Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

worried about my rye jars
    #8796768 - 08/19/08 05:34 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Hey guys, i just finished making 18 quart and 4 pint jars of rye berries... took me most of the day and night sunday and now i am worried it wont work...

i let the rye sit in half water and coffee for almost 36-40 hours, i then boiled the water for 10 or 15 minutes and then used the colander to dry them took forever but got it done... it did take a long time to dry them which is what i am worried about now contams. should i be worried about contams cause it took a long time or is that why we pressure cook the jars once we load them up and seal them right?

i pc'ed them at 15 psi for 120 minutes...

then last night when i got home late at midnight mind you the jars sat in the pc all that time so i think they were safe but when i inoculated them with mycelium i had a ton of mycelium this time so i went ahead and knocked them up once and had enough to do a second time so i went ahead and did it... was that a bad idea??? cause i wasnt the cleanest i have been in the past... i used rubbing alcohol and oust so i think i am good just wondering instead of waiting a week

also, i have the jars inside a white styrofoam cooler in a room that is not air conditioned will that be good enough for incubation?? i wanna say its between 70 to 80 degrees in the room? i know i have to take them out at some time for air exchange but just wondering your thoughts.... thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleseven
Male

Loc: north carolina
Re: worried about my rye jars [Re: tony8404]
    #8797039 - 08/19/08 06:13 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

you dont have to incubate . colonization out on a shelf in that room would be fine. room temps are great for colonization. id take em out of the tub. the filters on the jars provide gas exchange not air exchange that can be confused with FAE during fruiting.  your process for grain sounds good. did you rinse the grain wel

--------------------
grind

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: worried about my rye jars [Re: seven]
    #8797312 - 08/19/08 07:01 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

You soak the grains before PC'ing in order to give bacterial endospores within the grains a chance to germinate so they can be killed when you sterilize the jars. Letting the rye sit out shouldn't be a concern if you pressure cooked the jars correctly.

You also don't need air exchange for incubation - you need gas exchange, which is a different animal. As long as you have a filter of some sort and holes in the lid your jars should be fine.

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: worried about my rye jars [Re: Brennus]
    #8798979 - 08/20/08 01:08 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

when you said did i rinse the grain well... do you mean before i soaked or after i soaked???

Offlinenez
Stranger

#8799236 - 08/20/08 03:00 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tony8404 said:
i let the rye sit in half water and coffee for almost 36-40 hours,

Suggested soak time seems to be 24 hours.

Quote:

used the colander to dry them took forever but got it done... it did take a long time to dry them which is what i am worried about now contams.

Did you get this from a tek? Of the rye teks I've read, no one ever suggested letting the rye sit in the colander after boiling until it dried. I strained the rye in my colander for a few minutes then put them in the jars. If the grains are too dry, that could be your problem.

Quote:

should i be worried about contams cause it took a long time or is that why we pressure cook the jars once we load them up and seal them right?

i pc'ed them at 15 psi for 120 minutes...

I'm pretty sure that was more than enough to sterilize the jars.

Quote:

also, i have the jars inside a white styrofoam cooler in a room that is not air conditioned will that be good enough for incubation?? i wanna say its between 70 to 80 degrees in the room? i know i have to take them out at some time for air exchange but just wondering your thoughts.... thanks

Incubators aren't required unless you live in the polar regions and they are known for slowing down mycelium growth. Read the teks and threads for rye grains, you will find a lot of useful information.

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: worried about my rye jars [Re: nez]
    #8800097 - 08/20/08 10:49 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

no i meant straining the grain in a colander my fault. after you strain do you place the grain in the jars if there just a tad moisture still on them?  i bet that is why my rye looks dryed out after i pc them then.... cause i put them in the jars and they just pretty much rolled off my hand when i would grab  a handfull and tip the hand to see if they stick but they did not anymore.  i think i used a bit much coffee this time cause some grain was very sticky i had to rinse them off with water cause i thought they would mess my jars up.

Invisibleseven
Male

Loc: north carolina
    #8800433 - 08/20/08 12:26 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

dude look up RR'S rye tek. its perfect. all questions on your rye grain will be answered. moisture, soaking, and rinsing.

--------------------
grind

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation