Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFuknRowdy
Mountain Dewshbag... EXTREME!!!
Male
Loc: Yer Mom's House
Weird sizes on first flush
    #8789843 - 08/18/08 09:59 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I have an interesting problem that you all might be able to help with. I have 8 jars of BRF/Verm using the PR-Tek for simple minds, as the title struck a chord in me. I have 3 innocd with B+, 3 wtih PE and 3 with star gazer. 

2 of the B+ and all 3 PE were birthed at the same time, 3 days after 100% colonization.  The two B+ pinned about a week later, and the PE a week after that.

The fruits of the B+ cake had 2 or 3 shrooms on 1 that were huge, 5"-6" and nice and thick, while the rest were about an inch. The other cake had 1 fatty, about 3" and the rest were 1"-1/2".

I waited for them to get bigger, but they never did. Veils broke, etc. I figuered maybe first flush instability or something. Now my PE fruits are breaking their veils at no more than an inch long!!!

Humidity is around 100%, temp is at 77.6 F, i did not dunk and roll, but used the vermiculite core and syringe tek to rehydrate my cakes. Is this the source of my frustrations? any ideas? Thanks!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinespazn420
zombie mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Weird sizes on first flush [Re: FuknRowdy]
    #8789849 - 08/18/08 10:03 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like they dont have enough water. Sounds like one of my scenarios last year. Dunking always helps, I tend to dunk after every flush.

--------------------

InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

Re: Weird sizes on first flush [Re: spazn420]
    #8789933 - 08/18/08 10:47 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I would almost say for certain that its an issue with substrate moisture... not that big a deal though.. just dunk and roll.. its the tried and true way to hydrate your cakes...

I forget who did it, but if you search, you will find pics and a thread about "to dunk, or not to dunk".. the results are staggering..

OfflineFuknRowdy
Male
Re: Weird sizes on first flush [Re: DJYoshaBYD]
    #8790258 - 08/18/08 12:27 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

thanks guys, i just had top pull off about 4 of the penis envies at only an inch long because their veils had already broken!!! Definately dunking and rolling after this flush. Anybody have a pref for full rolling or just double end casing?

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #8790267 - 08/18/08 12:29 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Finer verm is better for rolling, if you dont have fine, simple blender it to get it finer.

Makes sense to roll the whole cake in the verm, as this will give the entire area of the cake a nice pinning enviroment (as longs as you keep it moist)

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Weird sizes on first flush [Re: veda_sticks]
    #8790530 - 08/18/08 01:22 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Definately dunking and rolling after this flush.

Dunk between flushes, but rolling after first flush can tend to increase the chances of contamination.  The reason is that contaminant spores naturally land on your cakes, and rolling in verm can hide and protect those spores, allowing them to germinate into the verm and grow.  Stick to rolling only prior to first flush.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineFuknRowdy
Male
Re: Weird sizes on first flush [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8791753 - 08/18/08 06:16 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Excellent point RR. I have been using a sterilized 12cc syringe to rehydrate my cakes through the verm core i left in the middle. thank god for the tip someone gave me or all these would be lost!! I just got through injecting te fruiting 1/2 pint cakes with almost 9cc's each, and i just injected them on saturday.  I've read some different teks for dunking and rolling, some involving adding boiled dogfood to the water, some using mineral or spring water instead of distilled water, boiled wild birdseed, so many teks are out there for this. Any ideas which ones are the best? I'm thinking mineral water maybe, i dont know if coating my cakes in dogfood water is the greatest idea lol. Thanks guys!

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #8791852 - 08/18/08 06:46 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I'd also like to tag in there, that from what I have read, Penis Envy grows great off of compost and poo, haven't heard anything great from growing off of cakes - probably going to want to avoid that next round with them.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Weird sizes on first flush [Re: c1dh3d]
    #8794219 - 08/19/08 07:16 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

i would never ever dunk in anything other than plain water. adding anything to the water will just give more food for nastys to try and get at your cake.

clean tap water is just fine, dunking in the fridge will slow any bacteria that may be in the water and after dunking rinse under the tap to cneen the surface of the cake.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlineabitavenger
3rd gear vtak
Male

Loc: east coast
Re: Weird sizes on first flush [Re: veda_sticks]
    #8794284 - 08/19/08 08:23 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

when i grew PE they broke their veil quite early and grew a while after that also

--------------------
Karma.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation