroom trips for an ego-death, but it definitely was not. My first real experience with ego-death came years later when I smoked DMT, and I was utterly shocked.

I agree ego-death is kind of a silly term but I have a hard time thinking of a better way to describe a trip where your perception of yourself as a discrete entity is shattered so powerfully that your personality and thoughts become your physical environment, that you are literally, physically shooting through the corridors of your consciousness.

Edited by Tchan909 (08/25/08 04:59 PM)

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
Re: What is Ego Death? [Re: Diddyds]
    #8826025 - 08/25/08 05:08 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Only time i've had ego death was when I lost all my pridefull thoughts and intentions. Life changing experience off of 1.8 grams. My friend almost shat his pants and same thing happened to him.

--------------------

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
    #8826055 - 08/25/08 05:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I think a lot of people think they've experienced ego death because a lot of people define ego as sort of a self-centered, self-important aspect of one's personality. The word ego primarily means the self, a conscious experience of the self.

Quote:

ego 
–noun, plural e·gos.
1. the “I” or self of any person;
a person as thinking, feeling, and willing, and distinguishing itself from the selves of others and from objects of its thought.
a. the enduring and conscious element that knows experience.

One of the secondary definitions (the fourth one in the dictionary I'm using) is this. But I really don't think the term ego death refers to this.

Quote:

4. egotism; conceit; self-importance; self-esteem or self-image; feelings

The ego deaths I've had are experiences where I lose all concept of self. Theres no more me, I totally forget that I'm a human being or even a separate and distinct entity.  Consciousness remains, I'm still aware of the world around me (usually a completely hallucinatory world), the senses remain intact but the self is gone. Its incredibly blissful. DUH!

Quote:

Only time i've had ego death was when I lost all my pridefull thoughts and intentions. Life changing experience off of 1.8 grams.

That's a common misconception. It takes wayy more than 1.8 grams to trip hard enough to experience ego death.

But to each his own I guess, there are many different ways to interpret the term "ego death" but I think the purpose of words and terms are to communicate ideas. And in order for that to work then we all need to share common definitions.  If everyone had their own definitions for words then no one would know what anyone was talking about.  My definition could be wrong, I'm just puttin on the table to see if anyone agrees.

Edited by BoneMan (08/25/08 05:28 PM)

Free sVs!
Female

Re: What is Ego Death? [Re: BoneMan]
    #8826076 - 08/25/08 05:17 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah... it gets easy to think outside of your head even on lighter doses of psychedelics, but ego-death refers to more intense higher-dose experiences where you lose the ability to comprehend "I," "myself," "me," etc. in any sense what so ever.

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

Edited by Tchan909 (08/25/08 05:18 PM)

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
Re: What is Ego Death? [Re: BoneMan]
    #8826180 - 08/25/08 05:43 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

BoneMan said:
Quote:

Only time i've had ego death was when I lost all my pridefull thoughts and intentions. Life changing experience off of 1.8 grams.

That's a common misconception. It takes wayy more than 1.8 grams to trip hard enough to experience ego death.

Let me re-phrase that then, I lost my sense of pride, and pride is my biggest demon.  I don't want to lose my sense of being, that sounds like some hippy shit.... ego death why would someone want that?

--------------------

InvisibleRobo
R Series 66Y
Re: What is Ego Death? [Re: awesomebastard]
    #8826191 - 08/25/08 05:45 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

awesomebastard said:
Ego death is an abstract idea of an abstract idea, so concretes do not apply here.

I wish these threads would stop coming up.

It is interesting hearing different people's takes on it and attempts to describe it, though.

Free sVs!
Female

Re: What is Ego Death? [Re: ray40cal]
    #8826192 - 08/25/08 05:45 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Ego-death is only for those folks who would like to have their personality changed into a visible transforming geometric wonderland, and then either explore it or get shot through it like out of a cannon.

It's a pretty wild experience, not one I would repeat lightly, which is why I've barely been tripping lately.

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

Invisibleawesomebastard
Lost
Male User Gallery

Re: What is Ego Death? [Re: Robo]
    #8826380 - 08/25/08 06:17 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

true I just think it's retarded when people reply to others
and say something like "no your wrong" or "thats a common misconception".

Other than that these threads are interesting.

--------------------
"Absolute certainty is a privilege of uneducated minds and fanatics." ~ C.J. Keyser

Mr. Cypher said: "I just tell the girls how sexy I am and their panties melt."

Invisiblecosmictaco
The answer IS the question
 User Gallery

Loc: In a Ditch
Re: What is Ego Death? [Re: awesomebastard]
    #8826575 - 08/25/08 06:46 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

A "bad trip" is when you feel like you are going to lose your ego and you fight it. or not.-)

--------------------
                Apple butter toast is nice,...

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
    #8826702 - 08/25/08 07:07 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ray40cal said:
Let me re-phrase that then, I lost my sense of pride, and pride is my biggest demon.  I don't want to lose my sense of being, that sounds like some hippy shit.... ego death why would someone want that?

I've had that happen to me too, its an awesome feeling and I thought that was ego death until I had what I now consider to be an ego death.  I don't know what you mean by it being some hippy shit but its actually a real cool experience.  Obviously its temporary. I can't say how long it lasted because time lost meaning, but I would guess it was just a few minutes.  It wasn't something I was trying to achieve though, it kinda just happened.  Its just a really new feeling to be completely conscious and aware but have no thoughts and no idea of self, just kind of like observing.  Afterwards it makes you think.  It gives a whole new perspective on existence and being.  Maybe consciousness doesn't require a living body to inhabit.

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery
    #8826714 - 08/25/08 07:10 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ray40cal said:

Because it's an amazingly beautiful and humbling experience, when "you" cease to be and all things flow in the cosmic river.  Perhaps it is your sense of pride that so strongly resists the dissolution of self?

Invisiblesleepy
zZzZzZzZz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: What is Ego Death? [Re: Entropymancer]
    #8827133 - 08/25/08 08:08 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

ego death is truly being born.  the illusion dies and the reality is there. 

its great!

Invisiblehamandcheese
Sandwich
 User Gallery

Loc: Next Level
Re: What is Ego Death? [Re: sleepy]
    #8828021 - 08/25/08 10:44 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It is truly undefinable, for as you try to comprehend what is happening the sense of "I" returns. The mind begins to tell itself "I" believe that this experience means this. and the second this happens the Ego has taken hold again. And if it is able to take hold again it has never truly been dissolved.

My problem with the idea of ego death is that i equate it to stretching the rubber band that is the mind.  In its current(normal) state it has no beginning nor end.  an "ego death" is like  stretching that rubber band as it is pulled a part more and more life's facades pass by. the varying span that band is pulled equates to the different "levels" or intensity people seem to have.
But at some point that rubber band, (not able or not willing to break) begins to return to its original state. i think thats why many people say they have had an "ego death" only to retract that statement because they later managed to stretch this rubber band further than they have previously been able or willing to stretch it.

And the only way to extend it beyond the current outer limits to break through the remaining facades is to break the rubber band.  The circular shape of the rubber band IS the ego. it prevents you from reaching the outer most facades but also hold you together. break its bond(so called ego-death) and the rubber band now has a distinct begin(birth) and end(death).

because of my views on the subject i have a problem with the term "ego-death". ego-transcendence or better yet self-transcendence would be more suitable, but still fails to capture the experience unfortunately. the only reason i continue to use the term is because its easier as it seems to be the most common term for the event.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order