Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Impulse Sealer, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineludus_tonalis
Stranger
PF cakes 70% colonized - but questions (thanks in advance)
    #8792311 - 08/18/08 08:53 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Hi all,

A foaf has PF style brown rice cakes colonizing in quart jars.  They started slowly, but are going nicely now.  My guess is that his jars are 70% colonized from looking from the outside in.  Again, brown rice with a casing layer.

Well, he has since gotten into the hobby a bit more and now has everything necessary to go into bulk substrates - bags, impulse sealer, all of it.  So, he can do what he wants.  Here is the main question for this thread:

With roughly 70% colonized cakes _now_ - what are the chances the cakes will be viable if he inoculates a grain bag pronto and can cut the cakes and fill in with inoculated substrate from the bags (and what is this called - where it is half-cake, half-bulk substrate?)  The quart jars took about three weeks to get to this point - but it is said that bulk in a bag goes faster.  Could the bulk catch up to the cakes in time? What happens if the jars start pinning a bit but the substrate needs time?  Or is it even a problem is the bulk isn't completely colonized?

If this seems likely - or even probable, tack on a post and I'll relay the info to him.  Looking at PF style cakes fruiting doesn't exactly look lovely - I know him, he'd like to see a nice couple of fruiting cycles. He plans on wrapping the jars if the bulk thing won't work to get better looking vertical fruits... recommended??

Also what do you do when the PF tek becomes easy and silly?  Simply having MORE isn't interesting to him, doing it better (i.e. higher quality specimins, etc) is the thing?  Can you just inoculate the bulk in a bag, let the mycelium do their magical things and then transfer to a pan, vermiculite the top of it and fruit?  Is that what most people are doing?  My foaf is at the edge of stepping things up on all levels - ideally wanting to go from a cyan print to substrate to wood, to someones garden!  Help Clue him in.. The books are around, but this place is crawling with doers - and thats what he needs.

Best
Ludus

(And thanks for the forum, thanks to the mods... my first post)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblecosmictaco
The answer IS the question
 User Gallery

Loc: In a Ditch
Re: PF cakes 70% colonized - but questions (thanks in advance) [Re: ludus_tonalis]
    #8792448 - 08/18/08 09:37 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

have you tried using the search option yet to find any of this info you are requesting? This is what I usually do and it's how I have found 90% of the answers to questions i have had.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/search.php

oh, and welcome to the forum!

Edited by cosmictaco (08/18/08 09:38 PM)

Offlineludus_tonalis
Stranger
Re: PF cakes 70% colonized - but questions (thanks in advance) [Re: cosmictaco]
    #8793619 - 08/19/08 01:48 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

You know, I have.  There seems to be some sort of missing link between PF tek style growing and slightly more advanced issues - maybe I am just missing the main words to search for.  Nonetheless, if you have stumbled upon any good threads, please just point them out.  No point in re-typing stuff.

Thanks
p

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: PF cakes 70% colonized - but questions (thanks in advance) [Re: ludus_tonalis]
    #8793633 - 08/19/08 01:52 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Are you asking if you can crumble up the cake into bulk media?

OfflineYamidude
Stranger

Re: PF cakes 70% colonized - but questions (thanks in advance) [Re: c1dh3d]
    #8793791 - 08/19/08 02:48 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

c1dh3d said:
Are you asking if you can crumble up the cake into bulk media?

and if that is the case.  of course..

Offlineludus_tonalis
Stranger
Re: PF cakes 70% colonized - but questions (thanks in advance) [Re: Yamidude]
    #8795935 - 08/19/08 03:13 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Actually, what I am asking is whether is if one could inoculate some bulk substrate in a bag and not endager the cakes which are at 70% or so.  I know that bulk spawns more quickly, but would my foaf be pushing it if he started today on a bag of brown rice or rye?  It would need half a day to soak, boil, bag, sterilize - at which point it would need to fully colonize.  The position he doesn't want to end up in is that the cakes are ready to go into the fruting but the bulk substrate is still behind.  My guess, which I told him, is that the cakes are too far along.

Is there any way to take the cakes, crumple them up into some sort of compost (horse, straw, etc) and let the cakes colonize it?  That would probably be ideal but I haven't read of such a thing.

One last question, is there a run-of-the-mill answer to the question of how much substrate goes in a jar and then how many cc's of spore solution or cups of colonized grain should be added?

Thanks
p

OfflineDoidleTheDigger
nuby skeptic with help
Male

Loc: yomama
    #8930234 - 09/14/08 09:35 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

who cares if the bulk come along a little after the cakes,  leave thecakes, IMO spacing out whne things are ready is good so you can be steadyily harvesting. scooping jars you should have a glove box, but even that is generally done with fully colonized cakes, just wait on the cakes start the bags theyle be rdy when they rdy, personally my batches go as fast as i can pc

cakes should be fruited in jars if thats what i i think i heard birth em into a terranium of some sort, i use kitty litter boxs with a cd case windon and perlite in the botm. if you have the wrong kind of jars and cant get em out whole then it might be necesary to cover the sides and let fruit or spawn to something by scooping

--------------------
"Git 'Er Done!"
"the sooner you start the sooner you get"
"if i ever hear you tell someone else ill stab you"
All of my posts are fictional

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
    #8930691 - 09/14/08 11:06 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ludus_tonalis said:
You know, I have.  There seems to be some sort of missing link between PF tek style growing and slightly more advanced issues - maybe I am just missing the main words to search for.  Nonetheless, if you have stumbled upon any good threads, please just point them out.  No point in re-typing stuff.

Thanks
p

Try growing Panaeolus/Copelandia cyanescens. They require the same treatment as cubensis to induce pinning. The biggest difference is in the substrate you use.

This will probably be your best bet at moving forward to a new species. Outdoor grows can take a whole season to see fruits. Especially with wood-lovers.

EDIT:

Didn't realize how old this damn thread was, my bad.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Impulse Sealer, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation