Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Black morel (Morchella importuna) live culture on agar, Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male Arcade Champion: Candy

Folding@home Statistics
Mexican gangs dominate Ohio drug trade
    #8789915 - 08/18/08 10:39 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

link

Powerful and well-organized Mexican drug-trafficking groups have seized control of drug distribution throughout Ohio, flooded local markets with increasingly cheap heroin and are using Columbus and Dayton as distribution hubs for southwestern Ohio and parts of Indiana, local and federal U.S. drug-enforcement officials say.

The situation in Ohio reflects a larger national trend: U.S. officials say Mexican cartels operate in at least 195 U.S. cities and dominate the drug trade in every region of the country except for isolated pockets such as the Northeast and southern Florida. The report predicts that heroin abuse will increase among white, suburban users.

According to a May report from the U.S. Department of Justice's National Drug Intelligence Center, groups connected with the Federation cartel, one of Mexico's two dominant cartels, control distribution in and around Columbus and Dayton.

Columbus has emerged as a regional distribution center for Mexican heroin supplied to markets throughout Ohio, West Virginia and western Pennsylvania.

Distributors from other markets often travel to Columbus to purchase Mexican heroin to sell in their home areas, the report said.

Distributors in Fairfield County drive to Columbus twice a day to purchase approximately 75 balloons of heroin each trip. Each balloon contains about 0.2 gram of heroin.

The Juarez Cartel, once Mexico's most-powerful cartel but significantly weakened in recent years, operates in Hamilton County, according to the report.

"They are very well-trained, very well-schooled," said John Postlethwaite, coordinator of the Ohio High-Intensity Drug-Trafficking Area, a joint federal, state and local task force, of the Mexican trafficking groups. "It's become a lot harder than it used to be."

Drug-enforcement officials blame the Mexican traffickers for an alarming spike in the availability of heroin, saying prices have fallen precipitously recently, from about $5,000 an ounce a few years ago to about $1,000 an ounce.

Officials say heroin use has increased, a trend they expect will continue.

"The number of heroin abusers will very likely grow as more abusers of prescription opioids switch to heroin in the face of increasing Mexican heroin availability throughout the region," the report reads.

It goes on to say that in Dayton, Mexican traffickers have replaced African-American gangs as the primary wholesale distributors of cocaine, marijuana and heroin.

Ohio officials say Mexican groups are increasingly bypassing traditional distribution hubs such as Chicago and Detroit and moving drugs directly from the border to Ohio cities.

Todd Spradling, the resident agent in charge of the Dayton DEA office, said that smaller cities such as Dayton and Columbus have become more attractive to traffickers. "A lot of the organizations have shifted from larger cities to smaller cities to avoid detection," he said.

In the past decade, Mexican cartels have surpassed Colombian traffickers as the ascendant force in the hemisphere: As they have moved into the United States, they also have taken control of Central American trafficking routes and now dominate the market in South American countries such as Peru, according to law-enforcement officials.

"Their idea is to control the whole economic process of production and distribution," said Georgina Sanchez, an independent security consultant in Mexico and executive director of a public-safety policy institute.

In Dayton, officials say Mexican traffickers are connected to the Federation, a loose group of trafficking organizations based in Sinaloa state. The Federation has fought a brutal, three-year war with its primary rival, the Gulf Cartel, for control of smuggling routes to the United States.

Its leader is Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, Mexico's most notorious drug capo, who attained an almost mythical stature after escaping from a federal prison in 2001. In recent months, the Federation, which officials say controls Pacific smuggling routes from Central America, has been torn apart by an internal feud that officials say is responsible for a spike in violence in Sinaloa.

Since Mexican President Felipe Calderon directed the Mexican military to confront the cartels in 2006, nearly 7,000 people, including hundreds of Mexican police and officials, have been killed in the drug violence.

Dispatch reporter Dean Narciso contributed to this story.
Market control

Principal Ohio cities registering the presence of Mexican cartels:

• Akron: Federation

• Cincinnati: Federation, Gulf Coast, Juarez

• Cleveland: Federation, Tijuana

• Columbus: Federation

• Dayton: Federation

• Hamilton: Juarez

• Toledo: Federation, Juarez

Source: National Drug Intelligence Center
Mexican trafficking alliances
The Gulf Cartel

Based in Matamoros, Tamauilipas, along the Texas border, it has been one of Mexico's two dominant cartels in recent years, strengthened by its armed wing the Zetas, highly trained military deserters blamed for bringing new levels of savagery to the drug wars. The cartel was weakened in 2007 with the extradition of leader Osiel Cardenas, currently awaiting trial in Houston.
The Federation

The result of a 2006 accord between several groups located in the Pacific state of Sinaloa, it is also called the Sinaloa Cartel. It's led by Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, Mexico's most-wanted drug trafficker. An internal rift has pitted the Beltran-Leyva organization against the Federation, leading to heavy fighting in Sinaloa. Atlanta officials say the Federation has become the dominant drug-trafficking organization in the Southeast, taking control from the Gulf Cartel.
Tijuana cartel

The cartel of the Arrellano-Felix family, the Tijuana cartel was once among Mexico's most powerful but has fallen on hard times, thanks to the arrests of several top capos. The cartel entered into a brief partnership with the Gulf Cartel. It has been the frequent target of Mexican military confrontations and might be breaking into smaller groups.
Juarez cartel

Another former powerhouse that has been reduced to second-tier status. The cartel formed part of the Federation after it entered into an agreement with the Sinaloa Cartel, which has moved into its previous zones of influence.

Sources: Stratfor, Congressional Research Service

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Columbus OH Flag
Re: Mexican gangs dominate Ohio drug trade [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #8789932 - 08/18/08 10:46 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Article hits home for me.  interesting to know where the whole sale drug trade comes from in Ohio

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #8793801 - 08/19/08 02:53 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

no doubt an interesting story. I know it is that way where I live but that is expected along the border. There is also a very bad meth problem down here, something that I didnt experience when I lived in the midwest

OfflineJesusRanch
Novice
 User Gallery

#9332985 - 11/29/08 06:28 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I heard about that. The weird thing is, i only have ever known, in all of ohio, for as long as ive lived, 1 heroine user in ohio, and i live in central columbus, and im always going somewhere. I dont think ive ever known somebody who knows somebody who uses heroine in ohio. But yeah, it is happening.

--------------------
"I come upon a silver striped mushroom and I fly-ly-ly-ly-ly, and I fly, fly..."

OfflineTreeMoss
I live in a Fox Hole

Re: Mexican gangs dominate Ohio drug trade [Re: JesusRanch]
    #9506155 - 12/28/08 09:05 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

JesusRanch said:
I heard about that. The weird thing is, i only have ever known, in all of ohio, for as long as ive lived, 1 heroine user in ohio, and i live in central columbus, and im always going somewhere. I dont think ive ever known somebody who knows somebody who uses heroine in ohio. But yeah, it is happening.

Ya, a lot of pharmi's; I did hear some years ago about heroin being in my city......and it' nothing compared to Columbus.  Then a couple of years ago I went out of town to hang out and smoke a little pot, some dude just got out of prison and had some heroin on him; he was stupid happy and hadn't even played around with it yet (post release control in Ohio too!).

If you went to prison, you'd probably meet the whole family that plays with that stuff (never saw it or touched it).  I'd probably take a sniff, but I'd never shoot anything; I freaking hate needles.

But I bet the Italians aren't so happy, they seem to have slipped under the radar for the longest time now.  It's hard to ship things up yourself like it used to be and the Mexicans rule the mule trade, plus with the gangster/rap culture people seem to accept them far more easily then what things used to be like as far as retail.

We had a Mexican get busted for some powder, a good bit for around here as far as bust go.  But I knew some Italians that were flying large amounts of cocaine around (a shit ton more than a kilo!).

Something about country airports and people that have Intelligence contacts that makes shipping cocaine or anything around a freaking breeze!

So the Mexicans just get caught a lot, that is all; so much freaking gangster attitude and nothing to back it up other than attitude.

The Italians are very politically networked in, they have been woven into the US Intel community for a long time with very thorough pasts; something young Mexican punks just dream about.

Plus the people that are in America from Mexico don't have the Columbian contacts like the people that stay in Mexico do; so the people in the States are just fringe tools.......easy to lose, so they make it seem more than what it really is (more of a social networking problem then a real distribution issue).

People don't hear about CIA people or people working under/with them getting busted for importing or distributing, they know way ahead of time what is known and so forth.

Poor kids from Mexico and US kids don't know spit until they read the discovery.......but you knew you were fucked just getting arrested/detained.......and surely when the indictment floated into the cell.

--------------------
Drug chemicals are going to be more abundant and survive longer than any anti-drug agendas.  Some of us are just ahead of the game, we already know what the future will understand.  Drugs weren't bad but how some people used them were and some people just were bad because they had to be.

OfflineShroomProphet
Grateful Dead to The Core
Male User Gallery

Loc: out on front street USA Flag
Re: Mexican gangs dominate Ohio drug trade [Re: TreeMoss]
    #11107508 - 09/22/09 06:19 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Being close to these areas in central and southwestern Ohio and knowing what goes in the area, its really amazing i never thought id see the heroin cocaine and weed sales be taken away from the black gangs and drug rings In Dayton and Hamilton, but its true, they don't really do it with mass Violence although they have at times, and then just disappear back to Mexico. For the main part they have taken over with shear bulk of  product with cheap heroin coke and weed, they simply offer allot more, more often, for allot cheaper prices and its hitting these towns hard, i bet its hitting other states just as hard or harder. its the power of the all mighty dollar senor.

--------------------

Edited by ShroomProphet (09/22/09 06:24 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Black morel (Morchella importuna) live culture on agar, Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service