Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar   Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNosLaser
Colonization question
    #8802241 - 08/20/08 08:38 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I have 3 jars that have been colonizing for just under a month (PF Tek), came along really strong, with no contams.  They each have maybe a small triangle on the bottom of the jars that for some reason refuses to colonize.  I tried turning them upside down to see if it made a difference, and left them for about a week with no change in any of those particular spots. 

Those spots aside, they looked completely colonized to the point where if those spots didnt exist, the week I let them sit and monitored the changes could have been considered my week to consolidate upon the substrate. 

So being this is my first grow, I was a bit anxious to see what would happen if I birthed one.  I did it, and sure enough, it was completely colonized aside from that one spot which looked like the mycellium was ignoring it completely.  The un-colonized spot came off almost as easy as the dry verm layer.  So I birthed the other two with the same result.  I now have them soaking in cool water as part of the dunk and roll, so I will keep everyone posted on the progress. 

Is this common?  It really looked like the mycellium didnt want any part of those little spots for whatever reason, like it ignored them.  Did I birth them too early?  Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepftek

Re: Colonization question [Re: NosLaser]
    #8802532 - 08/20/08 09:36 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

i don't know too much but did you perhaps burn the cakes?

InvisibleKrackers
nobody
 User Gallery

Re: Colonization question [Re: pftek]
    #8802553 - 08/20/08 09:40 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

hmm, i have a few resistant spots that have just been sitting uncolonized, though they are in no way perfect geometrical figures. So ill let em sit. Tell me how it works out.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Colonization question [Re: Krackers]
    #8802593 - 08/20/08 09:48 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Those uncolonized parts probably had bacteria growing in that spot that prevented the mushroom mycelium.  It should be OK if it all washed off under the faucet prior to the dunk and roll.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineNosLaser
Re: Colonization question [Re: pftek]
    #8802597 - 08/20/08 09:50 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I keep them at a temperature controlled 79 degrees, so I don't think that's possible.  If it happened during sterilization, then I guess that could be possible, although I kept them on two set of jar lids away from the bottom with the water filled up to just the bottom of the jars.

Quote:

pftek said:
i don't know too much but did you perhaps burn the cakes?

OfflineNosLaser
Re: Colonization question [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8802609 - 08/20/08 09:53 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Those uncolonized parts probably had bacteria growing in that spot that prevented the mushroom mycelium.  It should be OK if it all washed off under the faucet prior to the dunk and roll.
RR

That sounds more likely.  The cakes are completely colonized otherwise, and these small parts just kinda came off under the steady stream of water and light pressure with my fingertip.  I was careful to not scratch the mycellium with my nail. 

Some people have suggested to cut the affected portions out based upon some reading/searching I have done.  Is that a good idea, or should I just leave them alone to do their thing naturally?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar   Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation