Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Bulk substrate specifics
    #8792905 - 08/18/08 09:28 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I've read guides, threads, responses to both, and can't seem to even catch a gist of what I would like to know - so please feel free not to point me in the direction of the search option, because I used it :P

I am planning on using rye grain spawn, to mix with some compost, let that completely cover with mycelium, than split it between a few different casings. My questions:

1. Humidity - Does it really need that much? Some things I read say just stick the bulk/spawn in an unspecified container, and check in a week, yet the ones that mention perilite seem geared towards bulk substrates with casing layers already applied to them as they are colonizing.

2. Air exchange - Again, from what I read, it seems like a majority of it is stick it in some container, and check after a week. Others mention using a mono-tub, with certain air-exchange holes, but this also seems geared towards fruiting the bulk substrate in that very container - which I do not plan on doing.

From the mixed messages I've gotten from reading all this information, it seems like I should put the bulk/spawn into a seperate container, in a container drilled with holes (mono-tub style), sitting atop a layer of perilite to keep the humidity up.

I guess my MAIN question is - Is all of this shit really necessary? Can I just stick it in a clean container, with maybe a fan or two daily, and it will colonize until I am ready to case it?

I appreciate any straight forward answers I can get to my specific questions, as reading a shit ton without answers to my specific concerns is getting very frustrating.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleseven
Male

Loc: north carolina
Re: Bulk substrate specifics [Re: c1dh3d]
    #8793071 - 08/18/08 09:55 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

your information sounds like alot of teks all togather . you need to pick a direction and get better understanding of growth conditions. the tubs with perilite are fruiting chambers: a way to keep humidity enclosed and high. mycelium needs FAE,LIGHT,and high humidity or form pins and fruit. the holes in the monotubs allow c02 to leave the tub ,while keeping the substrate moisture for humidity enclosed. you arent supposed to open them. a fan is placed in the room but not pointed at the tub. this adds air exchange.so yes you spawn to the mono tub then keep it closed until you case it. then keep closed till harvest. if you are placeing cakes in a tub with perilite then this is just a fruiting chamber and will need to be misted and fanned regularly.IF you want something the requires less fanning and misting build a martha or use monotubs. i advise lots more searching. topics: shotgun fc,monotub,martha,RR's rye tek,WBS,PF TEK, COIR

--------------------
grind

OfflineThailandBound
Home Chemist

Loc: Over here close to over t...
    #8793099 - 08/18/08 09:59 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Ok you seem a little confused so I wil ltry and make this simple.

-When something is colonizing you doNT fan it.
If you are doing grain spawn that will colonize in either a jar or a bag

Then you will mix the colonized grain with a bulk-substrate and allow that to colonize prefferebly in a tray that is covered either by aluminum foil, seran wrap, or the lid with filtered holes.

You will then add this tray to a fruiting chamber THIS is when you begin FAE and add humidity however you would like to do that it depends on the FC.

YES you have to do ALL this shit. Its kinda the whole proccess.

--------------------
:syringe:My First Grow Log

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bulk substrate specifics [Re: ThailandBound]
    #8793145 - 08/18/08 10:09 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

So it seems to me almost exactly like fruiting a casing -

Throw the shit in a bread pan, only you cover this bread pan, then throw it in a fruiting chamber with air exchange holes, and perilite for humidity, until its completely colonized - is that correct?

OfflineThailandBound
Home Chemist

Loc: Over here close to over t...
    #8793225 - 08/18/08 10:24 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

No it needs to be completely colonized BEFORE you put it into a fruiting chamber with air holes and perlite.

And thats not the only type of fruiting chamber there are many other ways. What you want to remember is humidity and FAE, however you wana get those two you got to get them... AFTER fully colonized.

--------------------
:syringe:My First Grow Log

Invisibleseven
Male

Re: Bulk substrate specifics [Re: ThailandBound]
    #8793239 - 08/18/08 10:27 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

yes    inoculation>incubation>fruiting when you inoculate jars of rye,brf,wbs or any other grain with your spores, use a "still air glovebox" you need to make one.also read about steril working procedures and how to use the glove box. tip: flame the needle outside the box. people have exploded their box and burned their arms by lighting a flame in flamable fumes traped in the box from cleaners. incubation is just letting the fungus take over whats in the jars. or after you spawn to bulk, wait for the bulk to colonize before casing,patching and introducing to fruiting. topics to search: glovebox, hyphae's pinning strategy. good luck. if you are looking for simple go monotub. or just fruit cakes. once you understand the basics of the mushroom lifecycle , this all seems less daunting

--------------------
grind

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bulk substrate specifics [Re: seven]
    #8793279 - 08/18/08 10:35 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Woah, woah, woah.

I am not completely new to all this, I prefer to use an oven vs a still air box, as the air is rising upwards away from the inoculation hole rather than sitting within semi-still currents of air (being stirred with every movement of your hand you make).

I have a storage container with a 6-inch diameter hole, covered by a HEPA filter. Would I be able to mix the compost and rye spawn in there, and it will colonize fine with the one huge filtered hole of air exchange and no perilite?

From what I have heard, the compost will naturally create heat when stored at room temperature, which would already raise the humidity inside the chamber.

I am not new to cultivating, but I want to get the best idea possible before taking this first step into bulking substrates.

Appreciate all the input you two!

Invisibleseven
Male

#8793332 - 08/18/08 10:46 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

when you spawn to your bulk> get trays that are deep. five inches or so.deep substrate=larger fruits. mix your spawn with the bulk into the trays and cover with foil that has holes in it.leave room for a casing layer.cover the holes in foil with micropore tape. this allows gas exchange. now let this colonize. dont even look at it for a few days. when its fully colonized case it then put it in fruiting conditions. shotgun fc,martha, ect.

--------------------
grind

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8793361 - 08/18/08 10:51 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Ahh, so instead of spawning all the bulk together, split it up into their different casings, and once fully colonized - then add the casing layer and kaboom.

Much appreciated, muchos gracias amigo :smile:

Invisibleseven
Male

#8793429 - 08/18/08 11:04 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

you only need air exchange"FAE" in fruiting.you need gas exchange during colonization which is acheived by filters on jars. with the filters and covers over bulk trays during colonization, c02 builds up which is good in colonization. when mycelium has fully colonized you case and introduce pinning. FAE clears away c02 and induces pinning:along with high humidity and a 12/12 light cycle. there are other pinning triggers but these 3 along with full colonization are key.

--------------------
grind

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8793435 - 08/18/08 11:05 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

So I don't need perilite for humidity during the colonization? I can just stick the mixtures inside the bread pans, cover, and stick them in the closet? This is one of the parts the largely confused me.

Invisibleseven
Male

#8793450 - 08/18/08 11:08 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

yeah split that shit up. if you get a contamination, all your easter eggs arent in one baskett so to speak.

--------------------
grind

Invisibleseven
Male

#8793487 - 08/18/08 11:15 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

yes just cover them and let them colonize. you only need humidity during fruiting. i have explained some bulk basics.hopefully this gives you alot more research to do.dont just go forward with the basics ive listed in this thread.im just trying to help you understand. dont forget to pasturize any bulk substrate or casing mix. dont sterilize!

--------------------
grind

Invisibleseven
Male

#8793518 - 08/18/08 11:22 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

these are topics you want to research for bulk as well. GRAIN LC, martha,Coco coir,G2G(grain to grain)transfers. and use a still air glove box. the oven tek is crap. you want to reduce all movement of air to reduce any contams blowing into your work.

--------------------
grind

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8793578 - 08/18/08 11:36 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Right, I just wasn't getting what I read for this part of it. I've gathered the pasteurizing part, and actually purchased a spendy sack of compost for my penis envy casing. Which is why I'm triple checking every aspect so I hopefully get a ton of huge dicks to stick in my mouth!

Invisibleseven
Male

#8793658 - 08/18/08 11:57 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

lol i dont think ive ever said this in a nice way but, i just hope you get lots of big dicks to stick in your mouth. hahahaha goodluck

--------------------
grind

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder