Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejeffdamann
Stranger
I need help with inoculation using spent mycelium
    #8801899 - 08/20/08 07:09 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I just grew my first crop, and I have picked the mushrooms. I was wondering if maybe I set up a jar of rye seed and then cut up the mycelium I already have(I used vermiculite) and add it in, will the mycelium start to take hold of the rye seed?There are visible spores on the vermiculite cakes I have left from the old shrooms.If this is not an option, will the spores create new shrooms on the existing mycelium?

Im just trying to figure out if Id be better off getting new spores and doing another crop that way or would it be better to use my existing mycelium and spores to start a new crop.

Any help is greatly apreciated, Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinespazn420
zombie mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: I need help with inoculation using spent mycelium [Re: jeffdamann]
    #8801911 - 08/20/08 07:13 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

congrats on your first harvest! You can re-use the mycelium, After my cakes are done I crumble them into some compost. I have never tried to transfer to rye, it just seems easier just to put it in some nice cow compost!

--------------------

Offlinemdbnkc
RED BALLS
Male User Gallery

#8801982 - 08/20/08 07:30 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Im not sure about the spent mycelia, but the spores would germinate if contams didn't take over. Although thousands of spores over a small area isn't really a good thing, you really want them spread out.

Offlinejeffdamann
Stranger
Re: I need help with inoculation using spent mycelium [Re: spazn420]
    #8801986 - 08/20/08 07:31 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

That sounds like a good idea, but if at all possible I was wanting to inoculate as much substrate as I can with my existing 8 cakes, and was wondering what my best option for doing so its.

My 8 cakes yielded lower than I would have liked. I may have gotten 30-40 shrooms from all 8 and only about 7 or 8 that i would call fully developed.

Once again any information that could help me take what mycelium I have and make many more jars of colonized substrate would be greatly apreciated.

OfflineBubba McMushies
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #8802145 - 08/20/08 08:11 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Spent mycelium is just that "SPENT".

After fruiting the myc loses vigor. Hence no more fruits...

There is a possiblity of spawning to a bulk substrate, but dont expect something to happen.

I am not trying to be negative. I am simply trying to state that it would be a waste of time and effort for a very limited return.

--------------------
SPAWN CALCULATOR!

Offlinemdbnkc
RED BALLS
Male User Gallery

#8802582 - 08/20/08 09:46 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

If your cakes are in a sterile FC (as they should be), you might be able to take chunks (with sterile gloves or spoon) of the cakes that have spores concentrated on them put them in a ziplock bag. Then fill the bag with enough sterile water to shake around the cakes to get the spores into the water. You could then make a syringe or couple from the spores in the water. I would do all of this in a glovebox or infront of a flowhood and be as sterile as possible all througought the procedure just to be sure. Also, I would also do a test jar to make sure there aren't any contams in the syringe. Good luck with whatever you do.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I need help with inoculation using spent mycelium [Re: mdbnkc]
    #8802598 - 08/20/08 09:50 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

You can't use spent cakes to inoculate rye.  Perhaps coir or manure, preferably outdoors, but not rye.  It would be green within a week.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation