Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Medical Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
DEA letter targets medical marijuana [CA]
    #8797388 - 08/19/08 07:17 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

DEA letter targets medical marijuana
August 19, 2008 - edhtelegraph.com

A threat from federal drug officials is forcing El Dorado County’s medical-marijuana clinic to lease a new headquarters.

The Medical Marijuana Caregivers Association of El Dorado County previously leased from a landlord who received written notice recently from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. The notice said the agency had discovered the lease agreement between the caregivers association and the landlord, and warned the arrangement violated federal drug law.

Matt Vaughn, director of the local caregiver association, said budget matters are forcing a move at the same time the DEA letter is, so it could be worse.

“The consequences are minimal for us, but in general, if they did get a DEA letter, it’s going to cost a landlord a good renter,” Vaughn said.

In 2007, the agency began warning landlords, all of them in southern California.

“The goal is advice,” said Special Agent Sarah Pullen. “The Los Angeles field office sent out nearly 200 letters.”

In bold-face type, the letters warned landlords that California’s 10-year-old Compassionate Use Act legalizing use of medical pot did not protect them from federal law criminalizing the providing of space for distributing any drug named on the federal Controlled Substances List.

“Violation of this law is a felony crime, and carries with it a penalty of up to 20 years in prison,” the letters said. “In addition, federal law allows for the seizure of assets, including real property, which have been used in conjunction with the distribution of controlled substances.”

Soon, the notice program expanded to northern California.

“The DEA San Francisco Office sent out approximately 50 letters to property owners,” said Special Agent Casey McEnry..

The DEA does not recognize California’s voter-approved legalization of medical marijuana. Pullen said the DEA is out to shut down all California med-pot dispensaries by any legal means necessary.

“There are hundreds of them in L.A.,” she said. “Our resources are limited. We use them as we can.”

She declined to provide a cost estimate for the letter-writing program.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: DEA letter targets medical marijuana [CA] [Re: veggie]
    #8797440 - 08/19/08 07:28 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I really don't understand what the big deal is...Why do they consider smoking pot sooo bad? I just don't get it, and I have tried to see their side of it.

--------------------

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
We be jammin', mon!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Urban Jungle
Re: DEA letter targets medical marijuana [CA] [Re: MHbound]
    #8797522 - 08/19/08 07:46 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Just keep in mind it has nothing to do with health concerns. Prohibition is a way to control people and to and end-around on The Constitution on such issues as illegal search and seizure.

--------------------

OfflineNasrudin
Stranger
    #8797548 - 08/19/08 07:54 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

veggie said:

“Our resources are limited.

Bull fucking shit.  They receive so much money to carry out their witch hunts.  I just wonder when it will end.

OfflineSolomonTheShaman
I love to travel
Male

Re: DEA letter targets medical marijuana [CA] [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #8797793 - 08/19/08 08:50 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Just keep in mind it has nothing to do with health concerns. Prohibition is a way to control people and to and end-around on The Constitution on such issues as illegal search and seizure.

Amen, brother.    :thumbup:

--------------------
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mohandas Gandhi

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Loc: north eastern kansas
Re: DEA letter targets medical marijuana [CA] [Re: Nasrudin]
    #8798339 - 08/19/08 10:52 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Nasrudin said:
Quote:

I just wonder when it will end.

There are only two things that will work to end it. Armed revolt, or... when we quit installing people in positions of power through the ballot who enact and or support such laws. I don't smoke herb but every candidate who receives my vote has to support the end of marijuana prohibition without ambiguity.

Confront candidates on this matter in public venues, and don't look like scum-bag hippie while doing it... leave the corduroy at home. Make it clear that regardless of their stand on other issues, an antiquated approach to marijuana prohibition is a deal breaker..... Fanaticism isn't such a bad thing, look at what the republican party has accomplished with the abortion issue.

--------------------
www.morelhunters.com

OfflineAshDash
Stoner
Male

Loc: An Interracial World
    #8798340 - 08/19/08 10:52 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

So basically the Federal Government is outright opposing the people. California as a state recognizes it as a medical drug but our Federal Government says it is an illicit street drug. Wow we are as good as a communistic society just with the illusion of freedom. The only way this will ever change is if we begin to exercise our rights like Freedom of speech. But keep in mind if you do your government may also use force. I think our best bet is a new president,  in my personal opinion not to offend anyone but it seems like Republicans in general tend to press issues such as drug wars and tend to be somewhat of warmongers.

--------------------
Hate hurts everyone. Just like throwing a pebble into water hate will have a ripple effect. All you need is love(The Beatles).

Offlinecake is a lie
pwner with a bwner
Male

Loc: Mn
    #8798421 - 08/19/08 11:06 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

doesnt the federal government telling california that it does not reconize the law and will prossecute people for medical weed violate state soverinty?

--------------------
The Voice: It is the Broodwich, forged in darkness from wheat harvested in Hell's half-acre, baked by Beelzebub, slathered with mayonnaise beaten from the evil eggs of dark chicken forced into sauce by the hands of a one-eyed madman, cheese boiled from the rancid teat of a fanged cow, layered with six-hundred and sixty-six separate meats from an animal which has maggots for blood!

Frylock: [long pause] See... told ya.

Master Shake: I tasted mustard.

The Voice: Yeah... DIJON mustard!

Edited by cake is a lie (08/19/08 11:07 PM)

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: DEA letter targets medical marijuana [CA] [Re: cake is a lie]
    #8803381 - 08/21/08 12:38 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

No, Federal law supercedes state law.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: DEA letter targets medical marijuana [CA] [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #8804167 - 08/21/08 06:13 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

> No, Federal law supercedes state law.

Quote:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

What part of the US Constitution gives congress the right to decide what I can or cannot put into my own body?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Medical Cannabis Seeds

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service