Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
heating my house with exhaust from my generator.
    #8794563 - 08/19/08 10:42 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

so, im setting up a house to run off of the grid with a air cooled generator for power.

i would like to use the exhaust from this generator to heat my house as well, through a heat exchanger i could plumb into the houses heating system...

anyone know if this is possible? i know that exhaust is like 1200 degrees right out of the engine, but it seems to cool very quickly after it leaves the engine....

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: heating my house with exhaust from my generator. [Re: ZippoZ]
    #8795418 - 08/19/08 01:47 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Interesting idea.

Because of the possibility of gas leak (carbon monoxide) from the exhaust, and because of the rate it cools, I would put the heat exchanger as close to the generator as possible.  Next worry would be back pressure causing problems with the engine.  This shouldn't be a problem as long as you design with it in mind.  You might be able to set something up like with a solar heater, using gravity and density change (due to heat) to circulate the water avoiding the need of a pump.

(I'm assuming that you are heating water and using the water to transfer the heat around...)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: heating my house with exhaust from my generator. [Re: Seuss]
    #8797129 - 08/19/08 06:27 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I know there's a concept of cogeneration (heat and power) and trigeneration (heat, power and cooling) but I think those systems use gas turbines rather than diesel generators.

Anyway it is an interesting idea and it'll certainly save a lot of energy if you pull it off! :thumbup:

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

OfflineNephlyte
Misfortunate One
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: heating my house with exhaust from my generator. [Re: zouden]
    #8806665 - 08/21/08 06:50 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Well, this might be tricky depending on the muffler system in the generator.  Usually these are designed to dissipate heat as fast as possible.  Some heat my still be in the exhaust when its released (since it is burning really hot), but thats not the max heat you could get.

If you have the skill and it seems safe.  Take the muffler system apart on the generator.  Perhaps it would be best to skip this muffler completely and make an new pipe directly to your heat exchanger.  This would allow the most heat to transfer directly to the water in the heat exchanger.

I see no reason why this couldn't work if you want it to.

Now, the question i have is how much extra heat will this deliver to your heat exchanger?  Clearly there will be additional heat, but will it be noticeable?  Keep us posted if you discover the answer to these questions.

--------------------
"To do right is to know what you want. Now when you are dissatisfied with yourself it's because you are after something you don't really want. What objects are you proposing to yourself? Are they the objects you really value? If they are not, you are cheating yourself. I don't meant that if you chose to pursue the objects you most value, you will attain them; of course not. Your experience will tell you that. But success in getting after much labor what you really don't care for is the bitterest and most ridiculous failure." -George Santayana

InvisibleMinstrel
Man of Science
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hogtown
Re: heating my house with exhaust from my generator. [Re: Nephlyte]
    #8808433 - 08/21/08 11:53 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Go for it, man.  I think it's a brilliant idea.

--------------------

InvisibleDoseMeHomie
 User Gallery

Loc: 'merica
    #8808461 - 08/21/08 11:59 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

sounds like a good way to get carbon monoxide poisining

--------------------
The Gospel

OfflineNephlyte
Misfortunate One
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: heating my house with exhaust from my generator. [Re: DoseMeHomie]
    #8814882 - 08/23/08 11:25 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DoseMeHomie said:
sounds like a good way to get carbon monoxide poisining

Well, i don't think the exhaust will have to go into his house.  I don't really know his exact set up though.

--------------------
"To do right is to know what you want. Now when you are dissatisfied with yourself it's because you are after something you don't really want. What objects are you proposing to yourself? Are they the objects you really value? If they are not, you are cheating yourself. I don't meant that if you chose to pursue the objects you most value, you will attain them; of course not. Your experience will tell you that. But success in getting after much labor what you really don't care for is the bitterest and most ridiculous failure." -George Santayana

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Re: heating my house with exhaust from my generator. [Re: Nephlyte]
    #8814955 - 08/23/08 11:48 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

But since CO is odorless, any leak in the heat-pipe system could be bringing it in and he might not notice. I'm sure it can be done, but it's risky.

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#8815519 - 08/23/08 02:30 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

its a diesel engine, while CO is a component of the exhaust, its not all of it, and anyone ever stuck behind a diesel knows damn well that it stinks!

but the concept i think that im going to be working with is going to use a ethylene Glycol solution (antifreeze). ill have one heat exchanger hooked up to the exhaust to collect the heat, and then i will pump it into my house over another exchanger with a fan on it. im hoping that this should help heat part of my basment where i will have my glass blowing shop, and perhaps radiate up through the floor.

ill keep yall updated on the progress.

i still need to find a way to quiet down the generator so it dosent  piss off the neighbors because it is LOUD!

im thinking that i will build a underground pit for it so that while it is running it will be sealed underground, with only an air intake and exhaust above ground.

i also want to have it mounted on some sort of lift so that i can pull it above ground at any time for maintainence or repairs (it weights about 500lbs)

--------------------
PEACE

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #8816361 - 08/23/08 05:24 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

> i still need to find a way to quiet down the generator so it dosent  piss off the neighbors because it is LOUD!

I would start by building a little shed around it first, instead.  Much easier, and probably as effective.  Most of the noise is going to be coming out the exhaust system, I suspect.  Your heat exchanger will help muffle that even more.

Be sure you read up on galvanic corrosion before you start.  Don't mix metal types (copper and aluminum, for example) or your system will rot out from under you.  Water + water wetter is better heat conductor than glycol, though it may not have the antifreeze properties (I never looked into it).  Avoid distilled water as well.

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#8817079 - 08/23/08 07:41 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

watter wetter?

--------------------
PEACE

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#8817477 - 08/23/08 09:22 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

You have neighbours nearby but you can't get grid power? I assumed you were in a rural area.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #8818882 - 08/24/08 06:25 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

> watter wetter?

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp
Quote:

WaterWetter® is a unique wetting agent for cooling systems which reduces coolant temperatures by as much as 30ºF. This liquid product can be used to provide rust and corrosion protection in plain water for racing engines, which provides much better heat transfer properties than glycol-based antifreeze. Or it can be added to new or used antifreeze to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems. Designed for modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze systems. Compatible with all antifreezes, including the latest long-life variations.

The stuff is awesome for water based thermal transfer loops.  I highly recommend it.

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #8818980 - 08/24/08 07:49 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I built a pool heater that ran off of our air conditioner with my dad when I was a kid. It wasn't very efficient, but it did get it a few degrees warmer.

Would you be heating the water, and then running it through pipes under your floor boards?

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#8820250 - 08/24/08 03:38 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

zouden said:
You have neighbours nearby but you can't get grid power? I assumed you were in a rural area.

Well, I can get power, and i do have power to my house, but i want to provide some of  my own power. it provides a few excelent expierements for me to take on

running a diesel 24/7 quietly
running a diesel 24/7 on vegetable oil
Connecting the generator to the grid
heating the house with exhaust.

should be fun.
also, the generator cost me $350
given that that could only be a few months electric bills, it might save me quite a bit of money, if i can indeed run it for free on vegetable oil. Plus the cost of heat is a BITCH out here with natural gas prices being so high, even higher than electric bills in a house. If i can even heat a single room in my house the savings would just pile up.

im thinking i would like to get a wood burning stove too if i could pull it off with the zoning and building codes.

--------------------
PEACE

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#8821030 - 08/24/08 06:39 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Fair enough. Are you going to modify the generator to run on vegetable oil, or modify the vegetable oil to turn it into biodiesel?

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#8824320 - 08/25/08 01:18 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

modify the generator

--------------------
PEACE

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#8825882 - 08/25/08 06:40 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Awesome :thumbup: keep us posted! Take photos of the process! You'll probably get on the front page of Digg, or Slashdot

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology