Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCrabmeat
Mycoholic
Male

First time monotub
    #8792553 - 08/18/08 10:07 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I spawned out 2 monotubs on the 11th or 12th, today is the 18th.  So about 1 week ago I did them and I can't figure out if they are colonizing or not.  I did fahsters method of laying a large amount of manure on top so I can't figure out whats going on underneath.  There are a few patches of grain poking out but I think I may of just missed those parts covering it up.  I don't want to scratch the surface and introduce contamination into the tubs to peak and see if its going or not.  Also I took a RH reading and the device was slowly climbing up for 70-80 percent before I pulled it out so I'm sure its above 80.  The tubs smell like horse manure and I don't really notice that mushroom smell like when you pop open a jar of spawn.  The temperature readings have been a low of 65 and a high of 80.  The 65 reading was earlier when the tubs hadn't been generating their own heat.  So what do you guys think, active mycellium or goners?  Also I did 3 more tubs do you think a good place for them to colonize would be in a shed with a blanket covering them?

--------------------
Trade Prints Trade Needles

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePowerOfTheCoir
Newbie Sympathizer
Male User Gallery

Re: First time monotub [Re: Crabmeat]
    #8792706 - 08/18/08 10:45 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Their high of 80F is as hot as you want to let them get. The shed would probably go a lot higher. With big masses of substrate, like most monotubs, you'll have a lot more heat built up in their core than you think. It can be 10F above room temp.

If the tubs successfully colonize, you'll see the surface of the manure turn white, just like how you knew a jar was done. You can case when it hits 90ish%, or wait for 100%, your choice.

During colonization, you want POOR CO2 removal. For my monotubs, I've just laid a piece of foil or plastic directly on top of the sub and poked a few holes to breathe. The high CO2 levels tell the mycellium to colonize faster so that the colony can reach the O2 rich surface where mushrooms will actually work (no use making them underneath the poo). You didn't explain how you are treating the sub during colonization - if it has good FAE, you may want to reduce the ventilation for now.

Humidity should be around 100%, although if you have lousy FAE (ideal for now) you will maintain 100% without any help. Don't worry about measuring the RH now - as long as the sub is covered with foil laid directly over it and very few vent holes, you'll stay at 100% the whole time.

The manure should be dried in the sun for a while until it has no significant smell. If it smells like horse manure, then there may be a problem. It might still work, but try to age the stuff in the future.

What was the ratio of spawn to manure? How thick is that top layer? (I like the manure/coir/ect top layer, I just make mine thin) What kind of spawn (wbs, rye, cakes, ect) did you use?

--------------------
Check out my first ever TEK!
Shroom capsules with the Cap-M-Quik (pics)

OfflineCrabmeat
Mycoholic
Male

Re: First time monotub [Re: PowerOfTheCoir]
    #8792741 - 08/18/08 10:53 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I just bought my manure in a bag.  (Nea's Posy Power)  I spawned with rye grain.  For my ratio I used 5 jars of grain, 7 jars of manure.  My FAE includes a cover of press and seal with holes poked in it.  I also have 4 holes the size of the weight on a pressure cooker stuffed with polyfill.  Should I cover these over with something to lower FAE levels?  Thanks for your help by the way.  Also I have a few clumps of manure on the surface should I break it up?

EDIT
For the first 2 tubs I used press and seal as a cover with holes poked in it and the polyfill holes.

For the 3 new tubs I just did, I used the plastic lid that came with the bin for a cover and had polyfill holes.

For the first 2 tubs I will put some press and seal over my polyfill holes.
For the 3 new tubs that have a plastic cover and no press and seal should I cover all of the polyfill holes with tape except for 2?

--------------------

Edited by Crabmeat (08/18/08 11:03 PM)

OfflinePowerOfTheCoir
Newbie Sympathizer
Male User Gallery

#8792807 - 08/18/08 11:07 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, cover up the big vent holes for now. Uncover them when the tub is ready to fruit. Those are providing enough FAE for fruiting and confusing the heck out of your mycellium. They're also allowing the substrate to lose moisture. When they are opened later, you will have just applied a casing layer, so the casing will take care of the RH and the substrate can retain its moisture.

With that spawn ratio, you should see white poking through real soon if everything is OK. And don't worry about the clumps - try to think "benevolent neglect" during colonization.

--------------------
Check out my first ever TEK!
Shroom capsules with the Cap-M-Quik (pics)

OfflineCrabmeat
Mycoholic
Male

Re: First time monotub [Re: PowerOfTheCoir]
    #8792988 - 08/18/08 11:42 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

taping up a black garbage bag over the entire thing except the top.  Thanks for the advice... hopefully first grow pictures will ensue.

--------------------

OfflineCrabmeat
Mycoholic
Male

#8800950 - 08/20/08 02:55 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry to revive this but its been 8 days now and it still doesn't look any different on the surface.  I went back and covered over fahsters monotub tek.  He says to use 2 jars of spawn and then one layer of manure over top.  I mistakenly did it 1 jar of spawn and then 2 jars of manure over top.  I am hoping this on top of me having lots of fresh air exchange is explaining the slow colonization.  However how can I tell if its colonizing or just dead?  I fixed the fresh air exchange and hopefully have co2 buildup, I removed the plastic wrap over top and put the lids on and covered the sides of my tubs in garbage bags.  Then I put a blanket over top the tubs to block out light and keep it a bit warmer.  Should I open one of the tubs and dig down into it a bit to see if its colonizing?  If it is colonizing will these first time mistakes lower my yield of my first flush?  Am I just being paranoid because its my first time?

--------------------

OfflineSix
Stranger than fiction
Male

#8801060 - 08/20/08 03:32 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

If it's moist enough it won't stop colonizing.. It could take another week (or two) to colonize that much poo.. just set it aside and wait.. and keep it at room temperature

OfflineCrabmeat
Mycoholic
Male

Re: First time monotub [Re: Six]
    #8824067 - 08/25/08 12:25 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Alright its been 13 days and not a whole lot of progress.  One got cotton web and I treated it with h202.  I will spray again after this post.  Finally got a camera, 5 quarts of rye grain to 7 quarts of horse manure.  Did a layer method, horse/grain/horse/grain/horse/grain/horse/grain/horse/grain/horse/horse. Note the humidity reading is not accurate because I didn't set it in the tub, I just left it there to show temperature.  Mycellium looks pretty cotton like compared to some of the other grows I've seen, but mine is a multispore to grain.  Tell me what you guys think needs work.

Tub 1

Tub 1's cotton mold

Tub 2

Stack job

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation