Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Laminar Flow Hood, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

Hello from Ohio!
    #8798987 - 08/20/08 01:09 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Hello!

Well Ive gone into the gourmet mushroom business selling predominantly blue and pink oysters.  I am not new to shroomery.org but I am keeping my identy anonymous because I dont want trouble from the law.  My real business name is not buckeye oysters, but I am operating in Ohio.

I have had about 2 years experience growing oysters on straw and about 5 years experience in cultivation in general.  I began doing straw logs but then moved to 1.5bu round laundry baskets because they can stack 4 baskets high without tipping over.  Lets me get about 12-14 lbs per stack (about 2x 2 area).  Ive recently ordered a flow hood and equipment from fungiperfect so strain isolation and bigger yields is soon to come.

I would like to go through my whole commercial process.  Hopefully other commercial growers out there can trade experience.  Ive discovered things that I have never read on shroomery before, that I wish I had and saved me a headache of contams, etc..  My process is for those who want to go BIG. 

Ill probably add to this thread as I go along... too much info for one typing session....

Also, lots of thanks out to RogerRabbit and other old folkies that sacrifice their precious time to answer the same questions over and over.  You are all great teachers, God bless!

::Jar preparation::
I use RRs method for preparing rye grain.  I suggest using a fan on medium blowing over top the strainers of grain to speed up the evaporating process.  I usually toss the grain 5x over 5min intervals until outside looks good and dry.  If you use rectangular sieves you only have to toss the grain once then use your fingers to fluff it around once it is cool enough.

If you are doing big batches its a great idea to get a All American pressure cooker.  I have the 14 jar model.

If you are using jars that have had contamination in the past I recommend dunking them and lids thoroughly in isopropyle alcohol and letting dry outside on a wire rack. 

I use 3M micropore tape for filters.  Dont ever use any other tape, it wont hold up.

I pressure cook for 1 1/2 hours and let jars cool down in 70f room.  Important!! dont ever pc your substrate and let it sit in 75f+ room for a few days before inoculation (you know you just spent the past 2 days pcing 100 jars and you want a break before inoculation...)  In my experience even uninnoculated pcd jars will germinate contams if left too hot for too long.  So dont be lazy.

::inoculation::

I use .5cc of either spores or mycellium culture syringe.  I use RRs method of shooting sterile water into fully colonized jar, shaking, and sucking up the mycellium water into syringe to spread.  I have found that shooting more spores/spawn into jars doesnt really speed up the growth and if anything adds more liquid to the jar to slow things down.  Lower injection amounts are safer since there is less liquid to splash around causing possible isolated areas where contams beat out spawn.  Speaking of splashing, dont blast the syringe into the jar.  Be gentle and smooth and shoot all into the same spot to guarantee the spawn is localized and strong enough to beat out contams.

Flame your needle and then quickly push it through the filter before it cools, then wait at least 20 seconds before injecting.  Its best to have 2 syringes going at once so you can one cooling while you are flaming and stabbing with the other. 

In my experience temps over 74f are risky.  If you are racking jars all together like in their original ball jar box bottom you will want to keeps temps just a little lower as the metabolic activity of all the jars together will raise their temps as much as 5 degrees or more.  DO NOT set jars where sunlight can hit them and cause hot spots.  Oyster mycellium is aggressive and will fully colonize in 5-6 days.  Even jars in my fridge have kept growing a little bit.  60f-74f is fine for oyster colonization.

::Pasteurizing Straw::
I used to do the oven top method to boil enough water for a 92qt rubbermaid tub of straw, but having to do 4 batches a day for just 4 bins worth is not efficient for big growing.  (1) 92qt bin is enough straw to fill (2) 1.5bu round laundry baskets.  Now I use a 4'x2'x1' galvanized tank from tractor supply (about $80) that has a steel drain plug.  The tank is placed upon concrete blocks (DONT use bricks, they'll become brittle from the heat) till its about 1ft off the ground with a piece of fencing suspended a few inches off the ground to let air flow underneath.  Fill the tank half full of water and start a fire underneath.  Find a piece of sheet metal/metal siding/etc that wont burn easily as a lid and cut to size.  For the fire it is best to use thinner pieces of wood.  I used to split logs but they dont burn hot and fast enough and will take 4-5 hours to bring to a boil.  Find something like wood pallets (businesses give them away for free) or old wood lathe slats that is thinner, dryer wood.  Build the fire high enough till flames lick the outside up about half way.  It will take about 2-3 hours to bring to boil this way.  Open lid and check every so often and as soon as the top begins to steam heavily start soaking your straw in bins.  1 4x2 galvanized tank can hold over (4) 92qt bins worth of soaked straw.  Once the water has come to boil put the fire our with a hose sufficiently so it will not relight.  Its ok if there are red coals still underneath, they will help keep temp and during winter you will want more coals to keep temp up.

Add straw when tank comes to a FULL boil and cover with lid and some old blankets/tarps/whatever will insulate and soak with water to keep from burning.  Set timer for 15min.  On timer start boiling a full 21qt spaghetti pot of water on the stove inside.  Set timer for 30min.  On timer quickly open lid and pour boiling water evenly around top of tank.  Be careful, this is almost a 2 person job.  A 21qt pot of boiling water is heavy.

Set timer for 30min.  On timer unscrew drain plug with pliers (not fingers!) and use a clean pitchfork to transfer straw to bins with drain holes drilled setting atop milk crates/etc.  Let straw drain and cool for at least 6-8 hours or more if a hot day.

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

Edited by Buckeye Oysters (08/20/08 02:27 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Loc: Out Yonder
Re: Hello from Ohio! [Re: Buckeye Oysters]
    #8799746 - 08/20/08 07:57 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Good Luck in your endeavors.

--------------------

OfflineCulland
Stranger
 User Gallery

#8799752 - 08/20/08 08:04 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Buckeye Oysters said:
Now I use a 4'x2'x1' galvanized tank from tractor supply (about $80) that has a steel drain plug.  The tank is placed upon concrete blocks (DONT use bricks, they'll become brittle from the heat) till its about 1ft off the ground with a piece of fencing suspended a few inches off the ground to let air flow underneath. 

Are you building the fire on top of the fencing?

Cul

Offlineb3jamboree
yes we have no portabellas
Male

Loc: 45th Parallel, MI
Re: Hello from Ohio! [Re: Culland]
    #8799954 - 08/20/08 09:58 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Nice write-up. Ohio eh? I hope not northern Ohio, if it is let me tell you now; stay away from Detroit! That's my market!  Just kidding, how many lbs do you grow a week? Maybe we have to start a cartel.

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

Re: Hello from Ohio! [Re: Culland]
    #8811082 - 08/22/08 02:55 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Culland said:
Quote:

Buckeye Oysters said:
Now I use a 4'x2'x1' galvanized tank from tractor supply (about $80) that has a steel drain plug.  The tank is placed upon concrete blocks (DONT use bricks, they'll become brittle from the heat) till its about 1ft off the ground with a piece of fencing suspended a few inches off the ground to let air flow underneath. 

Are you building the fire on top of the fencing?

Cul

yes, so air will get to the underside

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Mycelium Jedi
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rome, ITALY
    #8814850 - 08/23/08 11:13 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

hello,
welcome!

Fabio

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Laminar Flow Hood, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms