Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Sublime

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

This post is the shit!
    #8793598 - 08/19/08 01:42 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I find it pretty humorous that the phrase "such and such is the shit" has come to mean it is GOOD, but calling something just plain shit, without the 'the', has a more direct meaning.

I guess that's the evolution of language for ya...the twisting of ideas around words and words around ideas in new ways...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleblewmeanie
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: This post is the shit! [Re: Sleepwalker]
    #8793729 - 08/19/08 02:27 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Define "the"......no dictionary

--------------------

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

Re: This post is the shit! [Re: blewmeanie]
    #8793774 - 08/19/08 02:42 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

blewmeanie said:

Huh? What does that have to do with anything?

...but just for your satisfaction, no I can't define "the" and I don't really want to try. :tongue:

Edited by Sleepwalker (08/19/08 02:47 AM)

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

#8793829 - 08/19/08 03:07 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I think you may have been trying to say something about "the twisting of ideas around words..."? Just because "the" is hard to define doesn't mean it has no ideas or concepts related to it.  How would it be of any use if it didnt?

Invisibleblewmeanie
 User Gallery

#8794309 - 08/19/08 08:38 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Then define it:grin:

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie
 User Gallery

#8794320 - 08/19/08 08:44 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Oweyervishice said:
Quote:

blewmeanie said:

...but just for your satisfaction, no I can't define "the" and I don't really want to try. :tongue:

It is the sole diference between "this post is shit", and "this post is the shit".

--------------------

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

#8797347 - 08/19/08 07:08 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

blewmeanie said:
Quote:

Oweyervishice said:
Quote:

blewmeanie said:

It is the sole diference between "this post is shit", and "this post is the shit".

Well..yeah.  This post probably is shit to many people.  Whether you like it or not, "the shit" is used now as a positive description.  The addition of "the" definitely does change the meaning, whether I can personally define it or not.

Invisibleblewmeanie
 User Gallery

#8797449 - 08/19/08 07:30 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Oweyervishice said:
Quote:

blewmeanie said:
Quote:

Oweyervishice said:
Quote:

blewmeanie said:

Well..yeah.  This post probably is shit to many people.  Whether you like it or not, "the shit" is used now as a positive description.  The addition of "the" definitely does change the meaning, whether I can personally define it or not.

I wasnt calling your post shit, I was addressing the topic that you brought up. The difference in meaning between the two phrases occurs with the addition of the word "the".

Most people do not understand the significance of a word like "the" just like most people dont know what a vowel is aside from being A,E,I,O,U, sometimes Y.

--------------------

OfflineDiddyds
Stranger

#8798922 - 08/20/08 12:54 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

think about this one how can u define a word with another word???
that means that u have put ur own meaning into somthing u have created....its just the way shit happens ya know its not the word that matters but the way u say it, for example: i call someone a fucking shit face and they punch the shit outa me well that isnt a very smart way to use the word...

notice how i have been able to include the word shit in my sentence.

OfflineDiddyds
Stranger

Re: This post is the shit! [Re: Diddyds]
    #8798937 - 08/20/08 12:58 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

also whats good to u can be considered bad to someone else so always put that into perspective...for example a gain: say im racist and i thinks its good..well hasent that just changed good to bad, considering its bad and wrong i have just knocked that all out to make it a good thing....goes to show u make ur own reality...

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

#8798950 - 08/20/08 01:01 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

blewmeanie said:
I wasnt calling your post shit, I was addressing the topic that you brought up. The difference in meaning between the two phrases occurs with the addition of the word "the".

Most people do not understand the significance of a word like "the" just like most people dont know what a vowel is aside from being A,E,I,O,U, sometimes Y.

In that case...I think we are in agreement. :confused:

I still don't want to try to define "the". :tongue:

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

#8798958 - 08/20/08 01:02 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Diddyds said:
that means that u have put ur own meaning into somthing u have created....its just the way shit happens ya know its not the word that matters but the way u say it, for example: i call someone a fucking shit face and they punch the shit outa me well that isnt a very smart way to use the word...

notice how i have been able to include the word shit in my sentence.

Yep, definitions are built off of each other, really.  It all comes down to the subjective experience of what words mean to you, and the objective agreements made between people of what should mean what.

Invisibleblewmeanie
 User Gallery

#8799019 - 08/20/08 01:20 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Diddyds said:

You dont, you define a word with an innate understanding that has evolved over thousands and thousands of years. You explain that meaning (or more specifically your intention) to another person with the use of other words. Its not as if someone just decided to start putting together random sounds, and then defining them with other random sounds.

When you teach a child a new word, you dont explain the meaning of it to him with other words. If its ball, you say ball, and then you point to a ball. If its bounce you say the word, and then you bounce the ball. After a large enough vocabulary has developed we are able to further refine, and then communicate a specific intention regarding the use of a specific word to another person.

--------------------

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8800443 - 08/20/08 12:30 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) -
the  /stressed ði; unstressed before a consonant ðə; unstressed before a vowel ði/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[stressed thee; unstressed before a consonant thuh; unstressed before a vowel thee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–definite article
1. (used, esp. before a noun, with a specifying or particularizing effect, as opposed to the indefinite or generalizing force of the indefinite article a or an): the book you gave me; Come into the house.
2. (used to mark a proper noun, natural phenomenon, ship, building, time, point of the compass, branch of endeavor, or field of study as something well-known or unique): the sun; the Alps; the Queen Elizabeth; the past; the West.
3. (used with or as part of a title): the Duke of Wellington; the Reverend John Smith.
4. (used to mark a noun as indicating the best-known, most approved, most important, most satisfying, etc.): the skiing center of the U.S.; If you're going to work hard, now is the time.
5. (used to mark a noun as being used generically): The dog is a quadruped.
6. (used in place of a possessive pronoun, to note a part of the body or a personal belonging): He won't be able to play football until the leg mends.
7. (used before adjectives that are used substantively, to note an individual, a class or number of individuals, or an abstract idea): to visit the sick; from the sublime to the ridiculous.
8. (used before a modifying adjective to specify or limit its modifying effect): He took the wrong road and drove miles out of his way.
9. (used to indicate one particular decade of a lifetime or of a century): the sixties; the gay nineties.
10. (one of many of a class or type, as of a manufactured item, as opposed to an individual one): Did you listen to the radio last night?
11. enough: He saved until he had the money for a new car. She didn't have the courage to leave.
12. (used distributively, to note any one separately) for, to, or in each; a or an: at one dollar the pound.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Sublime

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology