Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD, Buy Elixinol   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineheyAdroid
Stranger

Casing question
    #8792868 - 08/18/08 11:20 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Hey guys im going to start growing soon but i have to do it undercover for various reasons, ive been reading around and i have a questions about casing, i was thinking of using this:
Casing
Its a simple terranium for reptiles but it would hold around 2 cakes. I would replace the lid so it doesnt have any holes.
My questions is: if i use this, would i have to add any kind of substrate to the floor of the case? or can i just put the cakes in there and dunk them after the first flush?

2-After the cakes are fully colonized, is there a risk of contamination when transfering from the jar to the case?

3-Ive read that you should use normal jar but some special ones, whats the difference?

My second option is invitro growing but i want my shrooms to fully grow so i can get prints.
Im sorry if some questions are obvious but im completely new at this. Thanks for your help :smile:

Edited by heyAdroid (08/18/08 11:21 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Casing question [Re: heyAdroid]
    #8792964 - 08/18/08 11:38 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I'd add a casing material to the bottom, not substrate. (Substrate being the stuff you worked so hard to not fuck up in the jars)

There is always a chance of that god damn contamination, unfortunately. Use enough lysol to kill a cow, flame/alcohol wipe everything, and don't over-moisturize and you should reduce your chances greatly.

I have no clue what the last question means - as long as you have a jar full of colonized substrate, it doesn't matter if it came out of Willy Wonka's rear end - and long as there is no sign of contamination.

Also you want some holes, filtered or not into your terrarium. Not giving the casing fresh air will contaminate it faster than the possibility of shit floating in through the holes.

This is all as true as the extent of my knowledge grants me - Hope it helps or gives someone more knowledgeable a good basis to criticize or make better points :wink:

OfflineheyAdroid
Stranger

Re: Casing question [Re: c1dh3d]
    #8793006 - 08/18/08 11:44 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

alright, thanks, i'll make sure to get lysol :smile:

so is it okay if i keep the original lid since it has some ventilating holes?

antoher question: does it matter if it is plastic? should i use a glass terranium?

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8793040 - 08/18/08 11:50 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Lysol is a definite must for me - I am contaminant PARANOID.

I prefer plastic, as it's easier to work with / move around when the need to do so arises. You definitely want holes in it so the lid will do, but there are some variable to do this that I have only recently learned.

If they are bare holes, your going to want to keep it at a higher altitude in your room (24+ inches above the floor in your room), and if your keeping it below that, I would somehow filter the holes. The only thing I have ever worked with is humongous holes in the side of my chamber with a HEPA filter over it, but I've heard stuffing the holes with polyfil (never used the stuff) or covering with tyvek (again, never used the stuff) also does the job.

OfflineheyAdroid
Stranger

#8793217 - 08/19/08 12:22 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

hmmm... well i can see why it's recommend to have it above the ground but i definitely wont be able to do this, i'm going to keep my cultivation inside my cpu lol and that's near the ground so i guess i'm going to have to use filters to minimize the risk of contamination.
What kind of filters should i use?
Do you have any recommendations to minimize the risk of contamination while having it near the ground?

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8793250 - 08/19/08 12:29 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

For near ground projects, I prefer birthing straight cakes, because its fairly simple to remove contamination from them without it affecting the rest of the cake, and its overall less prone to contamination because of how big and strong the mycelia network is.

My first suggestion to fight contamination, is to move it to an elevated location when you fan it, and keep any air exchange holes filtered while its close to the ground. Again, if your room is stuffy, have a trash can full of rotting shit, or a hamper loaded with dirty clothes - lysol is a god send.

But, my best advice - cakes are very easy to control contamination on. I've cut Trich out of cakes with new pins on them maybe a centimeter away from where the trich was growing, that boomed into two humongous shrooms after I removed the green shit!

I love cakes, but I be moving on to casings soon :smile:

OfflineheyAdroid
Stranger

#8793278 - 08/19/08 12:35 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

well i'm going to be birthing cakes too, the case is just to keep the cakes in there so that the shrooms can fully grow instead of leaving them in the jar and growing them invitro.

okay, i'll make sure to get some sort of filter :smile:

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8793296 - 08/19/08 12:39 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Now, when you say 'case', do you mean crumbling the cakes into vermiculite/other stuff, or keeping the solid cakes in a physical 'case' and birthing them? Thats kind of confusing me.

OfflineheyAdroid
Stranger

#8793327 - 08/19/08 12:45 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

im keeping the solid cakes in a physical case and birthing them
lol sorry if i'm not using the terms right

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8793386 - 08/19/08 12:54 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, casing means to.. crumble up the cakes and, to some degree, make a three-layer cake, only instead of being delicious at a birthday party - it grows mushrooms.

Are you familiar with the dunk and roll tek? I have a few suggestions, and just want to see if you know of that one yet.

OfflineheyAdroid
Stranger

#8795374 - 08/19/08 01:39 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

well i know about dunking but i dont know what does roll mean
so is it ok if i just use the physical case to put the cakes in there?

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
    #8795473 - 08/19/08 01:56 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

If you're birthing the cakes as cakes, you'll need some perlite on the bottom of that thing. Do about 3 inches of it, that thing is small. Personally, I'd just put a 3 inch layer of substrate (the cakes, crumpled up, if there's enough for 2-3 in. ) and case it with a half inch layer of jiffy mix. The casing layer would provide humidity, so you wouldn't need perlite.  BTW dunk/roll means to sumberge the cakes in water for 12-20 hours, rinse, roll in dry verm, let sit for a few hours, and spray the verm down to make it moist. It gives needed water to everything. The verm holds water on the outside of the sub like a casing layer would, & creates colonization points.  I believe you are using the term "casing" for "Fruiting chamber" (FC).  FC is something you fruit substrate in, casing is a layer of moisture holding non-nutritive stuff that you put on top of a substrate tray. Jiffy mix (Peat moss, vermiculite, lime) is a good casing layer. Be carefull buying Jiffy though because some of it is peat/perlite instead of peat/verm.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD, Buy Elixinol   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation