Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleunknown28
Chill

Loc: Midwest Swanging
ALL AMERICAN 941 PC HEATING HELP!!!!
    #8788401 - 08/17/08 08:54 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I rcently purchased a 941 PC, and upon readin the instructions this can not be used on a flat top range.Sice this is the only type of stve I own, I went out and purchased a single 1000watt burner.After having the PC on this burner for 3 hours it had still not built up enough pressure to sterlize my jars.Now I know this could not be the case with all the fellow shroomery members that use this PC. So my question is what should I use to heat this massive PC, and how long does it take you guys from beginning to end to sterlize on batch of jars? PLease Help

--------------------
Strains For Trade!!! B+, Hawaiian, Oakridge,Texas

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

Loc: cardboard box
Re: ALL AMERICAN 941 PC HEATING HELP!!!! [Re: unknown28]
    #8788458 - 08/17/08 09:04 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

This would be good for your PC.....Click Me.

Offlinefunkyjunky
Sigh Low Sippin'
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: brick city
    #8788515 - 08/17/08 09:15 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hotplates are for flasks, beakers, and other laboratory-type shit.  Absolutely not for pressure cooking; hotplates are very underpowered for such a use.  Get a "turkey roaster," AKA propane burner.  Should be around $50 at any big hardware/box store.  These hook up to a normal small grill propane tank, and can be used (with precaution) indoors.

Otherwise you could experimentally try a conductive flat piece of metal (thinking skillet) as a thermal coupler between the stove and the PC.

I wish I had an AA 941 :toast:.

--------------------
Long Live the Shroomery
Peace

Invisibleunknown28
Chill

Re: ALL AMERICAN 941 PC HEATING HELP!!!! [Re: funkyjunky]
    #8788650 - 08/17/08 09:52 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for the suggestions. I next idea was a turkey fryer, but I didn't know how that would work indoors. And this is definately something I would wanna do indoors! So I guess propane burner under extreme caution it is!

--------------------

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: ALL AMERICAN 941 PC HEATING HELP!!!! [Re: funkyjunky]
    #8788662 - 08/17/08 09:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I had no idea this was an issue.

What's a flat top stove is it one where the burner is a semi-plastic pad and not a normal coiled burner?

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Edited by ScavengerType (08/17/08 09:57 PM)

Invisibleunknown28
Chill

Re: ALL AMERICAN 941 PC HEATING HELP!!!! [Re: ScavengerType]
    #8788739 - 08/17/08 10:15 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Flat tops stoves are usually flat glass or ceramic cooking surfaces that will crack from the extreme weight and heat given off by this size PC. Just to give you an idea of the heat generated  by this PC... This thing heated up my entire house, and might I add there was no steam escaping since it never did reach the proper temp. So yes this PC definately has the potential to crack cooking surfaces< and damage surrounding counter tops!

--------------------

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #8788749 - 08/17/08 10:19 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

There are a few options to choose from. First thing to do is get a pressure toggle valve from WAFCO (store.wafco.com, part #65) to get rid of the weight valve. It just screws in place. This allows you to use much less water in the pc to run it, thus requiring less heat/faster start up times. Plus you can now go to 18-20 psi no prob. Plus it maintains pressure way easier now. Best $18 you can spend.

The best burner is a double burner electric range that is about 1500 - 1650 watts total. You want one that has the elements close together, like this one which is the most ideal cost effective one: http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.aol_refer.false.tpl.detail.msn_refer.false.item.K180550.ref.GBA?cm_ven=GOOGLEBASE&cm_cat=Cooking%20&cm_pla=Kitchen%20Electrics&cm_ite=K180550

You place the cooker balanced on top of both burners.

No need for a 220v commercial burner in the hundreds of dollar range, the cheap double ones works so well.

A propane burner also will work fine, but electric is way better no worries on scorching anything, poisons etc. I have use successfully a 180,000 BTU propane high pressure jet burner and a 30,000 BTU low pressure double ring style burner. The latter was much better. You really only need about 8,000 BTU or so honestly.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Invisibleunknown28
Chill

Re: ALL AMERICAN 941 PC HEATING HELP!!!! [Re: sandman420]
    #8788924 - 08/17/08 11:16 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the help! I think Im gonna stick with the propane burner, but I also think I will invest in that toggle valve

--------------------

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

Loc: cardboard box
    #8789058 - 08/17/08 11:59 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

:cheers:

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #8789137 - 08/18/08 12:24 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Remember the propane burner cannot be used indoors.  Carbon monoxide and all that jazz man.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Re: ALL AMERICAN 941 PC HEATING HELP!!!! [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #8789182 - 08/18/08 12:38 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Natural gas burners don't produce as much problems as propane burners I take it?

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: ALL AMERICAN 941 PC HEATING HELP!!!! [Re: Maverick]
    #8789262 - 08/18/08 01:14 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

If I'm not mistaken propane is natural gas compressed with the smell added to it so it's NH4. I don't see how it would produce carbon monoxide, I used to use a blowtorch for doing hot-knives indoors, if you air a room out it shouldn't cause problems. Though to be honest I had the hot-knives on for 5-10 min stints (though in the winter easily over 30 mins total of torch before opening the window) I'd bet this NG burner left on for an hour and a half could burn a substantial amount of oxygen out of the room.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

Edited by ScavengerType (08/18/08 01:16 AM)

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#8789296 - 08/18/08 01:27 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

All the info that comes with the turkey burners says explicitly that you shouldn't use them indoors.  Same with any other type of propane burner.  Now CO2 producers for growing the ganj can be used in doors, but your usually monitoring those levels, and only burning for short amounts of time like 15 mins. or so.

Sure with enough ventilation you might be able to get away with it.  But my understanding is that natural gas is different from propane.  Now I'm no chemist, so I may be wrong.  But it would seem that if on the box they're telling you not to do it I wouldn't

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#8789351 - 08/18/08 01:53 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

your right I'm wrong propane is C3H8. Damn I was way off. So it will produce quite a bit of CO, still I bet you could do it indoors with proper ventilation.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#8789357 - 08/18/08 01:55 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane

Very different compounds after a little bit of investigation.  Although natural gas in it's raw form contains propane.  Natural gas that comes into your home is almost pure Methane according to wiki.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #8789503 - 08/18/08 03:13 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I highly recommend the electric way. Then you can use a heavy duty timer to control the cycle, and if you do spawn bags there is no worries for melting the sides touching. If you want to runt he propane burner indoors you will need some serious ventilation. Its not c02 your worrying about its carbon monoxide.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Offlinesomestupidnewbie
Stranger
 User Gallery

#8789598 - 08/18/08 04:41 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Remember the propane burner cannot be used indoors.  Carbon monoxide and all that jazz man.

Uhm, I grew up in a trailer that had propane gas for everything.. propane stove, propane water heater, propane heater.  Propane is fine to use indoors. In fact, in Las Cruces (where I grew up) if you have gas piped in from the city, it's propane, not natural gas.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: ALL AMERICAN 941 PC HEATING HELP!!!! [Re: somestupidnewbie]
    #8790023 - 08/18/08 09:13 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Make sure you're not using more than 1" of water in the bottom. A 1kw burner should be enough as long as you don't get the water too deep.  I use an 800 watt burner for my AA 921 and it heats up to full pressure in about 20 minutes.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleunknown28
Chill

Re: ALL AMERICAN 941 PC HEATING HELP!!!! [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8790143 - 08/18/08 09:55 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

A 1000watt electric burner definately will not work. My 1st attempt was with room temperature tap water in the bottom and after 5 hours there was still no pressure build up. Attempt 2 I used boiling water to the PC and immediately put it on the burner again after 3 1/2 hours still no pressure. As for homes that running off propane this definately true since my home is 1 of the few in the area that doesn"t run off of these propane tanks a.k.a PIGS. Im gonna try the turkey fryer method with a regulated hose and proper ventilation and I think I should be fine.

--------------------

Invisibleunknown28
Chill

Re: ALL AMERICAN 941 PC HEATING HELP!!!! [Re: sandman420]
    #8790168 - 08/18/08 10:03 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

sandman420 said:
I highly recommend the electric way. Then you can use a heavy duty timer to control the cycle, and if you do spawn bags there is no worries for melting the sides touching. If you want to runt he propane burner indoors you will need some serious ventilation. Its not c02 your worrying about its carbon monoxide.

In my opinion the electric method is useless. Most people go with AA941 to cut down on PC time, and the ability to do many jars at once. When using a electric burner it turns into a all day job just to heat this thing up. And if I wanted to spend all day doing this i could have saved $350 and kept using my old PC that only did 3 at a time.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom