Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelinx88
Seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Help! Newb to the Hunt! - North Texas
    #8796382 - 08/19/08 04:25 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I know this isn't a lot of data but while driving back from a trip to Target i noticed ALOT of wild mushrooms growing on the side of the rode near the store and on the roads all the way to my house and in my neighborhood. I took a some pics of the ones in my yard and maybe you can tell me what they are. They aren't very big.

The first two pics were of a shroom out in a flowerbed of sorts.

The third one was found in my backyard just chillin

A lot of bigger mushrooms I saw were out near the road, gold course and next to target so i'll wait til lit gets dark (and after the rain passes) to go snag'em. They were white and looked like they had little bumps on them from what I could tell.

Should I wear gloves? put them in separate bags? It'll be dark so i'll have to bring them back to my house to get pics of them for you guys...

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblekoraks
Re: Help! Newb to the Hunt! - North Texas [Re: linx88]
    #8796472 - 08/19/08 04:39 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

The one in the flowerbed is leucocoprinus birnbaumii. The other one is probably agaricus, I suspect one of the poisonous species by the look of it, although that is not necessarily true. Was there any kind of bruising or a particular smell to that specimen?

Offlinelinx88
Seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: Help! Newb to the Hunt! - North Texas [Re: koraks]
    #8796498 - 08/19/08 04:42 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
The one in the flowerbed is leucocoprinus birnbaumii. The other one is probably agaricus, I suspect one of the poisonous species by the look of it, although that is not necessarily true. Was there any kind of bruising or a particular smell to that specimen?

I didn't sniff it but as soon as it stops raining I'll get on it...and as for bruising i didn't notice any. I've never really done shroom hunting before so i didnt want to touch it and fuck it up somehow or have it burn my fingers off or something :shocked:

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Help! Newb to the Hunt! - North Texas [Re: linx88]
    #8796530 - 08/19/08 04:48 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Don't fear burning off your fingers: you won't. Neither is it very likely that you'll get any noticeable poisoning that way, just don't tempt fate and stick your fingers in your mouth after fondling mushrooms. They're unlike pussy. Sorry, got carried away there. With agaricus, bruising and smell are good indicators to roughly which species you are dealing with. Unpleasant, petroleum-like smells and yellow bruising in the base (cut the mushroom in half vertically and bruise the inside of the base of the stem) are indicators of poisonous species, while red(dish) bruising and pleasant, mushroomy smells generally point towards edible species. Don't rely too much on this though; such general guidelines never replace a positive ID on other aspects with mushroom hunting.

Keep on at it!

Offlineloleilii
STr8 TrippN

#8796544 - 08/19/08 04:49 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

chlorphormium moldybite(sp) is #3,

--------------------

Offlinelinx88
Seeker
Male User Gallery

#8796566 - 08/19/08 04:53 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Haha, ya i don't think i'd eat either one of them and unless you shroom hunter pros could give me some relative positive re-enforcement that what I had was some trippy shrooms. And by positive it'd probably have to be the cubes cause I've seen hundreds of photos of them on here and I feel comfortable with being able to identify them but for practice and good measure i'll check about that little guy in the back yard just to get used to the process...

But any idea what those big white ones with the bumps speckled on top could be? I'll get pics of them later for sure but i was just wondering if it sounded like anything in particular by my weak description :undecided:

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Help! Newb to the Hunt! - North Texas [Re: loleilii]
    #8796571 - 08/19/08 04:54 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Possibly, but I doubt it. It looks a bit too smooth for green gills.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification