Home | Community | Message Board

Vesp.co, Inc.
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Peat, Perlite, San Pedro, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRahz
Dead Gone Forgotten
Male

Assorted cactus questions
    #8801165 - 08/20/08 04:02 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I've been doing some shopping. I have 4 seed packets on the way (San Pedro, Peruvian, Bridgesii, and Macrogonus) and some 12" Bridgesii cuttings.

I've bought plastic seed starter trays.:thumbup:

I have Cactus Palm & Citrus soil mix -w- Miracle Grow. I was concerned about using this for seedlings, but
found a post in which it was used successfully. Opinions on this?

I also bought some play sand... then read that it's inferior to river sand. The post suggested that play sand was too fine to provide adequate drainage. Opinions?

It seems I can get out cheapest using the long plastic "pots". I'm not sure what they're called, but they're like 24"x8"x6 inches deep. I'll probably get a nice pot for one or two of them, but the rest will go in these cheap pots. The question is, what size Pedros can be expected from an 8x8" pot (3 cacti per long tray). I assume the growth will slow at some point, but I'd like them to grow to at least 12" before running out of space.

Are these trays ideal?

Also, what size pot should I use for the 12" cuttings?

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

“Walking around 6 million years ago. Looking kind of human 1 million years ago. Writing things down 6 thousand years ago.”

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
Re: Assorted cactus questions [Re: Rahz]
    #8801289 - 08/20/08 04:42 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

regular cactus soil mixed with 1/3 sand does the trick for me.

what i personally do is sprinkle the seeds on a pre-smoothed surface, spray with water, then add a thin layer of sand, just *barely* enough to cover the seeds, then spray again. then i stick the seed tray in a ziplock bag and seal it, then put a sheet of paper over it to prevent direct sun from reaching the seedlings.

after about two weeks i take the paper off and begin to unseal the ziplock bag day by day until left completely open. after a week of sitting in an open ziplock bag i take the seed tray out and allow the seedlings to begin hardening -- usually a month to a month and a half from seed germination.

again, this is just what i have personally done, others probably have better techniques.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
    #8801474 - 08/20/08 05:26 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

my tek differs from yours only slightly, as you say we all have our own ways :wink:

op: fungicide solution is something i recommend you soak the growing medium in before planting the seeds and have some diatomaceous earth handy incase of fungus gnat problems later on...

get some propper cactus soil, forget the stuff that is pumped with nutrients... cactus compost is obviously the stuff to be using :yesnod:

coarse sand/river sand is better than the fine stuff for the reason you stated above.

your pots for germinating sound fine, anything that holds the growing medium is fine.

leave your cuttings out of soil and orientated the correct way up until they start to throw roots, no need to put them into soil at all to start with...
just stick them in a pot without soil or the temptation to give water will no doubt get the better of you, and also if they are potted in soil you will just have to unpot them later to check for root development :tongue2:

when they do throw roots pot them up in moist soil (whatever pot size you like) and don't water them much for the first few months until the root system is well developed.

--------------------
View My Gallery

InvisibleRahz
Dead Gone Forgotten
Male

Re: Assorted cactus questions [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #8803325 - 08/21/08 12:27 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I'll get some coarse sand, and do two mixes, one based on potting soil and one based on this cactus mix I have.

Any recommendation between perlite and lava rocks?

for the seed soil, are most plant fungicides OK to use? And, would fungicidal treatment for seedling soil be in addition to soil sterilization, or an alternative?

Thanks for the responses, it's like my mush cult foray all over again.:mushroom2:

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

“Walking around 6 million years ago. Looking kind of human 1 million years ago. Writing things down 6 thousand years ago.”

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
    #8803776 - 08/21/08 02:30 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I use 5" x 5" tupperware type containers. I have used the MG cactus soil recently, but that was 2 days ago. Before that I used seed starting soil. The burpee brand (peat/fine perlite) works wonderfully. I have had great success with it. I have also used the Jiffy brand (peat/verm). I hate it. It turn spongey. Once that happens, its hard to keep the moisture level right. I will never use Jiffy soil for anything, period.

I fill each tray 2/3 with soil and add a lot of distilled water. I squeeze the soil and pour the excess water in the sink. I put the lid on them and nuke individually for 10 minutes. I allow them to cool off overnight. I sow my seeds then give them a fine misting of distilled water and replace the lid. I have 14 trays of assorted cacti and 1 kanna tray. Like stated above, everyone has their own methods. If it works then it works......

Trichocereus roots are shallow and wide. So width is the largest concern. I would say 3 gallon pots would be ideal for cuttings. You wouldn't have to repot to soon with those.

No, not all fungicides are good for cacti, from my understanding. Try locating Chinsol. The only place I have found it is in the UK. I have used Schultz brand Garden Safe 3 in 1 fungicide. It doesn't seem to hurt my mature loph, tricho, astrophytum, ariocarpus, epithelantha, pereskiopsis, etc. Use at you own risk. Some chemicals will burn thier skin. I called Schultz and they said it was safe for all cacti seedlings.

EG

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: Assorted cactus questions [Re: ethnoguy]
    #8806380 - 08/21/08 05:39 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Try locating Chinsol. The only place I have found it is in the UK.

guess what fungicide i use :lol:

--------------------
View My Gallery

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
Re: Assorted cactus questions [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #8807684 - 08/21/08 09:48 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Guess who is going to mail me some? :crazy2:

EG

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
Re: Assorted cactus questions [Re: ethnoguy]
    #8807859 - 08/21/08 10:18 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

i haven't used fungicide on my cacti yet, i'm actually kind of scared to use any insecticide or fungicide after what happened to my pedro and bridgesii last year.

the seedlings seem to be doing fine anyway.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: Assorted cactus questions [Re: highdroponics]
    #8809403 - 08/22/08 04:59 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

i don't use fungicide actually on my cacti, i only use it for soaking the growing medium in, so damping off of seedlings is not a problem...
i've never had any trouble with fungus anyway, just a precautionary measure :wink:

as EG said, spraying anything onto cacti should be done with extreme caution... test a small area first to make sure it doesn't burn them.

--------------------
View My Gallery

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Peat, Perlite, San Pedro, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden