Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePigsarefood
mmm...tasty
Male

Loc: Cascadia Flag
so im thinking of becoming a buddhist
    #8799300 - 08/20/08 03:28 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

im seriously lacking in the spiritualistic aspect of my life. Christianity is a definite no, along with other similar religions. Ive been looking into Buddhism, what do you think?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblenorml840
sex toy guru
Male User Gallery

Loc: lost
Re: so im thinking of becoming a buddhist [Re: Pigsarefood]
    #8799829 - 08/20/08 09:01 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

why choose one?  all religions are nothing but signposts pointing to the same thing.  when we argue over the signposts we've totally lost sight of what they're pointing at.  unfortunately christianity has been grossly misinterpreted over the last several centuries so i can see why you want to stay clear of it.  i find little gems from all religions.  i ain't partial to any one.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #8799888 - 08/20/08 09:25 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

what he said ^

I follow the bruce lee philosophy, not just in martial arts.. but for life in general and when it comes to religion.  - Be formless.

I don't "follow" any one particular religion, that does not mean I am not spiritual, or don't have any beliefs. It just means I don't adhere myself to a strict code of do this, don't do that. I am a human.
I follow what seems real and what hits me close to the heart, while leaving myself open-minded and open to change and adaptability.... leave room for evolution. I see beautiful things- ideas, concepts, morales, virtues, etc...  in many religions, and I take bits and pieces from them and implement them into my own personal philosophy which is flexible and never set in stone. 

buddhism, on the surface.. appears to be very noble and 'free', but in reality it has some of the same pitfalls and dogmas of any religion. Buddha never meant for his ideas to be turned into the religion it has become, just as Jesus never meant for a book to be written and people to go insane and wage holy wars across the planet. They were just normal guys, trying to express a VERY SIMPLE message of love your neighbor, love yourself.. and their words got twisted, distorted, misinterpreted and argued over for thousands of years. The truth is in the message itself, not the religion with its rules and rituals and boundaries that surrounds it. Those things don't matter... in fact, they take away from the true message.

Organized religion is a sham, and it separates us from the source of creativity. It creates unnecessary boundaries between us and forms the illusion of separation. We are all HUMANS. There is one source. Almost all religions are just schools of thought trying to explain the same thing. Why get caught up in the explanation or interpretation? Bypass the religion and connect directly to the source for yourself.

You wanted to know what I think, so that's it. Don't waste your time adhering yourself to a single perspective. Life is diverse. Study all religions, see the beauty in many things.. see things for what they are... see things from many angles... don't confine yourself to any one single way of thinking.. be flexible and adaptable. Learn from life itself.. let experience be your teacher. Let love be your guide.

But if I HAD to define my religion, it would probably be called psycho-neotaoist-buddhist-druidic-shamanistic-alienized-shroomism or something.

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Ca...
    #8799926 - 08/20/08 09:42 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Read about it, and see what you think.

The principles at the center of Buddhism make a lot of sense, but you might find a lot of needless beliefs being prescribed to you if you try to follow a particular school of Buddhism.

Look at your library for Buddhism Without Beliefs by Stephen Batchelor.  He describes how Buddhism has become a belief system, an institutionalized religion, despite the Buddha's intent to avoid exactly that.  He identifies the problems inherent in treating a Buddhist lifestyle as a religion, and presents a new vision for living as an agnostic Buddhist without any dogma.  It's a good read.

You can also just read about a lot of religions and make your own lifestyle, that's what I did. There is a lot to learn from religious traditions, but there's no need to devote yourself to institutions or supernatural ideals, IMO.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

#8800089 - 08/20/08 10:47 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Joining a Sangha is good.  Are there any Buddhist centers/monasteries in your area?  Give one a try. :thumbup:

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Offlineusr
Interested.
Male

Loc: United States
Re: so im thinking of becoming a buddhist [Re: Lion]
    #8800372 - 08/20/08 12:06 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I've looked into it before. A lot of Buddhist concept appeal to me quite deeply, but I find others are things I simply do not care for.

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: so im thinking of becoming a buddhist [Re: usr]
    #8800384 - 08/20/08 12:09 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

You have to love them all :crankey:

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: so im thinking of becoming a buddhist [Re: Shroomism]
    #8804166 - 08/21/08 06:10 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
what he said ^

I follow the bruce lee philosophy, not just in martial arts.. but for life in general and when it comes to religion.  - Be formless.

I don't "follow" any one particular religion, that does not mean I am not spiritual, or don't have any beliefs. It just means I don't adhere myself to a strict code of do this, don't do that. I am a human.
I follow what seems real and what hits me close to the heart, while leaving myself open-minded and open to change and adaptability.... leave room for evolution. I see beautiful things- ideas, concepts, morales, virtues, etc...  in many religions, and I take bits and pieces from them and implement them into my own personal philosophy which is flexible and never set in stone. 

buddhism, on the surface.. appears to be very noble and 'free', but in reality it has some of the same pitfalls and dogmas of any religion. Buddha never meant for his ideas to be turned into the religion it has become, just as Jesus never meant for a book to be written and people to go insane and wage holy wars across the planet. They were just normal guys, trying to express a VERY SIMPLE message of love your neighbor, love yourself.. and their words got twisted, distorted, misinterpreted and argued over for thousands of years. The truth is in the message itself, not the religion with its rules and rituals and boundaries that surrounds it. Those things don't matter... in fact, they take away from the true message.

Organized religion is a sham, and it separates us from the source of creativity. It creates unnecessary boundaries between us and forms the illusion of separation. We are all HUMANS. There is one source. Almost all religions are just schools of thought trying to explain the same thing. Why get caught up in the explanation or interpretation? Bypass the religion and connect directly to the source for yourself.

You wanted to know what I think, so that's it. Don't waste your time adhering yourself to a single perspective. Life is diverse. Study all religions, see the beauty in many things.. see things for what they are... see things from many angles... don't confine yourself to any one single way of thinking.. be flexible and adaptable. Learn from life itself.. let experience be your teacher. Let love be your guide.

But if I HAD to define my religion, it would probably be called psycho-neotaoist-buddhist-druidic-shamanistic-alienized-shroomism or something. 

Actually, you are 1/2 correct. The Sangha is actually very nice depending on what temple you ordain in. The only thing stopping me from ordaining is I wouldn't be able to take music or other entertainment arts as seriously as I would want; and not being able to share time with a lovely woman at the rare times I am gifted one. All of these things I do not want to separate from actually create future suffering, which is not conducive to the Buddhist goal. What has gotten distorted are the teachings: mainly the meditation. Whereas the Buddha had one meditation technique (which can be termed "mindfulness"; check "Mindfulness of Breath" translated by Bhikku Bodhi) and multiple meditation objects (e.g.: breath, compassion, emptiness, etc...), the majority of the current Sangha teaches a variety of different meditation techniques which caused the splitting of vipassana (insight) and jhana (concentration) where before they were unified. The forgotten keys to unification of the two is deep relaxation and mastery of attention (energy). By placing too much attention on your object you become restless, and when not enough you become sleepy and dull. Eventually your mind stays with your object automatically, and very subtle (yet expansive) states of mind arise.

You can technically be of any other religion and still be labeled a Buddhist, as long as you understand the Four Noble Truths and adhere to the Eightfold Path, which is a system of developing integrity, wisdom and mindfulness.

I would encourage you to ordain with a teacher you are comfortable with. Some monks take life far too seriously and totally miss the point; which is, as Shroomism insinuated, the cultivation of friendship (love). Ordain in the states if you live there.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being