Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHattori Hanzo
Are You Experienced?
Male User Gallery

Loc: South of the Mason Dixie ...
Newly Acquired All American 921...help?!
    #8798246 - 08/19/08 08:34 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

recently acquired 921, no instructions.

I have a couple questions for experienced All American Owner/Users.

This looks more like a sterilizer than a PC, as it has a stopcock which releases pressure. I cleaned it up, especially around the seal with 220 grit wet paper.

There is this nut, just north of the handle, which upon inspection, didn't look so good...don't know what it is, (one of my questions), but I decided to give this 921 a quick test.

Added about 3-4inches of water and placed it on the stove, screwing all handles down good and hand tight. I turned the stove on high and played with the stopcock as it was heating up. I could tell that the stopcock in the up position, released pressure. So I flipped it down and began to watch the gauge closely.

I was happy to see 5lbs, 10lbs...as it approached 15lbs, I turned the stove down to medium. 15lbs I heard a small pop. The gauge continued to rise to 17lbs...I turned the stove off...continuing to rise to 19lbs. Now let me say...I'm sweating pretty good at this point, because I have a small kitchen, poor a/c and a freakin' 275 degree time bomb on my stove. I moved it off the burner, carefully. Knees shaking.

So...here are the pics...what the heck is the nut here?

Shouldn't at 15lbs steam begin to be released from somewhere?

Where do I find the part for this, as the All American site shows overpressure plugs, but this don't look nothing like an overpressure plug.

Thanks in advance!

This is the stopcock...should it release steam at 15lbs?

This is the mystery part, looking at the threads from the side...

This is looking at the mystery part from the top down...top side of lid...

This is looking at the mystery part from the bottom of the lid...looks funky...what's its purpose? does it look functional? where do I find a replacement part?

H.H.

--------------------
First Grow Log
GT&TX DoubleTubs
Malabars and Hawaiians

Keep your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you. --unknown

Edited by Hattori Hanzo (08/19/08 08:37 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: Newly Acquired All American 921...help?! [Re: Hattori Hanzo]
    #8798411 - 08/19/08 09:05 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Instructions....

https://store.wafco.com/ezMerchant/products.nsf/Subjects/Instruction+&+Recipe+Book+-+AAPC+Downloads

Vent pipe cleaning, parts labeled ect. safety valve should have kicked in at 18 and vented.

:jester:

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: Newly Acquired All American 921...help?! [Re: Peterthinks]
    #8798430 - 08/19/08 09:07 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

post a pic of the whole lid so we can see what's missing or damaged.

--------------------
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

#8798461 - 08/19/08 09:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Spare parts

http://www.allamericancooker.com/allamericanpressurecookerparts.htm

You may need a vent pipe and regulator if missing...

--------------------

OfflineHattori Hanzo
Are You Experienced?
Male User Gallery

#8798551 - 08/19/08 09:32 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

excellent...I'll post pics in a few...

Thanks for the link to the downloadable manual.

I was all over the all american site today, and just didn't see a part for this...

Stay tuned...I'll upload a photo of the lid in a couple...but everything else is in tact...

H.H.
:peace:
:heart:
:rockon:

--------------------
First Grow Log
GT&TX DoubleTubs
Malabars and Hawaiians

Keep your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you. --unknown

OfflineHattori Hanzo
Are You Experienced?
Male User Gallery

#8798664 - 08/19/08 09:57 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

those instructions are for a pc/canner...
I believe I have a sterilizer.

Here is the part I think I need...
https://store.wafco.com/ezMerchant/products.nsf/ItemMasterLookup/p70?OpenDocument

Not sure if I need one of these or not, as I think it is just open or closed...
https://store.wafco.com/ezMerchant/products.nsf/ItemMasterLookup/p58?OpenDocument

Looks like that thing releases pressure at 23lbs.

Not my lid, but looks just like it...
https://store.wafco.com/ezMerchant/products.nsf/ItemMasterLookup/p44/$FILE/1941XCWg.jpg

thanks for the fantastic links!!! Just what I couldn't find earlier today.

H.H.

--------------------
First Grow Log
GT&TX DoubleTubs
Malabars and Hawaiians

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

#8798762 - 08/19/08 10:19 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Check that model number carefully, 921 is a canner not a sterilizer...you put sterilizer parts on a canner and BOOM!....not built for the pressure, especially dangerous if you're replacing the safety release valve.

Again check those numbers carefully

Take care

Peter

--------------------

OfflineHattori Hanzo
Are You Experienced?
Male User Gallery

#8799708 - 08/20/08 05:22 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

actually the sticker is peeled off just where I can't read the entire model number but I can read 921.

Here are pics of the top...

what should happen at 15lbs..should steam start escaping from somewhere?
Thanks again!
H.H.

--------------------
First Grow Log
GT&TX DoubleTubs
Malabars and Hawaiians

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

#8799817 - 08/20/08 06:54 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

We need an AA user to chime in at this point, I use Presto. I know at 18 the safety valve should start venting, but I know that from reading what's online not personal experience.

other than cleaning out the vents I don't know what to suggest.

If you do want to change parts you need a good ID on model, canner or sterilizer....what does the gauge read to? marked in red past 15 psi , or has a green line marking where it is sterile at 18 psi or what?

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8799983 - 08/20/08 08:11 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

You're supposed to leave the toggle open for the first five to ten minutes that steam is building to allow it to escape.  After that, close the toggle and when pressure reaches around 15 psi, use your stove burner control to maintain the correct pressure.  Try to keep it in the 13 to 18 psi range.  Sterilizers don't automatically regulate pressure the way pressure cookers do.

There's a safety blowout plug that opens at around 20+ psi depending on model.  Only use 3/4" to 1" of water and it will heat up much faster.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblethemange
Senior Citizen
Male

#8799988 - 08/20/08 08:13 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I have the same PC

you need to regulate the pressure by pressing that pressure release valve. it's not like a rocker where it regulates itself.

when it gets to 15psi, turn the stove down so that it holds at 15. if it goes more than 1 or 2 over 15, you need to gently push down that lever to release a little of the pressure.

make sure the gauge sits at 0 when its not in use. if it's at anything but 0 it could be faulty and you could get hurt.

Personally, this PC setup is my favorite because it gives you perfect control over the pressure and you don't have to worry about all the water evaporating and your spawn getting burned.
once you get to know your PC, you can bring it to 15psi and hold it there without ever  releasing any of the pressure, and just adjusting the stove.

just mess around with it while its empty before you put anything in it. make sure you get a feel for how fast the pressure builds, and find out what temps on your stove = what psi it will stabilize at.

Edited by themange (08/20/08 08:14 AM)

Invisiblethemange
Senior Citizen
Male

Re: Newly Acquired All American 921...help?! [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8799995 - 08/20/08 08:16 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

There's a safety blowout plug that opens at around 20+ psi depending on model.

have you ever seen that plug go? ive always wondered if it pops out at high speeds like a bullet, or if it just kind falls out.

OfflineHattori Hanzo
Are You Experienced?
Male User Gallery

Re: Newly Acquired All American 921...help?! [Re: themange]
    #8800093 - 08/20/08 08:49 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you RR!!
Thank you themange!!

That's exactly what I needed to know...I have to regulate the pressure with temperature. Fair enough...

TheMange...you said...
Quote:

if it goes more than 1 or 2 over 15, you need to gently push down that lever to release a little of the pressure.

I assume you mean the stopcock I photographed in my original post...regarding the push down the lever...

To build pressure I have to have the lever in the horizontal position..are you saying that if I press it a little more downward, small amounts of steam will come out?

The reason I ask is there is a Pressure Release Valve on the All American parts site that I do not have on my PC lid. Thus the reason for this post to begin with...I have a nut with a hole in it. I don't see this part on any of the parts for pcs or sterilizer. I simply want to be assured that those safety features work. Look at the pics I've posted...is the nut in my lid supposed to be a pressure release valve?
cause there ain't no button...

The other thing (stopcock) I'm referring to is a Control Valve...

so...which one do I press to release a little bit of pressure.

And I guess I'm scared to do that, kinda like having a hole in a dam...one little hole and the hole lake will come thru it, as it sounds like you are saying that this won't happen...

Thanks ya'll...ya'll are great!

H.H.

--------------------
First Grow Log
GT&TX DoubleTubs
Malabars and Hawaiians

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Newly Acquired All American 921...help?! [Re: themange]
    #8800096 - 08/20/08 08:49 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

The center blows out all at once and then it has to be replaced.  It's important to avoid that happening.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineHattori Hanzo
Are You Experienced?
Male User Gallery

#8800102 - 08/20/08 08:52 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

? RR?

The center of that nut should blow out?

I'm confused...thanks!

--------------------
First Grow Log
GT&TX DoubleTubs
Malabars and Hawaiians

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8800125 - 08/20/08 08:55 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, but only if it gets to a dangerous pressure.  That's the safety blowout plug to protect the whole unit from blowing up.

If it gets above 15 psi, simply reduce the stove and allow it to loose pressure slowly.  I run mine in the 13 psi to 18 psi range which is easy to maintain by simply tweaking the stove setting.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisiblethemange
Senior Citizen
Male

#8800145 - 08/20/08 09:00 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hattori Hanzo said:
? RR?

The center of that nut should blow out?

I'm confused...thanks!

he was answering my question.:D

as far as the stopcock, if its horizontal, and you push down lightly, steam will come out, but as soon as you let off it will stop.

it is kind of sudden and surprising, but dont worry you cant get hurt. do it with a long spoon the first time if your worried about the steam burning you

you can also flip it up so it is completley vertical. this will open the stopcock and it will RAPIDLY release the pressure, this isnt reccomended once you have built up the pressure. like RR said, leave it up in the beginning for 5 minutes so the heat builds. then flip it down and let the pressure build.

OfflineHattori Hanzo
Are You Experienced?
Male User Gallery

#8800154 - 08/20/08 09:02 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

excellent...thanks RR!!! I'm honored to have you responding to my inquiries!! :bowdown:

but have one more question..

if I where to replace that nut/blowout plug/control valve...(because I still don't know what exactly to call it)...can anyone tell me what to replace it with???

Thanks!
H.H.

--------------------
First Grow Log
GT&TX DoubleTubs
Malabars and Hawaiians

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #8800261 - 08/20/08 09:34 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Is it leaking there right now? If not I would leave it be.

Most sterilizer modesls of AA cookers have 2 toggle valves, one in your spot and another sorta where your blowout plug is. The other one has a flexible vent pipe attached to the bottom which feeds into a channel in the interior liner basket so it cant be blocked no matter what. Your doesnt have all this of coarse.

The toggle valve itself is a safety release, which releases pressure at somewhere in the 23psi range.

If the overpresure plug is giving you trouble, replace it with another toggle valve, part #65 from store.wafco.com if the threads are the same size it kinda hard to tel from the pic but I would bet it is.

You DONT need to be pressing down at all on the toggle valve if it goes 1-2 psi over 15psi this is nonsense. You can run 18psi all day long no problem and I recommend it. You dont ever push on the toggle valve with pressure in the unit at all. If you need to lower the pressure you turn the heat off or down.

To Peterthinks, this crap about putting sterilizer parts in a cooker and BOOM! is a bunch of nonsense phooey. I replace all of my AA weight pipes with a #65 toggle valve on regular cooker models. This is highly advantageous.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Edited by sandman420 (08/20/08 09:37 AM)

OfflineHattori Hanzo
Are You Experienced?
Male User Gallery

Re: Newly Acquired All American 921...help?! [Re: sandman420]
    #8800416 - 08/20/08 10:21 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

no, I don't have any leaking around the spot where modern pc/canners overpressure blowout plug usually go.

I wish ya'll would use the proper name for these things, cause toggle valve kinda helps, but not knowing or being familiar with this type of pc leaves me scratching my head.

Thanks for all your help. I'm not trying to be whiny, but, on my PC, what is that nut called?

So I can replace it with a Pressure Control Valve? so, then I would have two 'toggle valves', er, two pressure control valves...right?

Why wouldn't I want to replace it with a Pressure Release Valve?

Thanks for clearing up that misconception of Peterthinks...that post had me totally paranoid to even use it at all!!!!

Preciate the help!

H.H.

--------------------
First Grow Log
GT&TX DoubleTubs
Malabars and Hawaiians

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom