Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineWood
Stranger
Louisiana ID request, several pics
    #8799394 - 08/20/08 04:05 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

First post and what do you know, an I.D. request haha. These were picked last night and since I was unsure what to do with these they have been drying on an opened computer case and with the computer fan blowing on them for about 8-10 hours.

Habitat: Found them growing in a Louisiana pecan orchard that is also used as a cow pasture, not growing directly from dung, but near it. We have found psilocybe cubensis in this particular location before, these particular shrooms were growing in a line a few feet wide and about 20 feet long.

Gills: Cream to tan when fresh, then turned blue/green to blackish after a while; not attached directly to the stem, but close; gills closely spaced.

Stem: Up to 6 inches in length and 1/2" in diameter; tan/ golden, slightly lighter than the cap; fairly smooth when picked, some striation visible with drying; hollow; seemed to slightly bruise a bluish color; ring on the upper part of the stem.

Cap: From 2.5" up to 5" in the largest specimen; tan/golden with brown "nipple" in the center; smooth; slightly convex to nearly flat.

Spore print color: bluish green/gray, the picture is much better at describing it

Bruising: Not much observed, light bluish green if any.

Scent: Sort of a grainy mushroom smell if that makes any sense.

Other information: It has been raining off and on for the past 4 days or so, so a friend and I decided to go hunting in a field we have found cubes in a few months ago. There were mushrooms everywhere there, with one brown species particularly abundant growing directly out of cow dung in clusters up to about 15 or so, with convex caps about 1.5" across, and stems about 3-4" long. I have only ever looked for cubes though, so we ignored those and eventually stumbled upon these growing in one spot. They look pretty similar to the cubes we found last time, but much more mature and bigger. The spore print being a sort of greenish color and them not bruising much threw me off though, the ones we found last time bruised purplish blue fairly quickly, but I thought that might have just been because the others were smaller. The dark greenish/slightly bluish spore print has me concerned that they may be chlorophyllum molybdites, even though the caps were smooth and they don't really match the description. I'm sure someone here will know what they are.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShroomeup
Snipes
 User Gallery

Re: Louisiana ID request, several pics [Re: Wood]
    #8799445 - 08/20/08 04:32 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Chlorophyllum molybdites (green gills). Dont eat them they will give you the mega shits.

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
    #8799472 - 08/20/08 04:54 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

You should learn the traits of Psilocybe cubensis a little better heres a pictorial http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8045055/an/0/page/0

OfflineWood
Stranger
Re: Louisiana ID request, several pics [Re: implee]
    #8800490 - 08/20/08 12:41 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

That's what I was afraid of, them not bruising and having a greenish spore print threw up red flags when I was trying to determine exactly what they were. Thanks for the help, maybe I'll have better luck next time, there are mushrooms all over the place with all the rain we've been having, must have just missed the cubes.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #8800501 - 08/20/08 12:45 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, congrats on one of the finest first posts I've ever seen!

:congrats:

--------------------

OfflineWood
Stranger
Re: Louisiana ID request, several pics [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8805564 - 08/21/08 02:44 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks, we went back again and although we didn't find any cubes what I believe are panaeolus subbalteus were everywhere. The last time when we ended up picking the molybdites we completely ignored literally hundreds of these, but then decided to give them a closer look this time.

Habitat: Same cow pasture/pecan orchard, growing in groups directly from cow dung and nowhere else.

Gills: Most were brownish when we picked them, but have since darkened considerably to almost black, closely spaced, narrowly touching the stem (adnexed?)

Stem: thin for their length, up to about 6 inches long and 1/4" thick. Lines faintly visible running up the stem and sort of twisting back and forth around it; bruises bluish within a few seconds, visible the most at the base; nearly the same color as the cap

Cap: up to about 2" across, convex to an almost bell shape; smooth top, brownish golden, slightly darker in the center in some specimens

Spore print: jet black. Our hands were turning a black/purplish color after handling these. The first paper towels they were spread out of when the caps were still very wet had black spores and purple liquid on them.

Bruising: stem bruises bluish, most pronounced at the base

Scent: I would say mushroomy.

I believe these are pan. subbs, and if not then at least some other active. Can anyone confirm? And if so, approximately how many mid level trips would the ones pictured yield? Thanks for any input.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8805731 - 08/21/08 03:15 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Are you sure they are bluing?

They look kind of like Panaeolus antillarum.

Offlinegandalf579
Mushroom Hunter
Male
    #8805756 - 08/21/08 03:19 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Great I.D. request, very detailed! And welcome to the forums!

OfflineEl Zorro
in heaven
Re: Louisiana ID request, several pics [Re: gandalf579]
    #8805773 - 08/21/08 03:21 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Pan Ants.

I see no bluing either. And the almost white color and shape says Antillarum to me.

OfflineBeege
gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: Louisiana ID request, several pics [Re: El Zorro]
    #8805881 - 08/21/08 03:40 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

pan cyans usually have a bit of brown on the top and they definitely blue quite noticeably. Although when mature the brown on the top usually goes away and the top becomes mostly white.

They do seem to be some kind of pans so the worst that could happen if you ate them is you won't trip =/

--------------------

OfflineWood
Stranger
    #8806085 - 08/21/08 04:25 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I know they darkened bluish after being handled, but that may have just been due to the spores, me wanting to see it, or both haha. I was hoping that with the thin stems, thin cap flesh, and them turning the paper dark purple when they were still wet would also indicate they are active even if I was only seeing the bluing because I wanted to. At least if they do turn out to be an inactive species I'll just get a meal out of them instead of getting sick...

OfflineBeege
gatherer
Male User Gallery

#8806095 - 08/21/08 04:28 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

dark purple?

woah I thought the spores were black??

--------------------

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
    #8806107 - 08/21/08 04:30 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Pan cyan prints are black... all pans except subbs have jet black prints i think

OfflineWood
Stranger
Re: Louisiana ID request, several pics [Re: implee]
    #8806186 - 08/21/08 04:49 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

The spores themselves are jet black, just like ink from a pen...however they were still pretty wet pulling them out of the bags when we returned from the field, and the liquid that came off of them onto the paper was a dark purple. By the time I had spread them out and decided what caps to spore print they had dried enough not to stain the paper with the liquid, and the spore prints turned out black. I'll try to take more pictures of what I was talking about in a few minutes, sorry for the confusion.

OfflineWood
Stranger
    #8806313 - 08/21/08 05:17 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

The brown spots where you can tell a liquid dried were dark purplish last night before they dried up. The plastic bags were pretty rough on them, next time I'm definitely making it a point to get some paper bags. The wet spots were definitely purplish last night though.

OfflineBeege
gatherer
Male User Gallery

#8806324 - 08/21/08 05:20 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

yes plastic = bad for shrooms

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification