Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> The Gaming Grotto

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Balloons, Cracker, Nitrous Oxide

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinearpnuke
Always changing
 User Gallery

Hacked PSPs - The trippers handheld
    #8790766 - 08/18/08 02:22 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

The PSP has a solid homebrew software and retail game piracy scene. You can play any PSX game, use emulators (SNES, some N64 games, and everything below that), browse the web (not amazingly good), listen to music, and watch videos. Now there is custom firmware to make piracy so easy that you go to Game -> Memory Stick -> pick your title and it will launch the game.

Video games while tripping used to not interest me very much.  I'd rather walk around in nature at a park than stay inside and fire up halo 3 and get raped by people not on shrooms.  The portable nature of these things makes it really easy to just pick up and play spontaneously.  It's got a big library of good games by now, but these are the trippy ones I like to keep on the memory stick when I shroom.

Very simple, but enjoyable game by the maker of lumines. You move your arrow guy around the screen and blow it up. The blast radius hits the enemies and they explode in chains netting you points and powerups to pick up. It's timed, you have a limited amount of blow ups, and there are boss fights.  It's simple enough that I can focus in on it while tripping and usually do really well.

Loco Roco has you playing as a weird rolling ball. It eats fruit in the level and gets bigger. You can break it apart or have it absorb the chunks. The levels design seems very shroomy and you don't move your ball, but instead tilt the world. By the way, your ball sings through the entire level.

That screenshot doesn't really do it justice.  It's just really weird, very difficult to lose at, and my favorite game to play on mushrooms because everythings already wavy on the blob or even the landscape anyways.

Lumines II is really good.  The goal is to matchup the blocks and make combos as that scanner line runs across the screen to in tune with the music.  The music changes as you get on a big ass steady combo and rack up points.  Words like, "Future", laughter, "wrong," and other mind fucks are very light in the background.  As you score points, the color of the blocks, background, and the music changes.  There's a lot of no-name stuff that goes great, but for L2 they pulled some major artists.  Gwen Stefani, Black Eyed Peas, Beck, Fatboy Slim, Missy Elliott, The Chemical Brothers, and Hoobastank.  I've only heard Beck so far, but Beck is good listening.

I used to be OK at it, but a simple puzzle game frustrated me when I got my ass kicked and seemed stupid when there were games like grand theft auto to be played.  Last night I had 20g wet and started seeing all these new ways to match up the blocks, set myself up for combos, and could do that with incredible speed.  I've never been that good at a tetris-like game in my life.  Thinking 3 steps ahead and just kicking ass at the highest difficulty level.  As an experiment, everyone should play some kind of tetris game and see if you do better sober.  If there is ever a tetris competition near where you live, eat some shrooms and go dominate.

There's some other cool stuff like a Katamari game and plenty other big series that I wouldn't call trippy, but are good for downtime during sobriety.  Well, that's what I've been playing lately, how about you guys?  Anyone like some games on the DS while tripping or just some straight up home console games?  Geometry Wars is great fun on the 360.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
Re: Hacked PSPs - The trippers handheld [Re: arpnuke]
    #8790783 - 08/18/08 02:25 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I don't usually play games while I'm tripping, but I did play Geometry Wars on acid once. It was absolutely hilarious to me for some reason. :lol:

Watching a friend play Katamari Damacy as I came up on shrooms was pretty earthshattering, too. :eek:

EDIT: Come to think of it, I did play Soul Calibur III on acid once, after my friends and I got home from the 40th anniversary of the Summer of Love. Somehow the LSD gave me super gaming skill, and I proceeded to defeat my friends with every character in the game consecutively, even though I used to suck at that game. I wasn't even paying attention to the individual characters, I was just looking at the general movement of the battles and pushing whatever buttons seemed appropriate.

I've been the undisputed master of Soul Calibur ever since. Acid FTW.

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

Edited by Tchan909 (08/18/08 02:28 PM)

OfflineEpyx
Timelord
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Hacked PSPs - The trippers handheld [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #8790961 - 08/18/08 03:07 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Somehow the LSD gave me super gaming skill,

Lol or your friends were too fried to put up any resistance lol...they may have just been tripping on their controllers :smile:

Anything by Jeff Minter is great to trip on...if you have an Xbox 360 I highly, highly recommend a game called Space Girafe...and any of Jeff Minter's light synths :smile:

InvisibleEll Ess Bree
reppin state tostate, wat uneed?

Re: Hacked PSPs - The trippers handheld [Re: Epyx]
    #8791932 - 08/18/08 07:03 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I've been playing video games forever, so I'm pretty advanced at them, and if I eat shrooms and try to play its impossible...  but I played socom 3 online one a heavy acid trip once and I too had uber gaming skill...  I could feel something swell inside of me whenever I was about to run into an enemy, and since I knew, or atleast felt I was about to, I had the jump on them and annihilated them everytime...  it was intense...  I was always really good at socom, but was never able to just accurately predict when I'd run into doods

InvisibleYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands, USA Flag
Re: Hacked PSPs - The trippers handheld (moved)
    #8861748 - 09/01/08 06:54 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

This thread was moved from The Psychedelic Experience.

Reason:
Please help us get our new forum started. :smile:

OfflineJamio
1337 Tech Nerd
Male

Loc: In The Motherboard
Re: Hacked PSPs - The trippers handheld (moved) [Re: Ythan]
    #8861993 - 09/01/08 07:40 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Without a doubt man, the PSP (Hacked) is a mans best friend. You got an MP3 player, trippy games, trippy apps. Movies and video clips.

any a web browser (hacked mine to be just like Firefox) so mushroom ID's while still out in the woods.

It is perfect for anything.

--------------------

When The Power of Love,
Overcomes The Love of Power,
The World Will Know Peace.

Government - The TRUE WMD

Offlinearpnuke
Always changing
 User Gallery

Re: Hacked PSPs - The trippers handheld (moved) [Re: Jamio]
    #8867012 - 09/02/08 07:01 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

New, good quality games keep rolling in.  Lately I've been into this game called Echochrome.  There's no way to lose (great for tripping), only using your mind to solve the puzzle.  It's a game based around perception where the rules involve rotating the level to create perceptual illusions that in tern create a reality within the game world.  I think somewhere in the intro the game says something like, "What you perceive is reality."  All the gameplay is accompanied by a beautiful string quartet.

Here's some video of it in action:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfICeBtVv8U

I only played through the tutorial today, but it looks like it will be good for a long time, takes only ~100mb on the mem stick, and from what I've been reading there is some user created echochrome level stuff going on.  Not sure if PSP users can create their own or if it's restricted to PS3.  Just haven't played it enough.

Basically you rotate a level around like this to let your guy walk around and meet up with other guys or end of level stuff.

An incredibly complex looking echochrome level: 

N+[/b}

Here's an old flash game where you play as a stick figure dude jumping around the walls to get stars, avoid enemies, and get to the exit.  It's real fast paced in that you can just pick up and play a set of levels in 15 minutes.  They've released it for all sorts of consoles, Xbox live arcade, PSN, DS, PSP, etc.  Pretty fun and definitely worth playing for free.  There is even multiplayer, but the game is too simplistic for me to spend more than $10 on it.  Here's a screenshot to remind you of what N game was: 

InvisibleYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male

Re: Hacked PSPs - The trippers handheld (moved) [Re: arpnuke]
    #8867094 - 09/02/08 07:21 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

If you like Echochrome have you tried Crush? It's got the same space bending puzzle thing going on, it's pretty fun.

OfflineLinux
Elite Grey Hat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Eastpointe, MI 48021 Flag
    #8867207 - 09/02/08 07:35 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

How to I change my firmware? What do I need?

--------------------

I'm just a psychopathic, mass-murdering, schizophrenic clown with zero empathy.

InvisibleYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male

Re: Hacked PSPs - The trippers handheld [Re: Linux]
    #8867307 - 09/02/08 07:48 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Check out this post for some info and useful links. Basically you need a Pandora's Battery, which is a special battery that puts the PSP in service mode, and you need a magic memory stick, which is a specially formatted memory stick containing the modified firmware. You can make your own magic memory stick with any computer, but to make a Pandora's battery you'll need a PSP Phat with v1.5 firmware or else bust out the soldering iron. I'd probably just order the battery from DealExtreme, and get whatever size memory stick you want for your games and use that as the magic memory stick during the flashing process.

OfflineLinux
Elite Grey Hat
Male User Gallery

Re: Hacked PSPs - The trippers handheld [Re: Ythan]
    #8867322 - 09/02/08 07:50 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

So buy this and im set? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12711

--------------------

InvisibleYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male

Re: Hacked PSPs - The trippers handheld [Re: Linux]
    #8867367 - 09/02/08 07:55 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Yup looks like that's all you need. You will still have to download the modified firmware yourself and put it on the stick though (since it's technically illegal) but that's not hard. Oh and once your PSP is modded, 4GB won't seem like nearly enough for everything you want to store. My 16 gigger is packed and I'm just waiting for the 32s to come out. :wink: But other than that, go for it!

InvisibleYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male

#8867417 - 09/02/08 08:02 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Oh and while we're on the subject of trippy games, don't forget a modded PSP can play most Playstation 1 games as well... I was having some fun with bong loads and N2O (the game, not the gas) the other night. It really is a fun toy. :smile:

OfflineLinux
Elite Grey Hat
Male User Gallery

#8867479 - 09/02/08 08:15 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I bet the gas would have been more fun :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinearpnuke
Always changing
 User Gallery

#8868478 - 09/02/08 10:35 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

To the guy wanting to mod his PSP, I'll post more information when I get off work.  What kind of PSP do you have (slim/fat), what firmware are you currently at, etc?

Once you get the hacked firmware on there to the latest version it is amazing how they've got it now.  When a new version rolls out, you navigate to network update like you would on a legit PSP and it downloads the official firmware and then sets it up to the cracked version.

For around $60 at Amazon you can pickup a 8GB memory stick duo from sandisk (good company).  I sometimes throw an album or three on there, but for the most part 1-16GB isn't much music at all.  With homebrew you can play NES/SNES/PSX (by sony)/gameboy/GBC/GBA/ and even some N64 games.  They're pretty cool little toys and if you've got the money and like gaming, I think they are worth the purchase.  The worst part of the modern world in my eyes is sitting around waiting for something and having to just stare at the floor until it moves and waves.  I keep my PSP with me most of the time and just fire it up during those times and have really been enjoying it.  Other friends who bought one have sold theirs due to not using it enough.  To those considering buying one, you gotta just think:  Is it just a gadget that I'm gonna play for a bit or do I want to DL a bunch of software and really tinker with it?  There's also a lot more good, normal games like God of War and Daxter.

BTW, that Crush game is excellent too.  Patapon is supposed to be trippy and rated highly as a music game, but I'd rather play something non-musical as clicking to the rhythm with various buttons doesn't sound like much fun.  Then again, I've only played the first level.  It was very well done and maybe I need to play more.

Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
    #8985794 - 09/25/08 08:25 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

i,ve got a 1001 and the latest custom firmware 4. something, been playing silent hill origins,good creepy game
also have virtua tennis world tour and V.T 3,liberty city, socom bravo
also have about 400 songs converted to mp3 along with other games looks like i got into them at the right time, tunes sound pretty good for mp3, sony has been doing me right for decades now

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi
from

The Book of Five Rings

OfflineFSBlueApocalypse
Sailin with Jerry
Re: Hacked PSPs - The trippers handheld [Re: 5150]
    #8987440 - 09/26/08 01:34 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I traded an old textbook for a PSP this summer. Patapon and the God of War game were fun. Other than that, I can see why every one mods theres to me a portable emulator.

Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
Re: Hacked PSPs - The trippers handheld [Re: FSBlueApocalypse]
    #8990205 - 09/26/08 06:21 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

text book for a psp thats a smoking deal
i paid 80$ but it came with the box, manual,all cables, paid some guy 10$ for the use of his pandora battery and he put on the latest c.f. and a game,i like how u can just drag and drop whole albums on to your stick and thwn just delete the crap songs which there r usually many on every album

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi
from

The Book of Five Rings

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Balloons, Cracker, Nitrous Oxide

General Interest >> The Gaming Grotto