Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store CBD Compare   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
I want to get into school
    #8797154 - 08/19/08 04:31 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I'm 20, have no work related skills whatsoever(employers don't count thievery and drug dealing to be skillful :shrug:), so i can't find a job anywhere(mcdonald's won't even hire me) and i have been trying to get a job for 2 years straight. life for me right now is just dull, i just can't seem to pull myself out of this for some reason.

so..i'm looking to the alternative, schooling, which i have been interested in since i got my GED when i was 18 but i really don't know what i want to go to school for and i don't want to end up wasting money and time. i'm interested in a few courses but my family keeps telling me that i am dreaming and i will never become any of the things that interest me.

i have interest in:
computers(hell i wouldn't mind working for geek squad or firedog)
video games
biology(specifically marine biology)
anything to do with gardening, plants, whatever
archeology
astronomy
ancient history

i'm just so lost in my plans for the future, i want to do something i just can't pick one thing and stick with it, and my family feels as though all of my interests are useless and the only things i should study in school are either law or medical and i keep telling them i passionately hate both of those and would much rather do nothing than to study either of those.

anyway i'm looking for some input on what it will take me to study any of the things i am interested in or possibly more suggestions of what i could do.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

Edited by highdroponics (08/19/08 04:33 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: I want to get into school [Re: highdroponics]
    #8797186 - 08/19/08 04:37 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

If there is a University or Community College near you, I'd recommend meeting with an advisor to take a career inventory exam.  These exams typically ask you questions about activities you particularly like, skills you've used in those activities, accomplishments in all areas of your life, and so on.  Once the advisor tallies up your scores, you'll be able to see the general career areas in which your interests/skills would be best utilized.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8797763 - 08/19/08 06:42 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Get into general arts and sciences in a community college and take whatever courses seem interesting. That'll give you a sense of which field is best for you and you can narrow it down later. You'll eventually be able to transfer to a university and use those credits towards whichever degree you want.

InvisibleJack yo Self foo
The Artful Dodger
 User Gallery

Loc: Where the red fern grows....
Re: I want to get into school [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #8798002 - 08/19/08 07:45 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

agreed...CC is a good start..its cheap and you can get a better feel for what you want out of life...

i myself didn't go to college till i was 23...graduated from the streets first too...

your still young, and you have figured out that you need to make a change...you're on your way....

--------------------
You learn something new everyday, so be sure you learn something from it.

Offlinesunflower
We're here....
Female User Gallery

#8799663 - 08/20/08 04:47 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Get going with the community college thing.  I don't know where you are at, but your school semester should be getting ready to start.  Go in and talk to the financial aid people as well. 

I went back and got my degree when I was 25. (I went a year right out of high school, then quit).  I think older students tend to be more dedicated and hard working than kids right out of high school. I know I cared much more about what I was doing.

In four years, you will be four years older no matter what....you could also be four years older and have a  degree.

--------------------

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
Re: I want to get into school [Re: sunflower]
    #8802043 - 08/20/08 05:47 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

thank you for all of your advice everyone, i'm headed up to check out a couple schools tomorrow.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store CBD Compare   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being