Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Ayahuasca, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
Sedona area resident travels to Peru in search of psychotropic medicines
    #8799408 - 08/20/08 04:11 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

August 18 2008 - sedona.biz
By John David Balla

Sedona area resident travels to Peru in search of psychotropic medicines
Never seen before footage and an insight look into the enchanted world of psychotropic ritual and magic as performed by San Pedro shamans Edward and Otorongo, in Pisac, Peru, August 2-3, 2008.

An Evening with San Pedro
Pisaq. Peru - Less known than its Amazonian counterpart, Ayahuasca, San Pedro (named after St. Peter, who is said to hold the keys to heaven) has been celebrated and ritualized for its medicinal and spiritual properties for over 3,000 years in the high Andes of Peru and Ecuador.

Now, with the blessings of San Pedro shamans Otorongo and Edwardo, who performed the all night ceremony, we show what a San Pedro ceremony is, how it is conducted, and investigate its truths and myths.

As you will see in the film, captions are used liberally to not only explain the context of what is happening, but to also summarize the scientific evidence, conventional myths, as well as anecdotal findings and claims about the psychotropic cactus, yet leaves the viewers to form their own conclusions, and short of that, to gain a new appreciation for compelling spiritual practices that fall outside conventional belief.

As an individual with a history of alcoholism, at least as it is understood in conventional and clinical terms, I was curious to see if "a cure," which the plant's advocates claim, has any merit. Bear in mind, however, this was not the primary concern I brought to the ceremony, for I never considered my "handicap" to define who I am. After all, I am yet to meet a diabetic, cancer survivor, heart attack victim, amputee, epileptic, arthritic, hemophiliac, or even a poor golfer, to define themselves by what makes achieving success or well being more difficult. Recall that Michael Jordan was cut from his high-school basketball team, later to become the best basketball player in history, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt became President of the United States despite the extreme stigma of polio.

In this context, we all have one handicap or another, something that doesn't preclude becoming the person we want to be, only making if more difficult. I entered the ceremony in this spirit, to discover the "nocebos" (belief that I can't do this or that because of getting a "raw deal" from some omnipotent, omniscient force), remove victimizing underpinnings, and enter a placebo conscious, one based on intuitive truth, rather than wishful thinking.

Rather than a promotion of San Pedro per se, the film aspires to be an attestation to the placebo effect as put in the context of this writing, and the vital importance of building a community of trust through rituals designed to place no room for judgement and other divisions that promote "right versus wrong" ego-consciousness, culminating in the blossoming of heart consciousness, which indeed, holds the keys to our own personal utopia, and paradoxically obliterates the very notion of self interest.

I for one, have never met a paradox I didn't like, for it is the divine's way of exposing the heretofore mysteries of truth.

(To participate in an authentic San Pedro ceremony, and for complete spiritual and archeological tours of Peru, I highly recommend Luceros Tour. They have extraordinary access to Q'ero elders and can arrange many "off the beaten path" expeditions that few tourists, and even locals, ever see)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline608Bill
Always hoping for the +4.
Male

Loc: Western MA.
Re: Sedona area resident travels to Peru in search of psychotropic medicines [Re: veggie]
    #8800232 - 08/20/08 11:27 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

excellent video, i enjoyed that.

--------------------
"It's like an untamed wilditude of nature erupting in your brainspace."
E. Cuyler

OfflineIrieforester
Head to toe inH2O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: That state seperating fro...
Re: Sedona area resident travels to Peru in search of psychotropic medicines [Re: 608Bill]
    #8800483 - 08/20/08 12:40 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Less known than its Amazonian counterpart, Ayahuasca, San Pedro...

Lesser known? I knew of San Pedro long before I ever heard of ayahuasca.

--------------------
I am still and forever learning

Apollyphelion said:
You can learn A LOT from shitting in the right set and setting!:thumbup:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Ayahuasca, San Pedro

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service