Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Gypsum, Herb Grinder, Peat, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedjflipnautikz
Stranger

1st timer, too many decisions, not enough experience.
    #8798980 - 08/20/08 01:08 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Hey guys, this is my first post and also will be my first time growing mushrooms, and am very excited however there are so many techniques, and different substrates that as a first time i guess its a little overwhelming, so i need a little input from the experience growers.

I think i have come down to how i am going to do it and just need to know if for a first timer its the road to take.

Mostly based on MAGASHs guide.

Cakes OR rye?
This was the first question that i asked myself, although cakes are much easier, i am looking for optimum YIELD so i decided to go with RYE GRAIN.

inoculating
i will be using quart jars, and making an incubation chamber with the popular aquarium heater and two rubbermaid tubs.

sterilization
FIRST my PC doesnt have a grate bottom does it matter?
i iwll let them soak for 24hrs, then simmer and then PC.

Casing material?
Plan on using coco coir with vermiculite
SHould i add any oyster or ph regulating material to this mix?

Fruiting chamber
i will be using perlite and rubbermaid containers, however i was looking into making a FC with the martha stewart closet and a cool mist humidifier LIKE MAGASH but is it worth the extra money or will it be fine using perlite and rubbermaid containers.

I appreciate the time anyone takes to read this post and contribute, it will not go to waste.

I am getting everything ready because i am waiting on my spores to come in. they have been delayed a little but then i am ready. THANKX ALOT!

--------------------
Everything i formulate, devise or fabricate, is a fabrication of my imagination.Please don't take it seriously.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeeker_22
LysergicStormtrooper
Male

Re: 1st timer, too many decisions, not enough experience. [Re: djflipnautikz]
    #8798988 - 08/20/08 01:10 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Go to youtube and search pf tek part 1. Watch all 4. :mushroomgrow:

--------------------
"Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain.  Fire."

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
    #8799030 - 08/20/08 01:24 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

djflipnautikz said:

Cakes OR rye?
This was the first question that i asked myself, although cakes are much easier, i am looking for optimum YIELD so i decided to go with RYE GRAIN.

Nah, I don't think cakes are easier. The hardest part starting out is the waiting game for colonization, cakes take a while. You can do both if you want, go buy some 1/4 pint cake jars since they colonize quicker than 1/2 pinters, they put out 2-3 grams dry a piece usually. Good for taking prints off of or using as spawn.
Work with the rye for sure, it kicks royal ass.

Quote:

sterilization
FIRST my PC doesnt have a grate bottom does it matter?
i iwll let them soak for 24hrs, then simmer and then PC.

I lift the jars off the bottom by putting a quart jar lid or several smaller ones in the bottom of the pc. Some people use towels too.

Quote:

Casing material?
Plan on using coco coir with vermiculite
SHould i add any oyster or ph regulating material to this mix?

Save that coco coir as a bulk sub. It's really more of a bulk substrate than a casing, you can spawn a quart of rye to 4 quarts coir and quadrouple the yield, etc...  Peat moss/ vermiculite is my preffered casing. There's stuff called jiffy mix that is peat/verm (aka 50/50) with lime already added into it for pH, i just toss a pinch of gypsum in to keep it leveled out.

Quote:

Fruiting chamber
i will be using perlite and rubbermaid containers, however i was looking into making a FC with the martha stewart closet and a cool mist humidifier LIKE MAGASH but is it worth the extra money or will it be fine using perlite and rubbermaid containers.

Well, a properly set up martha full of trays is definitely worth the money. You could just try your hand at properly casing things first and once you know you're comfortable with your techniques and have experience spawning rye to that coir of yours, a martha is definitely worth it.  You'll still be fine using perlite and rubbermaide/sterilites just make sure you drill some holes directly above the perlite layer (5 inches from bottom is good spot for holes) and some near the top, and fan the FC daily.

Hope I was of some help, there are many far more experienced ppl on here that can help you out too.

--------------------

Offlinenewmodel
The Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around the 10,000 lakes.
Re: 1st timer, too many decisions, not enough experience. [Re: ray40cal]
    #8799230 - 08/20/08 02:57 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I have helped several people start on this hobby and give advice; some people take it others don't. And one thing I tell many people is to try the first attempt small, such as cakes, because  chances are the first try will be one to learn from. It's just the way it is, you have read and built up the knowledge but have no experience/practice, so when you go into it you are bound to screw up and you should because you will learn a lot.

So my advice is to start out small, so that yo do not over invest a great amount of time into something big to have it be a disappointment. Rather, invest in something small play around with the techniques, it will take less time, you will learn a lot, then take that knowledge and go to the next step. Start with cakes go to RYE or WBS. I have been working with WBS for years and it I love it.

If your PC doesn't have a grate, no worries, mine doesn't either. Take some useless cloth and place it on the bottom *(under the jars) You just want something in between the glass jars and the heated metal. Otherwise the jars will crack.

As for the casing; I could again consider what you will end up using, cakes, WBS, RYE, and then decide. Even though most casing techniques will work all around for whatever you decide to do, I would use some over others depending on if I'm doing cakes or large trays. With that said, I have never been a fan of coir and verm (alone). It's easy, many have tried it with success. I however, have found great success with dirt (pasteurized). It's very easy, very fast, and very effective. I'm sure if there is a write-up but if you want instructions PM me.

And Finally we get to the FRUITING CHAMBER, there is a big difference here, especially with yield. HOWEVER, i say once again think twice before deciding on a certain direction based on yield. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Rubber made containers that act as a fruiting chamber are great, they are easy to setup don;t require to much tinkering or maintenance, and they still produce a good yield. The last one I did was because I had extra material so I quickly threw one together and kind of forgot about it. It still produced 2 oz.+ of dry mushrooms. So that could be something you may want to consider.

The MARTHA however, is my setup now and for the past 2 years: inspired and assisted by HippieChick and MAGASH. I put a lot of time into it because it's a really great indoor environment to cultivate mushrooms. You have plenty of room, control, and creative leeway to do as you wish. You can experiment with multiple strains, and as for room. well you are not talking about 4 tiers of room. I have 4 rubber made trays on each tier. The yield is usually more than I can ever do anything with...which makes friends happy :wink: You can get several pounds if you play around enough and build your skills. I wish you luck in your endevours if you need any help PM me, there are lots of us here.

Peace,

I.T.

--------------------
A man that comes to the door is never quite the same man who went out.

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used

Offlinedjflipnautikz
Stranger

Re: 1st timer, too many decisions, not enough experience. [Re: newmodel]
    #8800546 - 08/20/08 12:57 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks alot for the input guys i have solved some of my indecisions that i had and basically am almost out of questions, and just need to start growing.

Last thing

Quote:

newmodel said:
So my advice is to start out small, so that yo do not over invest a great amount of time into something big to have it be a disappointment. Rather, invest in something small play around with the techniques, it will take less time, you will learn a lot, then take that knowledge and go to the next step. Start with cakes go to RYE or WBS. I have been working with WBS for years and it I love it.

what is the difference in yield between cakes and rye, or wbs?

Do you think i should do cakes and then crumble and case them?
or maybe start with two or 3 rye quarts to see how they turn out?

The reason i turn back to rye is mainly the yield and looks pretty easy to me.

i will be doing everything DOWN TO THE "T". i have seen all tek videos, the easy growing mushroom video and continue to expand my knowledge continually.

I will probably either build a glove box or sterilize the crapola out of my bathroom to minimize any mess-ups.

I really want to start off on the right foot so i dont have to learn from mistakes, just learn from experience.

Thanks again guys, awesome support i love this place!

--------------------
Everything i formulate, devise or fabricate, is a fabrication of my imagination.Please don't take it seriously.

Offlinerobanero
β Lib
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in Tx
    #8800798 - 08/20/08 02:16 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I don't see why you couldn't do both to see the difference in yield for your self. It's a good way to start. if you get contains in either your grain or your cakes just throw them out and stat over. You probably won't get contames in both. Happy growing and keep us posted.

:peace:
Roban

--------------------

310 open cap Hawaiians grown a 1 pint WBSF cake.

SPAWN RATIO CALCULATOR

My Little Hawaiians

Spawn Bag Tek

Offlinedjflipnautikz
Stranger

Re: 1st timer, too many decisions, not enough experience. [Re: robanero]
    #8800871 - 08/20/08 02:35 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

robanero said:
I don't see why you couldn't do both to see the difference in yield for your self. It's a good way to start. if you get contains in either your grain or your cakes just throw them out and stat over. You probably won't get contames in both. Happy growing and keep us posted.

:peace:
Roban

Thanks alot i probbaly will do that so i can choose for my self.

But WOW if i get cakes like yours who cares about rye........omg..

i actually ordered Hawaiians too from spores101. are those the same???

did you do anything different to get the much? thank tho for the help

****ANOTHER QUESTION****  when i case i see the HPOO will also increase yield and potency? with also the 50/50 mix.

so i think in the end i am going to do maybe like 6 cakes and 6 rye.

i will get one cake to crumble and case just to see, and the rest case. i am going to research more about the poo and casing material because i have time for that.

--------------------

Edited by djflipnautikz (08/20/08 04:41 PM)

Offlinerobanero
β Lib
Male User Gallery

#8801488 - 08/20/08 05:30 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I use WBS instead of BR. I think it makes a difference. If you have rye grind it in a bullet or coffee grinder and use it instead of BRF. Don't expect the kind of yield you see on my cakes but expect maybe a little better than most.

I buy my spores from a non-vendor. They have been good to me and some others here so I am loyal to them.

--------------------

SPAWN RATIO CALCULATOR

My Little Hawaiians

Spawn Bag Tek

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Mountains of Multnomah Flag
Re: 1st timer, too many decisions, not enough experience. [Re: robanero]
    #8801625 - 08/20/08 06:03 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

That's my problem.  People tell everyone 'the search feature' (fortunately I have avoided being told this), but that just gives you hundreds of  question posts and a couple of decent posts, but nothing solid to base any designs off.

Offlinenewmodel
The Observer
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st timer, too many decisions, not enough experience. [Re: Maverick]
    #8801981 - 08/20/08 07:30 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

While robanero has a very impressive yield (5 shrooms for you). The statement,
"But WOW if i get cakes like yours who cares about rye........omg..,"

still does not hold up if you are going for yield based on using WBS or RYE in combination with horse poo. If you are going for cakes alone, that is fantastic and go for it. But if you are planning a MARTHA or some kind of BULK TUB grow you will, or should, use horse POO and that will increase you yield (based on how much you use and how much you use). It will also produce larger mushrooms and more flushes.

As for spore vendors, I use RALPHSTERS, never had a problem with them, consistent, and will give you free syringes. The only down fall is you have to send cash.

Ohh and doing cakes and rye is a great idea....if you've done the research go ahead and play around. I was stressing that instead of putting all your chips in the bag put a few in....and this is even a better way of doing that. Have multiple small experiments.

Good luck,

PEace,

I.T

--------------------

Offlinerobanero
β Lib
Male User Gallery

#8802799 - 08/20/08 10:45 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

newmodel said:

still does not hold up if you are going for yield based on using WBS or RYE in combination with horse poo. If you are going for cakes alone, that is fantastic and go for it. But if you are planning a MARTHA or some kind of BULK TUB grow you will, or should, use horse POO and that will increase you yield (based on how much you use and how much you use). It will also produce larger mushrooms and more flushes.

As for spore vendors, I use RALPHSTERS, never had a problem with them, consistent, and will give you free syringes. The only down fall is you have to send cash.

Ohh and doing cakes and rye is a great idea....if you've done the research go ahead and play around. I was stressing that instead of putting all your chips in the bag put a few in....and this is even a better way of doing that. Have multiple small experiments.

Good luck,

PEace,

I.T

Exactly. If you want bigger and more fruit go bulk With hpoo or even coir, or a mixture.

--------------------

SPAWN RATIO CALCULATOR

My Little Hawaiians

Spawn Bag Tek

Offlinedjflipnautikz
Stranger

#8803031 - 08/20/08 11:34 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

newmodel said:

still does not hold up if you are going for yield based on using WBS or RYE in combination with horse poo.

sorry i just got excited at the picture and fruiting....it was pretty impressive and i just said what came to mind...i know if it was that easy everyone would be the same....didn't mean to give the wrong impression....

thanks alot yous guys really helped alot and i am basically set. i will be doing a little more research on using hpoo will be doing a combination of cakes, cakes crumbled and cased and some rye. since i don't have a spare closet i will probably buy a Martha closet, its doesn't seem like too much and looks like it will help alot and be a good investment down the road anyways.

and newmodel what do you think i should go with your dirt or the hpoo?

thanks alot guys for your help. once i start getting everything i will be starting a grow log to keep everyone up to date. thanks again.

Edited by djflipnautikz (08/20/08 11:38 PM)

Offlinenewmodel
The Observer
Male User Gallery

#8804101 - 08/21/08 05:03 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Well depending on what you decide I was saying mix yous WBS or cakes with the hpoo and case with dirt (if you want). Don't just use dirt ALONE, it will not work nearly as well as hpoo but as a casing it's great.

I.T.

--------------------

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
    #8811955 - 08/22/08 06:08 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Lots of people use straight straw too. It's a bulk substrate I've noticed, that people say does very well even when it's un-cased. I've seen lots of pictures that prove it too. If you decide to use straw, don't confuse it with hay.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Gypsum, Herb Grinder, Peat, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation