Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Laminar Flow Hood, Magnetic Stirrer, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleKauaiOrca
Waterman

First try at LC
    #8800291 - 08/20/08 11:43 AM (10 years, 6 hours ago)

Im taking my first attempt at making LC as I sterilized a baby bottle with silicon in the nipple with malt/dextrose solution inside and inoculated with a syringe of spores.  After 4 days, I see lots of white stringy strands but also see a couple of very dark, very small specks, or dots in there too.  Just a couple.  Is that contamination or just spores clumped together?  What exactly does contamination in LC look like?

--------------------
"The universe is endless, limitless and infinite.  Any effort to define it's boundaries is an attempt to overcome ignorance.  We are physical, mental and spiritual beings ... there is no beginning and there is no end.  There is only memory.  Our repeated loss of memory experiences create the illusion of beginnings and ends.  Immortality is the ability to retain full memory through all consciousness transformations.  Loss of memory is man's greatest curse and, in very real terms, death."

-- Ancient Taoist Master

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegrod31
Stranger
Male

Loc: New York
Re: First try at LC [Re: KauaiOrca]
    #8800302 - 08/20/08 11:46 AM (10 years, 6 hours ago)

you cant tell what a contam in a lc looks like 99% of the time the only way you can tell is by knocking up a pf cake or checking it on agar sometimes when a lc isn't correct it will sink or all float. also i would recommend to blobs of silicone on the lc one for an air port.

--------------------
Back the tape up.  I need it again!
Let it roll!  Just as high as the
fucker can go!  And when it comes
to that fantastic note where the
rabbit bites its own head off, I
want you to  THROW THAT FUCKING
RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!
    Not me.  It would blast you through
the wall stone dead in ten
seconds and they'd make me explain
VVVVV Free Myco Thread

Edited by grod31 (08/20/08 11:48 AM)

Invisibleseven
Male

Loc: north carolina
Re: First try at LC [Re: grod31]
    #8800336 - 08/20/08 11:56 AM (10 years, 5 hours ago)

once again advising the "grain lc" method. its a way of acheiving and almost promised contam free lc. or myc water. you can squirt the mycelium water back into a sugar based lc for better growth. insted of going back to the water. either way, you will feel more confident of your culture!

--------------------
grind

OfflineFugueRider
Looney Toon Lover
Male User Gallery

Re: First try at LC [Re: seven]
    #8800401 - 08/20/08 12:15 PM (10 years, 5 hours ago)

I tried several of the TEKS out there. I finally landed on this one, and it has been working great for me. The only thing I had to do was to make sure I leave my LC gently stirring on a magnetic stirrer. Otherwise it wasn't so successful for me. Withe the stirrer though, it works really great. Mine are generally ready within about a week.

I still reckon myself a noob however, so other with more experience may differ, and so I will defer to them.http://http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7887928#7887928

--------------------

May All Beings be Peaceful, Happy and Free

InvisibleKauaiOrca
Waterman

Re: First try at LC [Re: FugueRider]
    #8800603 - 08/20/08 01:18 PM (10 years, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

FugueRider said:
I tried several of the TEKS out there. I finally landed on this one, and it has been working great for me. The only thing I had to do was to make sure I leave my LC gently stirring on a magnetic stirrer. Otherwise it wasn't so successful for me. Withe the stirrer though, it works really great. Mine are generally ready within about a week.

I still reckon myself a noob however, so other with more experience may differ, and so I will defer to them.http://http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7887928#7887928

Tried to pull up the tek you posted but didn't work.  Do you know what it's called?

--------------------
"The universe is endless, limitless and infinite.  Any effort to define it's boundaries is an attempt to overcome ignorance.  We are physical, mental and spiritual beings ... there is no beginning and there is no end.  There is only memory.  Our repeated loss of memory experiences create the illusion of beginnings and ends.  Immortality is the ability to retain full memory through all consciousness transformations.  Loss of memory is man's greatest curse and, in very real terms, death."

-- Ancient Taoist Master

Invisibleseven
Male

Loc: north carolina
    #8801271 - 08/20/08 04:39 PM (10 years, 1 hour ago)

seriously search for "GRAIN LC" its a post by the member agar. and has an eyeball icon. that is if you havent already.

--------------------
grind

InvisibleKauaiOrca
Waterman

Re: First try at LC [Re: seven]
    #8801872 - 08/20/08 07:03 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

seven said:
seriously search for "GRAIN LC" its a post by the member agar. and has an eyeball icon. that is if you havent already.

Appreciate the advice.  I'll check it out.

--------------------

-- Ancient Taoist Master

OfflineFugueRider
Looney Toon Lover
Male User Gallery

#8803284 - 08/21/08 12:17 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Tried to pull up the tek you posted but didn't work.  Do you know what it's called?

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to this thread. I was at school. I am not sure why the post is not coming up.

The only way I have varied from the TEK is that I dont' use the Whatman filters. I had already ordered some filter disk lids from myco-supply so that I could give my lc's plenty of FAE, and they have worked really well it would seem. From the sound of all the trouble you have to go through with the Whatman filters, I think my solution is more elegant and probably provides similar if not the exact same goal.

Also, since my first lc didn't work, I upped the amount of malt extract to five grams instead of one gram. Now I am down to two and a half grams, and they are developing fine. So I will back it off to one gram for my future ones to see if that works. I think there must have been other problems when I used only one gram of malt...like no FAE for example...magnetic stirrer on too fast. I don't know. They are working now though, and this TEK is really easy. So here it is:

I see so many questions about lc's. I see all the different recipes, the techs, the ideas. I have seen recipes that use honey, karo, dextrose, turbino... I know these ideas came up because of the ease of obtaining some of these products. We all have the Internet so its about time you guys slow down, order some real supplies, and make some real liquid cultures that work great.

I have tried most of the formulas and lid designs and this seems to be the best one.

The formula is basic. 1 gram of powdered brewers malt per 500ml of water. Any water will work. Tap, spring, distilled, rain, toilet(unused).
A gram of powdered malt is about a 1/2 teaspoon of powder. I know this will seem like its not enough but it is. It is more than enough.
When making lc's less sugar is better. You do not want a hyper active mycelium that goes into shock once put to grain which has less sugar.
You want the opposite. A healthy low sugar mycelium that goes hyper active once it hits the grain that has more sugar.

Here are the supplies you will need fo this.

Jars and plastic lids. metal work and are good but I know some of you will try to deviate from the tech and try to microwave the liquid. If you do not have a pressure cooker then you are not serious about mycology.

Quart jars with plastic lids. I prefer small mouth but either will work
http://www.canningpantry.com/ball-quart-mason-jar.html
http://sporeworks.com/store/product.php?productid=16254&cat=0&page=2

brewers malt. Buy the lightest color that they offer.
http://sporeworks.com/store/catalog/Dry-Malt-Extract-Wheat-Formula-p-16218.html

Rubber stoppers
http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm

1/4th and 1/2 inch drill bits. Preferably forstner
http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/product_info.php/cPath/269_270_277/products_id/1412

Whatman filters Also known as Syringe filters

http://cgi.ebay.com/Corning-Syringe-Filters_W0QQitemZ270200001056QQihZ017QQcategoryZ26415QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silicon
http://doitbest.com/main.aspx?pageid=64&sku=779324&memberid=0129&associate=true

Drill a 1/4 inch hole and a 1/2 hole in the lid. Drill the holes towards the outside of the lid but do not go through the area that makes the seal on the jar. Lightly sand the area around the hole so that the silicon will stick. Use just a bit a silicon and glue the stopper and filter to the lid. Wait 24 hours. Maybe take the dirt bike out for soil eroding, nature destroying, air polluting, noise producing ride.

Now add your 500ml of water(any type) and 1 dry gram of powder to the quart jar. Smaller or larger jars will require more/less water/malt. You guys should be smart enough to figure it out but than again you guys never cease to amaze me.

Put the lid on and cover with foil. Pc for 20-30 mins at 10-15 psi. 30 mins will be more than enough at 5 psi so don't get carried away here like I know you guys love to do. Longer is not better. You will cause floaters and might damage the sugar but this is highly unlikely.
Let cool in your pc, glove box, or flow hood.
Use the injector port for spore syringe inoculations although this is not recommended. It is best as with any lc to use a live culture from a petri dish. Always keep the lid covered with foil when not in use. Do not get carried away and use coffee filters. These things harbor mold spores.
Always spray the jar/lid with alcohol before unscrewing the lid to drop in the culture. Always wipe the injector port with alcohol before inserting a needle. I am becoming a big fan of the alcohol wipes and holding them around the needle while inserting it and pulling it out.

Here are the lids with the correct location of the holes. The stopper needs a 1/2inch hole. The filter needs anywhere from a 1/8th-1/4 inch hole

The injector port with silicon on it

The filter with silicon

Just make sure the silicon oozes out from under the filter and injector port.

Fill the open area around the filter. You do not want an area for growth here because it will be impossible to clean. It will not affect the contam rate because if its contamed than the lc will be. It will be sterile after pc'ing.

It should look like this

After pc'ing they will be this color. They are actually a little lighter in color but the flash turned them yellow

After a few weeks. This is a fully colonized lc. It needs to be in the fridge. You will most likely be able to use your lc a week after inoculation. This one is basically over grown but still good.

Here is one in action. Look how is just stops spinning. This is because it is super thick. Like jello.

I would like to thank www.sporeworks.com for their years of support and help with pioneering radical and new cultivation ideas. I am trying to get them to stock these filters.

Credit for this tech shouldn't be given to me. I first saw the idea in one of monstermich's post. I have heard that the good man "Agar" first brought these filters to our attention.

I would also like to thank Samurai_Jim, blood4blood, oysterguy63, and emrandel for giving me the strength and courage to finish this tech.

Edited by tahoe (01/17/08 12:37 PM)

Post Extras:

--------------------

May All Beings be Peaceful, Happy and Free

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Laminar Flow Hood, Magnetic Stirrer, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation