Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Magic Seller Busted for 'Love Stone' [VA]
    #8800148 - 08/20/08 09:01 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Magic Seller Busted for Love Stone
August 20, 2008 - Style

It’s not exactly a question most lovers hope to inspire: Is that a wart in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

And it’s most certainly not a question you want to hear from the police officer who’s just pulled you over for speeding. In the case of a traffic stop in Chesterfield County more than a year ago, the driver was not happy to see the officer in question, who found no wart when he searched the driver’s car.

Instead, the officer happened upon a thumb-sized black rock, nicknamed a Love Stone. Derived from toad venom (or a venomous toad’s dried sexual organ if you believe some Web sites), it’s used as an aphrodisiac by people who don’t mind rubbing toad sweat on their nether regions.

The rock, banned in the United States in 1967, is a schedule 1 controlled substance, which lumps it in the same class of drug offenses as heroin possession.

The Chesterfield traffic stop inspired a year-long investigation that involved the Food and Drug Administration in the Washington area, and led to the arrest of Donna Bryant Woo, identified by Virginia State Police as an owner of Devine Magic and Novelties, an eclectic shop at 5409 Lakeside Ave. Woo apparently sold the rock to the hapless Chesterfield driver.

“During the course of the investigation, we discovered [the Love Stone] was being sold,” state police spokeswoman Deborah Cox says. “My understanding is it’s a hallucinogenic. It’s applied topically.”

Woo’s Henrico County store sells such wide-ranging supplies as healing crystals, medieval replica weapons and playing cards decorated with tasteful nudie pinups. Police charged her with distribution of a schedule 1 controlled substance, to which she pleaded guilty in March.

According to medical literature, there’s debate on whether the Love Stone — known as bufotenine to less romantically inclined scientists — is either a hallucinogen or an aphrodisiac. All agree is that it can kill, as it’s done four times in New York since 1993 — most recently in May.

But what is also debated — at least by the folks at Devine Magic and Novelties — is whether Love Stone’s illegal status is widely known. Contacted for comment at the store, Woo quickly passes the phone to a man who declines to identify himself.

“They made a big issue and made us an example, that’s it,” the man says. “We bought it from retailers. There are other places [in town] where you can still buy it off the shelf. We got caught up in something that the government doesn’t tell you when they ban stuff from other countries that’s been on the shelf since I was a kid.”

“I cooperated with them and they just hammered the hell out of me,” the man says. “I’m just a small magic shop — sponge balls and rabbits out of the hat. This is killing me, man.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Magic Seller Busted for 'Love Stone' [VA] [Re: veggie]
    #8800169 - 08/20/08 09:07 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

> “I cooperated with them and they just hammered the hell out of me,”

You do not cooperate without first getting immunity, period.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineChemy
Jesus is Lord

Loc: A Church
Re: Magic Seller Busted for 'Love Stone' [VA] [Re: Seuss]
    #8800544 - 08/20/08 10:56 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

The Jamaicans sell that all around Miami, I didn't know it was toad venom, the thing is a hard black rock, when you rub it, it burns like hell, worse pain than breaking a bone IME. But after the pain goes away it works, too well......

How is that illegal? It's absurd.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

Get help, help is free and available 24/7/365.

God bless you all and I hope you receive the help you need to turn away from your lives of sin.

Mushrooms and drugs make you gay, you can reverse this homosexual condition with rehab, get help! Stop being gay!

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery

Re: Magic Seller Busted for 'Love Stone' [VA] [Re: Chemy]
    #8801115 - 08/20/08 01:47 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Chemy said:
How is that illegal? It's absurd.

It's illegal because these toad secretions contain some bufotenine (which is probably why the cop said he was under the impression that it's hallucinogenic).  But I very strongly doubt that bufotenine plays any role in its effect as an aphrodisiac.  There's cardiac stimulant chemicals (cardiac glycosides IIRC) in the venom which most likely account for its effect.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom