Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Hops
    #870630 - 09/08/02 09:23 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I have recently acquired a large amount of hops, and I have been expermenting with this interesting plant (Which is closely related to marijauana). I have experimented with making a hash out of the crystals. My main interest though, is growth. Does anybody have any experience growing this, or using it as a psychoactive herb.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Hops [Re: Remy]
    #870645 - 09/08/02 09:28 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Don't they make beer out of Hops?

OfflineIts Pat
Still kicking
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU
Re: Hops [Re: Gumby]
    #870663 - 09/08/02 09:42 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Hops are used to bitter a beer up you could say. But you don't MAKE beer outta hops!

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

Edited by Its Pat (09/08/02 09:43 PM)

Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
Loc: Europe
Re: Hops [Re: Its Pat]
    #871666 - 09/09/02 10:55 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I tried grow some of 'em a while ago, never sprouted :frown: guess they were bad seeds. I wanted to do a graft of cannbis/hops..

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #875695 - 09/10/02 07:34 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting that you should bring up hops.  Years ago, a friend of mine's crazy father (whose main hobby was organic farming), told me about grafting marijuana with hops.  He stated that you could take the root stock of the marijuana plant and graft hops on top of it.  The resultant flowers from the hops would supposedly contain THC equivalent to the original marijuana plant.

Complete bullshit I'm sure, but it was interesting to hear the story at the time...  :grin: 

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
Re: Hops [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #876331 - 09/11/02 02:14 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Well, of what I readn the grafting is THEORITICALY possible, only prob could be the survival/growth of the result plants, the root system could not be important enough to support the hop's growth... But then again, I haven't seen any Cannabis/hop plant anywhere...

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #877251 - 09/11/02 08:03 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Hops can be effectively grafted to Cannabis. However, the only official scientific study performed showed that only the Cannabis portions of the graft produced cannibinoids. It would be quite an interesting experiment anyways, as many have claimed that grafting produces very psychoactive flowers/cones. I recently produced a hops "hashish" in the same method one would go about making it from cannabis, and it definetely produces effects, and is synergistic with pot.

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #878406 - 09/11/02 02:59 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I realize that it is indeed possible to graft hops onto cannabis.  I felt the bullshit lay in the part concerning THC production in the hops flowers.. :wink: 

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
    #879655 - 09/12/02 03:03 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Hum.. this has giving me the idea of trying hops again.. first of all to see the effects of hops itself, and giva another try of grafting cannabis/hops..

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

OfflineSuby
Deadly ViperAssassinationSquad
 User Gallery

Loc: I'm over here now.
    #880323 - 09/12/02 10:15 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Been a long time homebrewer so know a little about Hops. Lots of varieties out there. Can pick em up for $1.00-1.50 a Z at any Homebrew supply shop. I like Cascade (think-Sierra Nevada) for brewing. If you looking to try Hops, might go for ones with really high Alpha Acid (lupilin content)
A neighbor friend has been growing 'em plants for years. more of a vine, fairly easy to grow though. Root cuttings the way to go if ya lookin' to grow em.
humm... Remy's right about the grafting. Kinda like getting apples from a pear tree with a apple tree root. doesn't happen.

still reading?
HOPS -- _Humulus lupulus._ Family Cannabinaceae.
Material: Flaky-textured and pleasantly bitter fruiting parts of
perennial vine used as a flavoring in beer brewing.
Usage: May be smoked like marijuana, extracted into alcohol or
steeped in water (1 oz./pt.).
Active Constituents: Lupuline (a resinous powder chemically
related to THC).
Effects: Sedative: When smoked gives mild marijuana-like high
with sedative qualities.
Contraindications: Excessive use over a long period may cause
dizziness, mental stupor, and mild jaundice symptoms in some
individuals.

--------------------
"Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff."
Steven Wright.

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

"I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets."

Anonymous

#908714 - 09/25/02 11:38 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I've grown hops. I purchased root cutting via the internet. They generally don't grow well on the east coast because of the high humidity causing them to be suseptible to downey mildew - the major hop growing regions in the U.S. are in Oregon and Washington. Do a search on the internet and look at the characteristics of the different varieties, find one that is resistant to the aformentioned stuff. They require a rich loamy soil (most commercial growers work the soil every year with compost), they like a lot of water but the soil should drain well. They like full sun and need something to climb on, commercial growers have ropes going up about 30 feet for the hops to climb on.

Here are some links:
General Info

University of Vermont - has some info and experience growing in the Eastern U.S.

Growing Hops in The Home Garden

Hop Variety Handbook

Info on varieties

Yakima Chief, more varietal info

Freshhops.com, a source of cuttings - also has info on varieties

Brewers Den, has info on varieties and sells cuttings

Edited by Evolving (09/25/02 11:41 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds