Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDJ.kultking
Amature Entheobotanist
Male

Loc: Northern Nevada
Hermetic Gnostisism
    #8795746 - 08/19/08 02:37 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I'm currently studying the Hermetica Corpus in my studies into Gnosticism. and i was wondering if anyone knows the similarity of Hermes meeting Poimandres and his story of genesis with the story of Genesis in the Bible.

--------------------
Travel to the depths of inner space and discover the other...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisible513orangejuice
Female

Re: Hermetic Gnostisism [Re: DJ.kultking]
    #8797928 - 08/19/08 09:28 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

have you ever read the three initiates book? they make hermes trismegistrus out to be a student of moses, so if he were,like they say, i bet chu its pretty likely he woulda heard the story once er twice

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------

America is a rapist.

Offlinewhatiamidoing
Stranger

Re: Hermetic Gnostisism [Re: 513orangejuice]
    #8797988 - 08/19/08 09:42 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

ahhh...the Great Work...

Good luck with that :thumbup:

Offlineastronaut
ascetic aesthetic
Male

Re: Hermetic Gnostisism [Re: whatiamidoing]
    #8798349 - 08/19/08 10:53 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not too well read on the subject, but I'd point you towards Francis Yate's "Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition".

--------------------
In another Time's Forgotten Space, your Eyes looked through your Mother's Face:
Wildflower Seed on the Sand and Stone, may the Four Winds blow you Safely Home!

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Hermetic Gnostisism [Re: astronaut]
    #8798557 - 08/19/08 11:33 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

astronaut said:
I'm not too well read on the subject, but I'd point you towards Francis Yate's "Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition".

Hey, I just finished that some weeks ago!

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#8798576 - 08/19/08 11:37 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Hermes Trismegistus is pretty much a composite character of late antiquity. The claims to his historicity and early history, as a contemporary of Moses for example, were all fabrications. Odd people like myself, and apparently yourself, are in a distinctly strange minority of human beings who even know the name of Hermes Thrice Great.

--------------------

OfflineDiaboleros
Devil's spawn

#8799776 - 08/20/08 08:21 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

513orangejuice said:
have you ever read the three initiates book? they make hermes trismegistrus out to be a student of moses, so if he were,like they say, i bet chu its pretty likely he woulda heard the story once er twice

Yeah... http://www.kybalion.org/kybalion.asp, best philosophical work I've read so far.

InvisibleLakefingers

Loc: mumuland
Re: Hermetic Gnostisism [Re: Diaboleros]
    #8800803 - 08/20/08 02:18 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

interesting, but do you understand it?

Invisible513orangejuice
Female

Re: Hermetic Gnostisism [Re: Lakefingers]
    #8802394 - 08/20/08 09:09 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

man, I would love any generous insight inta this book, especially about the practical application/explantion of using one pole to reach another? like, the koran says that the end is the most important thing in anything, buddism/taoism/zen says there is no end because there is an end and there is an end solely because there is no end(yang gives birth to yin and yin gives birth to yang, like negitive and positive), i find the thoery identical to something Lao ztu said which was something along the lines of "if you want to great, you must be humble first", like, if you wanna be happy, you should be as sad as possible, or if you want to be given lots of riches, give all your money away, you know what i mean,... is that what it meant?

--------------------

America is a rapist.

Invisible513orangejuice
Female

#8803147 - 08/20/08 11:55 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Hello? does anybody know what im talking about? HellO? anybody out there?.....            .            .            .

(hears his own echo)

--------------------

America is a rapist.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#8807603 - 08/21/08 09:36 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

513orangejuice said:
Hello? does anybody know what im talking about? HellO? anybody out there?.....            .            .            .

(hears his own echo)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kybalion

This book is apparently a sort of Theosophical treatise, and if the owner of the publication company wrote it, with or without Paul Foster Case, then it is firstly, NOT an ancient work attributed to Hermes, and secondly, part of the occult revival at the turn of the 19th century. It struck me as Theosophical - the bit I looked at. There are lots of similar works that were not given mysterious authors or exotic names by writers like C.W. Leadbeater, A.E. Waite, Annie Besant, Madam Blavatsky, McGregor Mathers, Eliphas Levi. Much of this (e.g., mental body, etheric body, etc.) derives from classic Yoga, which Swami Vivekananda brought to the USA about that time. Plus, William James's Varieties of Religious Experience came out just a year after R.M. Bucke wrote Cosmic Consciousness in 1901. I think you've tuned into one of a whole genre of occult writings, and the discovery of that era can be very exciting. I, for one,  am still touched by it in a deep way.

--------------------

OfflineDiaboleros
Devil's spawn

#8814694 - 08/23/08 10:23 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Lakefingers said:

Yes... most of it, but I takes time, application and memorization of the 7 principles to fully understand tho, but I understand how they would work and the ones I've already applied work so far. I only recently discovered this book..

The cool thing is that I found it through shrooms. I had this trip, where everything started to vibrate. The shrooms were telling me "Everything vibrates, nothing rests" so I googled for that and I found the Kybalion as the first hit. Funny isn't it... exactly what I was looking for when I was on shrooms, the truth behind reality. Its like shrooms showed me the way.
Quote:

513orangejuice said:
Quote:

man, I would love any generous insight inta this book, especially about the practical application/explantion of using one pole to reach another? like, the koran says that the end is the most important thing in anything, buddism/taoism/zen says there is no end because there is an end and there is an end solely because there is no end(yang gives birth to yin and yin gives birth to yang, like negitive and positive), i find the thoery identical to something Lao ztu said which was something along the lines of "if you want to great, you must be humble first", like, if you wanna be happy, you should be as sad as possible, or if you want to be given lots of riches, give all your money away, you know what i mean,... is that what it meant?

Not really, this is how I see it... it's about sad and happy being the same thing. Just different poles. They are the same state of mind, just a different vibration. The point is, to change this state of mind, you should concentrate on the other pole, simple put your attention on the other pole to change the vibration to a desirable rate. Through meditation you can practice your attention skill. That's what they mean with cultivate the art of attention.. meditation.

Why do you feel sad? Because you lost some happiness. Instead of grieving about the loss, concentrating on the loss, you can concentrate on the happiness you lost. For example, if someone dies, and you feel sad, instead of concentrating on his death, concentrate on his life. Put your attention on the good memories instead of that one bad memory. Or for example, if your gf cheats on you, breaks up with you, you will feel hate or be hurt. But actually this feeling of hate is the same as the feeling of love. They are the same thing on a different pole. the reason why you feel hate is because of the love.  Instead of concentrating on one end of the pole, you can put your attention on the other end, and the feeling of hate will be transmuted into the feeling of love.

Something like that.. I'm basically just repeating the words in the book really.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology